Blink-182 has finalized the details of its upcoming release, an EP titled Dogs Eating Dogs. The set will feature five new songs and come in three different bundles: a $19.99 "Naughty Package" containing the digital EP, a T-shirt and Blink holiday card, a $54.99 "Nice Package" containing the EP, a holiday Blink fleece, wrapping paper and a card, and the $99.99 "Santa's Lap" edition, which features the EP, a limited edition print, the T-shirt, wrapping paper and the card. The EP, Blink's first independent release in 20 years, comes out December 18th and can be pre-ordered through Blink's website, www.blink-182.com. Read more at Rolling Stone
- Columbus, Ohio's annual Rock On The Range festival is expanding to three days in 2013, with the event taking place on Friday, May 17th, Saturday, May 18th and Sunday, May 19th at Columbus Crew Stadium. The lineup for the show, now in its seventh year, has yet to be announced, with concert promoters also promising added improvements and amenities. Pre-sale layaway tickets go on sale next Monday (November 26th) at 10:00 a.m. ET at the festival website, with VIP packages and other special offers starting on November 29th. Regular tickets go on sale in January 2013. Read more at Blabbermouth
- Slipknot and Stone Sour frontman Corey Taylor has revealed that he would like to record a collaboration with Justin Bieber. Taylor came up with the idea after seeing a fan mash-up of Slipknot's "Psychosocial" and Bieber's "Baby" that's racked up 12 million views on YouTube. Taylor said, "Everybody thought I'd be pissed about it, but I was blown away . . . I give him respect. He's a very talented kid and he goes above and beyond for his fans." (NME) Read more at Loudwire
- Former Metallica bassist Jason Newsted has launched a new official website with which he plans to "reconnect with all my fans and friends out there around the world . . . I want YOU to be the first to know about what's happening with me and all of my projects: past, present, and FUTURE!" Newsted plans to begin releasing new music in the near future under the name Newsted Heavy Metal Music through both digital and physical means. Check out the site at www.NewstedHeavyMetal.com. (Loudwire) Read more at Blabbermouth. Check out an interview at Blabbermouth, Loudwire and Classic Rock
CHECK IT OUT: Watch the Slipknot/Justin Bieber mash-up, "Psychosocial Baby":
Have a look at the introductory video on Jason Newsted's website:
- Adele and boyfriend Simon Konecki have been laying low since Adele gave birth to their son last month. The couple haven't even announced the little boy's name yet, however, close pal, Alan Carr says that Adele is doing great as a new mom. He said, "All I'll say is I have seen Adele's baby and he's such a cutie. She's doing great, she's glowing. Because we're friends, people will ask me on the red carpet if she's breast feeding or using a breast pump. Well, I think that's disgusting. This is a young girl. I'm not going to talk about her breasts."
- Blabbermouth reports AEROSMITH guitarist Joe Perry has shot down as "totally wrong and irrelevant" a report published in the Friday (November 16) edition of the New York Post, which claimed that the members of the band are "barely speaking to each other," with tensions rising in the group over the disappointing sales of its new album and the lack of sold-out shows on its current tour. Adding fuel to the fire, according to the New York Post, are continuing reports that singer Steven Tyler's engagement to Erin Brady is on the rocks, while his attorney and business manager, Dina LaPolt, is too busy filming her own reality show pilot to help Tyler through his problems. During an appearance on yesterday's (November 19) edition of the SiriusXM satellite radio show "Eddie Trunk Live", Perry debunked the rumors, saying, "It must have been a slow news week." Continued Perry: "We were wondering, 'Who's saying this?' and 'Why are they saying this?' It's totally wrong and irrelevant. The least they could have done was get [the facts] right… [The people they quoted] haven't have anything to do with the band in 10 or 12 years. The band is getting along better than ever. We were thinking about [releasing a statement], but then why even validate it by even answering?" Back in 2010, after another troubled period in the group's career, Tyler told The Pulse Of Radio that he thought AEROSMITH was too good a band to let their differences break them apart. "You know, sometimes differences do get in the way, but when we start playing together, it just is the truth of why we were both born and put on this planet," he said. "There's a lot of things that I hate Joe for saying and he hates me for saying, and things we've done back and forth, but this band is a band and married forever. So