Jack White took a few shots at Lady Gaga in a recent interview with the U.K. edition of Esquire magazine -- and then came out swinging at England's NME and other websites for twisting some of his comments out of context. In the interview, White questioned the authenticity of Gaga's image, saying, "I don't think she lives it, because it's all artifice. It's all image with no meaning behind it. You can't sink your teeth into it. It's a sound bite. It's very of this age, because that's what people want."
NME, however, bent the quote's context to make it seem as if White was talking about Gaga's music, leading him to issue a statement in response to what he called "tabloidesque drama baiting by the press." White said, "I never said anything about her music, or questioned the authenticity of her songs in any way. I was in a conversation about the drawbacks of image for the sake of image . . . I don't like my comments about Lady Gaga's presentation being changed into some sort of negative critique of her music. If you're going to try to cause drama, at least get the quotes right."
- White added, "Peace to Lady Gaga and I fully congratulate and compliment her on her championing of gay rights issues and the momentum it's given to help create change."
- Although he has not spoken about specific artists in the past, White has never been afraid to share his opinions, as when he commented on the state of rock music itself a few years back: "It's changed definitions over the years, you know. Now it's sort of an energy drink, isn't it? So it's become an iconic sort of T-shirt at Target or something like that. I think that it's gonna be redefined again in the next 10 years. In more of the '60s and '70s, it was such a mystery and untouchable-ness to it. And now like in the age of sort of reality television, so many things are accessible that it's changing."
- White expands on this in the Esquire interview, saying, "The goal of modern celebrity is to make yourself into the lowest common denominator: 'Hey, I'm a guy just like you. I like a beer, a football game.' Especially in reality television, you'll see people will go as far as to make a fool out of themselves just to prove that . . . Twitter is the most perfect example of modern living."
- White has been touring in support of his debut solo album, Blunderbuss, which was released earlier this year. He plays this Friday (December 7th) at a radio festival in Oakland, California and on Sunday (December 9th) at one in Los Angeles.
WHAT DO YOU THINK??
- Should Jack White sue NME for clearly twisting his words?
- Has the media gotten to the point where you feel like you can't trust anything it prints?
- Would you rather see news take a little longer to get published if it means that the story is accurate?
- Do you agree with what White actually said about Gaga and her image?
INTERNET COMMENTS at MTV News -- agree or not?
Kieran wrote: "Sorry, Who even is Jack White? What does he do to inspire millions of teens suffering from bullying and health issues? How many number 1's does he have exactly? He isn't an international superstar and is clearly jealous."
Lucy wrote: "He hit it right on the head! She is a fraud."
DEBBYD wrote: "She's got a few good songs for sure, but she's in it for the money for sure! She is a bit of a copier too."
Glenn wrote: "Lady Gaga is a passing fad. Her music content is very thin and she lacks the physical attributes, dancing talent, and other characteristics of someone like Madonna."
nm0688 wrote: "Let's be honest here, Lady Gaga is not a passing fad, she's been around for over 5 years now. Yes she is artifice, she's even said it herself so he's just pointing out the obvious."
Fatney wrote: "Jack white is a nasty *****!"
Jack White On The Mystique Of Rock Music Changing
Read more at Spinner and Rolling Stone