we may have our differences, but the marriage still holds, especially when there's a stage for us to get up on and rock out on." AEROSMITH's first set of all-new material in 11 years, "Music From Another Dimension!", debuted at No. 5 on the Billboard album chart last week, selling 63,000 copies in its first week of release. The group's last collection of new songs, 2001's "Just Push Play", entered the chart at No. 2 with sales of 240,000 copies. Another source added, "Tyler is very unhappy about the reception of the album, and is blaming [record label] Columbia." A spokesperson for the band told the Post, "AEROSMITH is doing great and on tour and on fire. Any claim to the contrary is absolutely false." Addressing the continuing questions about Tyler's relationship with Brady, the spokesperson replied, "As the New York Post has been told before, just as any couple goes through trials and tribulations in a relationship, Steven and Erin have asked for their privacy at this time. It's clear that someone is spreading false and malicious rumors, including stories about false tensions between Steven and Dina. To give them any credence would only empower them to disseminate more lies." Read more at Ultimate Classic Rock, Noisecreep and Rolling Stone Check out video of Brad Whitford checking in from Austin at Blabbermouth
- Blabbermouth reports during a recent interview with Vulture.com, singer Chris Cornell of reunited grunge legends SOUNDGARDEN was asked what he remembers most about opening for GUNS N' ROSES in 1991. "Without saying anything negative about [GUNS N' ROSES frontman] Axl [Rose], what I remember the most was Duff [McKagan] and Slash and everyone else being regular, sweet, warm guys in a rock band that just wanted to play rock music," he said. "And then, like, there was this 'Wizard Of Oz' character behind the curtain that seemed to complicate what was the most ideal situation they could ever have been in: They were the most successful and famous rock band on the planet. Every single show, hundreds of thousands of fans just wanted to hear songs. For some reason there seemed to be this obstacle in just going out and participating in that. That is what I remember the most. It's sad." Cornell also spoke about the addiction-related deaths that many people tend to associate with the Seattle grunge scene. "There’s something about losing friends, particularly young people, where it’s not something that you get over," he said. "I don’t believe there's a healing process. How do you, really? In what way can you stop and say, 'Well, it's god's will.' I always thought that line I've heard a million times — twice as bright but half as long — is bullshit. It's tragedy. I just carry all of that with me all the time. All I can do, if anything, out of respect for my friends that are no longer here, is to do my best to lead a good life and and take advantage of the fact that I'm still around, take the opportunities I have that they should've had."
- Blabbermouth reports Nikki Sixx is bringing the "best rock on the radio" into Best Buy stores. The MÖTLEY CRÜE bassist's "Sixx Sense"-branded mini-magazine can be seen at the "Sixx Sense Rock" displays in 700 Best Buy stores across the country. "The Sixx Sense: The Magazine" features more than 40 pages of exclusive content from the radio show, new interviews with Nikki Sixx, his "Sixx Sense" co-host Kerri Kasem, today's most relevant music artists, and much more. The magazine is also available for purchase on liBestBuy.com starting November 19. Sixx stated: "I am really proud and excited to extend the 'Sixx Sense - Best Rock On The Radio' campaign at Best Buy with a first-time-ever 'Sixx Sense' magazine. This is a partnership based on passion and love of music." In July, exclusive "Sixx Sense Rock" displays featuring a selection of rock albums curated in collaboration with Sixx debuted in Best Buy stores nationwide. Since then, a select album from the display has been highlighted on "Sixx Sense With Nikki Sixx" and SixxSense.com at a special price each week, and consumers have been given the chance to enter contests and win concert tickets, including a flyaway experience to see "The Tour", featuring MÖTLEY CRÜE and KISS. Each night on "Sixx Sense", the international rock icon, founder/bassist/songwriter of the world-renowned band MÖTLEY CRÜE and chart-topping band SIXX: A.M., two-time New York Times best-selling author, clothing designer, philanthropist and photographer Nikki Sixx discusses music and lifestyle topics as he gives listeners a backstage look at the world and mind of a rock star. Joined by co-host Kerri Kasem, Sixx provides his unique perspective and attitude as the duo welcomes celebrity guests, recording artists and fascinating characters from all walks of life.
- Blabbermouth reports MÖTLEY CRÜE frontman Vince Neil has added Tatuado vodka to his line of spirits which include Tatuado tequila. The singer launched his vodka at two separate Lee's Discount Liquor locations in Las Vegas this past weekend (November 17-18). "I am so excited to introduce [Las Vegas] to my new Tatuado vodka," Neil said, according to VegasNews.com. "Straight up or mixed, this is the ultimate vodka I am proud to call my own." Tatuado vodka is filtered five times and bottled in Las Vegas, which Neil has called home since 1995. Tatuado vodka sells for $13.99 at all Lee's Discount Liquor locations. Neil in August held a soft opening of his new expanded Tatuado Mexican restaurant and bar at the LVH, formerly the Las Vegas Hilton. The singer in 2007 introduced his signature line of tequila, Tres Rios. Vince in April 2011 completed all of the requirements of his sentence stemming from his DUI case. The sentence ordered him to serve 15 days of jail time, 15 days of house arrest, pay a $585 fine, attend DUI school and attend a victim-impact panel online. Neil failed three field sobriety tests and had a blood-alcohol level almost three times the legal limit during his June 27, 2010 Las Vegas arrest on suspicion of driving under the influence of alcohol.
- Blabbermouth reports Wendy Dio, the widow of legendary heavy metal singer Ronnie James Dio (DIO, BLACK SABBATH, RAINBOW, HEAVEN & HELL), says that BLACK SABBATH guitarist Tony Iommi's early detection has been key in his recovery from the early stages of lymphoma with which he was diagnosed late last year. Iommi received the "King Of Rock 'N Roll Award" at at the Ronnie James Dio Stand Up And Shout Cancer Fund's second awards gala, which was held on October 31 at the Avalon nightclub in Hollywood, California. Ronnie died of stomach cancer in May 2010 at the age of 67. At his public memorial service, Dio's son, Dan Padavona, cautioned the memorial crowd to be screened regularly by a doctor and take care of themselves, something he said his father did not do. "I beg you not to make the same mistake my dad made," said Padavona. "For dad, the show always had to go on. He ignored the warning signs for years, and all along the cancer was growing and mutating from something that was probably easily defeatable into a monster which even Dio couldn't slay." Speaking to Loudwire at yesterday's (Monday, November 19) press day at Julien's Auction House in Beverly Hills, California to promote a massive guitar auction with items donated by METALLICA, IRON MAIDEN, the FOO FIGHTERS, BON JOVI, Eddie Van Halen, and many more, Wendy said, "Tony was struggling with his own cancer, and hopefully … it's in remission, which [would be] fantastic. And that's early detection again, that was early. Maybe if Ronnie hadn't passed away, [Iommi] wouldn't have gotten checked early. We don't know, but that was early detection, and [the Ronnie James Dio Stand Up And Shout Cancer Fund ceremony] was great because he's been through so much this year and to honor him, that was great. And for Geezer [Butler] to give him the award was very, very special. All of honorees are special." She added, "We mainly deal with men's cancers and we find that men don't get [regularly] checked. Women are very good. Men have to be drug [to the doctor's office], but we're trying to make awareness that early detection saves lives and for your loved ones to save their lives by getting checked." Read more at Loudwire
- Blabbermouth reports according to concert promoter Creativeman Productions Co., Ltd., DUFF MCKAGAN'S LOADED, the band led by VELVET REVOLVER/ex-GUNS N' ROSES bassist Duff McKagan, and ADLER'S APPETITE, which features in its ranks original GUNS N' ROSES drummer Steven Adler, will join forces for a two-date Japanese tour on March 7-8, 2013. DUFF MCKAGAN'S LOADED's latest album, "The Taking", was released in April 2011 via Eagle Rock Entertainment. The CD landed at position No. 12 on the Top New Artist Albums (Heatseekers) chart, which lists the best-selling albums by new and developing artists, defined as those who have never appeared in the Top 100 of The Billboard 200. ADLER'S APPETITE, which focuses mainly on performing GUNS N' ROSES "Appetite for Destruction"-era covers, in April 2011 recruited singer Patrick Stone (ACES 'N' EIGHTS) and guitarist Lonny Paul following the departures of Rick Stitch and Alex Grossi. More recently, Adler has been busy recording and playing out with ADLER, his new band which also includes frontman Jacob Bunton (LYNAM, MARS ELECTRIC), guitarist Lonny Paul and bassist Johnny Martin (CHELSEA SMILES).
- Blabbermouth reports Canadian rockers RUSH were inducted earlier today (Tuesday, November 20) into Guitar Center's historic RockWalk. The exclusive, invite-only induction ceremony took place at noon at Guitar Center's Hollywood location on Sunset Boulevard. Legendary DJ Jim Ladd opened the event by reflecting upon RUSH's musical impact and welcoming the band to the stage. "We are very pleased to have been chosen by our peers and fellow musicians for induction in Guitar Center's RockWalk," said RUSH's Geddy Lee. "It is an honor to have our names added to this illustrious list of great and highly talented musicians." "Not only is RUSH extraordinary as a band, but each member is incredibly talented in their own right," said Dave Weiderman, Chairman of Guitar Center's RockWalk. "With nearly thirty years together, this group has consistently delivered skilled musicianship, experimental-drive and stylistically diverse rock to music fans worldwide. In short — RUSH is long deserving of being honored by Guitar Center's RockWalk." Check out video footage of the event below (courtesy of Artisan News). Photos can be found at Getty Images. Guitar Center's RockWalk is dedicated to honoring those artists who have made a significant impact and lasting contribution to the growth and evolution of rock 'n' roll, blues and R&B. As the newest RockWalk inductees, RUSH's handprints will reside alongside the handprints, signatures, and faces of other equally accomplished musicians and innovators such as Eric Clapton, George Martin, Jimmy Page, IRON MAIDEN, Carlos Santana, Johnny Cash, VAN HALEN, AC/DC, AEROSMITH, Marvin Gaye, James Brown, B.B. King, Stevie Wonder, RUN-D.M.C. and QUEEN, among numerous others. Read more at Classic Rock and Noisecreep
- Blabbermouth reports Chris Epting of AOL's Noisecreep recently conducted an interview with SHINEDOWN frontman Brent Smith. You can now watch the chat below. SHINEDOWN only just released its fourth album, "Amaryllis", earlier this year, but Brent Smith told NME TV in a new interview that he has a surprise for fans. Smith revealed, "I've thought about new material. It's funny because — and you're actually the very first person I'll tell this too — we've actually, we have another record of material. It's actually recorded." While not giving any details on what the album is called or when it might surface, Smith said about the music, "It's still very massive. It has a very epic feel to it, but the tempos are a little slower and the subject matter is a little different. I would say it's actually a bit darker — a little bit more mischievous." Smith also did not indicate whether the new disc was recorded at the same time as "Amaryllis" — which is quite possible since that set took 14 months to complete. SHINEDOWN will head out on the road with THREE DAYS GRACE and special guests P.O.D. beginning on February 1 in Moline, Illinois. "Amaryllis" , which debuted at No. 4 on the Billboard album chart, has produced the hit singles "Bully", "Unity" and "Enemies". Read more at Noisecreep
- Blabbermouth reports thrash metal veterans SLAYER have offered their own contribution to "ugly Christmas sweater," a ubiquitous feature of the holiday season which began to sprout up in the last several decades. "Ugly Christmas sweater" or "tacky Christmas sweater" parties have been a holiday staple for several years, but there have been very few places to actually buy these sweaters. That has since changed, according to Time magazine, which reports that vintage stores, the Salvation Army, and Goodwill are reaping the benefits of this craze, as are fast-fashion shops like H&M and high-end retailers such as Nordstrom. The SLAYER "ugly Christmas sweater" appears to be only available in the U.K. and can be purchased from Backstreet Merchandise. Check out other gifts at Loudwire
- Blabbermouth reports ANTHRAX bassist Frank Bello has scheduled two Hartke-sponsored clinics in Germany in late November and early December:
Nov. 26 - Session Music - Frankfurt, Germany
Dec. 01 - Hieber Lindberg - Munich, Germany
More information can be found on the poster here. In a recent interview with Full Metal Jackie's nationally syndicated radio show, Bello said about ANTHRAX's comeback 2011 album, "Worship Music", "After eight years, first off, it was hard enough to get the record out, just because getting management, lawyers out of the way all that garbage that gets in the way of music and personalities. We knew what we wanted ANTHRAX to be again — the real deal. 'Worship Music', we knew we had something special. We got Joey [Belladonna, vocals] in on it, and that was the cherry on top of it all. We're fans of this music, so we knew we had something good. Thankfully, the people, the fan base, has taken on this record — this is our biggest-selling record in a long time. It's just done really well, thank God, and thank the fans out there [for their] great support. That's why we're still on tour. In three weeks, we leave for a MOTÖRHEAD tour — pretty much all sold out in Europe, which is crazy. Think about it, 30 years in, Jackie, who would have thought we're still around — ANTHRAX, MOTÖRHEAD in Europe, selling out places. We're very lucky, we're humbled. It's a really nice thing that's going on and we couldn't be happier; we're stoked. Asked what has been the best thing about being in ANTHRAX in 2012, Bello said, "Well, right now it's nice to be back, and being accepted by not only our audience but there's a new audience out there: 15-, 16-year-old kids. I got 15-year-old kids coming up to me saying, 'You're an influence.' You don't realize how good that feels — it's something I've done right in my life and I'm very proud of it. It that kid could pick up a bass and feel the way I feel about it and make his day be a little bit better, that's what it's all about. It's like passing the torch a little bit. We've been lucky, we've had a great time, if I could make somebody feel as good as the bass and music has made me feel, that's what it's all about at this point."
- Blabbermouth reports "Stand Up", the new video from Massachusetts metallers ALL THAT REMAINS, can be seen below. The clip was directed by P.R. Brown (SLIPKNOT, BULLET FOR MY VALENTINE, MARILYN MANSON), who also collaborated with ALL THAT REMAINS on their recent album packaging and photos, and was filmed on location in New Hampshire. "Stand Up" comes off ALL THAT REMAINS' seventh album, "A War You Cannot Win", which sold 25,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release to land at position No. 13 on The Billboard 200 chart. The band's previous CD, "For We Are Many", opened with 29,000 units to enter the chart at No. 10. "Overcome", the 2008 CD from ALL THAT REMAINS, registered a first-week tally of 29,000 copies to debut at No. 16. "A War You Cannot Win" sees ALL THAT REMAINS reunited with longtime producer Adam Dutkiewicz (THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA, AS I LAY DYING, KILLSWITCH ENGAGE). The record is the culmination of an intense writing period for the group that began shortly after their 18-month tour in support of "For We Are Many". The "A War You Cannot Win" cover artwork was created by Paul R. Brown (STONE SOUR, SLIPKNOT, MÖTLEY CRÜE, KORN, GODSMACK, AVENGED SEVENFOLD) and can be seen below. ALL THAT REMAINS has created an exclusive new "A War You Cannot Win"-inspired super-limited-edition skate deck, which is available for purchase here.
"A War You Cannot Win" track listing:
01. Down Through The Ages 02. You Can't Fill My Shadow 03. Stand Up 04. A Call To All Non-Believers 05. Asking Too Much 06. Intro 07. Just Moments In Time 08. What If I Was Nothing 09. Sing For Liberty 10. Not Fading 11. Calculating Loneliness 12. A War You Cannot Win
ALL THAT REMAINS earlier in the month hit the road with DETHKLOK, MACHINE HEAD and THE BLACK DAHLIA MURDER. ALL THAT REMAINS is serving as direct support to DETHKLOK (alternating with MACHINE HEAD). The trek will make more than 30 stops throughout the United States and Canada before coming to an end in New York City. Read more at Loudwire
- Blabbermouth reports Metal Kaoz chief editor Dimitris Kontogeorgakos recently conducted an interview with GWAR frontman Oderus Urungus. During the chat, which can be streamed using the audio player below, Oderus revealed the working title of GWAR's next album: "Mad At The Sun". In a recent interview with Legendary Rock Interviews, Oderus Urungus stated about the progress of the songwriting sessions for the new GWAR CD, "We've gotten going on that. We've got, like, 13 new songs written already and lyrics for around half of them and pretty much the whole concept of the album as well. We knew that it was gonna take a while, but we've finally concluded our search for a new guitar player [Pustulus Maximus]. It took a long time to find a guitar player who could fill the shoes of Flattus Maximus. It was just a tremendous task for us to do. "As for the album, I think it's a heavy album, a metal album. I think it goes back to all different elements of the band. Is it a complete return to songs like 'Fish Fuck' or 'Fucking An Animal'? No. Does it have some of that same sense of humor? Yes… Does it rip as a metal record? Yes… most definitely. Is it afraid to be silly? No. Does it tell a story? Yes. Do I think GWAR fans are gonna love it? Yeah, because I think it's the best album we've ever written. That's what we set out to do and that's the only thing you can do after going through a tragedy like losing a guitar player, a friend, a guy who was that important to your music. It's do-or-die time with this band and that will be what happens with the next GWAR album. GWAR will always live forever but will GWAR always put out metal albums? A lot of that will be decided when we see how people react to our new record."
- Blabbermouth reports just in times for the holidays, KING DIAMOND's "No Presents For Christmas" single is being re-released on vinyl for the first time in over 25 years. It will be made available exclusively through independent retail as part of Record Store Day Black Friday (November 23). November 23 will mark the second year of Record Store Day Black Friday, with participating stores offering their hardcore customers limited-edition vinyl, CDs, DVDs, box sets, and even a set of music-themed trading cards. Record Store Day celebrates the culture of independent record stores by playing host to in-store events/performances, signings and special product releases on a global scale. For a store near you, go to this location. "No Presents For Christmas" was originally released on December 25, 1985, with the track "Charon" on the B-side. It was the first music released by Danish heavy metal singer King Diamond's then-new band after the breakup of MERCYFUL FATE. One of KING DIAMOND's most well-known songs, "No Presents For Christmas" can also be found on the reissue of KING DIAMOND's first album, "Fatal Portrait".
- Blabbermouth reports WARRANT drummer Steven Sweet underwent neck surgery yesterday (Monday, November 19) and is "at home and on the mend," according to a posting on the band's Facebook page. "His wife will take great care of him as he heals," the message adds. WARRANT's new album, "Rockaholic", was released in North America on May 17, 2011 via Frontiers Records. At the helm of the CD was mega-producer Keith Olsen (OZZY OSBOURNE, WHITESNAKE, SCORPIONS), with the mixing duties having been handled by Pat Regan (KISS, DEEP PURPLE, TED NUGENT). Read more at Noisecreep
- Blabbermouth reports German guitar legend Uli Jon Roth will return to North America for a special tour commemorating his 40th anniversary of joining the SCORPIONS. Uli plans on celebrating this anniversary with a one-of-a-kind show that features an entire set of SCORPIONS material as well as selections from his extensive solo catalog. Every concert on the tour will be recorded for a live album documenting this amazing milestone in Uli's career. The tour is currently scheduled to kick off January 25 in Los Angeles, California and run through March 3. Says Uli: "Celebrating my 40th anniversary of joining the band, we will play a full set of SCORPIONS songs alongside my more recent material. We will feature several songs from each of the albums that I played on, including some, which have not been played live before. I'm really looking forward to it. Hope to see you there!" Because of his ground-breaking, highly innovative and distinctive trademark guitar work, Uli is widely regarded as being one of the greatest guitarists of all time. As one of the main founding members of the SCORPIONS, Uli wrote much of the material for the band's first five albums, which include the hugely successful live album "Tokyo Tapes". These early SCORPIONS years with Uli, Klaus Meine and Rudolf Schenker as the nucleus were absolutely essential in shaping what is now considered the classic SCORPIONS sound. Uli is regarded as a significant influence by many notable guitar players, including, but not limited to, Slash, Eddie Van Halen, Joe Satriani, Kirk Hammett, Steve Vai and Yngwie Malmsteen. Having collaborated and shared the stage with the likes of the SMASHING PUMPKINS, DEEP PURPLE, Brian May, Jack Bruce, UFO, and many others, Uli continues to inspire and pave the way for musicians and fans alike. After his departure from the SCORPIONS, Uli Jon Roth embarked on a successful career as a solo artist, producing highly influential albums with his band ELECTRIC SUN, as well as performing classical concertos with orchestras. Uli also invented his own instrument the legendary six-octave Sky Guitar, which is currently on the market as a limited-edition signature model. In addition to his 40th-anniversary shows, Uli will also be offering his world renowned Sky Academy seminars while he is on the road in North America. These introductory seminars are not just aimed at guitarists, but fans and even non-musicians may well find plenty to gain from Uli's unique way of talking about some of the deeper mysteries of music. For some people Sky Academy has even been a life-changing experience, because Uli's teaching can open up completely new ways of experiencing music. The aim of Sky Academy is to provide knowledge and inspiration to those who take guitar playing seriously and to help them reach a new plateau. The seminars are designed to open musicians' eyes to new possibilities and to trigger an awakening of the student's full potential and talent. Special emphasis is given to inspirational concepts rather than just technical means. Sky Academy is designed to teach particularly those things which are not normally touched upon in music teaching, but which provide a true gateway to mastery. Tickets for the introductory seminars are available through the individual venues and can also be purchased at this location.
Uli Jon Roth live:
Two-day "Sky Academy" seminar
Jan. 21 - Santa Monica, CA @ Santa Monica Playhouse
Jan. 22 - Santa Monica, CA @ Santa Monica Playhouse
Jan. 25 - Los Angeles, CA @ Whiskey (w/ Warren DeMartini)
Jan. 26 - Santa, CA @ Malone's
Jan. 27 - San Diego, CA @ Brick by Brick*
Jan. 31 - Milwaukee, WI @ Shank Hall
Feb. 01 - Detroit, MI @ Token Lounge
Feb. 06 - New York, NY @ Stage 48*
Feb. 07 - White Marsh, MD @ House of Rock
Feb. 08 - Montreal, QC @ Le National
Feb. 09 - Toronto, ON @ The Rock Pile*
Feb. 10 - Toronto, ON @ The Rock Pile
Feb. 12 - Ottawa, ON @ The Brass Monkey
Feb. 13 - Sellersville, PA @ Sellersville Theater
Feb. 16 - Savage, MN @ Neisen's Sports Bar & Grill
Feb. 17 - Chicago, IL @ Reggie's Rock Club*
Feb. 23 - Corona, CA @ Marquee 15
Feb. 26 - Seattle, WA @ El Corazon
Feb. 27 - Portland, OR @ Hawthorne Theater
* Denotes shows with Sky Academy seminars
- Blabbermouth reports "Hard To Say Goodbye", the new video from GREAT WHITE — Mark Kendall (lead guitar), Scott Snyder (bass), Audie Desbrow (drums), Michael Lardie (guitar, keyboards) and Terry Ilous — can be seen below. The clip was filmed on September 23 in Orlando, Florida and was helmed by the Flatbush South production team. "Hard To Say Goodbye" comes off GREAT WHITE's latest album, "Elation", which sold around 1,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release. Issued on May 22 via Frontiers Records, the 12-song CD marks GREAT WHITE's first effort with Ilous following the band's split with founding singer Jack Russell. This version of GREAT WHITE is not to be confused with JACK RUSSELL'S GREAT WHITE, which features Russell alongside Robby Lochner (FIGHT) on guitar, Matthew Johnson (DOCTOR M, JACK RUSSELL) on guitar, Dario Seixas (FIREHOUSE, STEPHEN PEARCY) on bass and Derrick Pontier (GREAT WHITE, SAMANTHA 7) on drums. Russell filed a lawsuit against his estranged bandmates in March claiming that they fired him and stole the group's name while he was recovering from surgery to repair a perforated bowel. Named in the complaint were Kendall, Desbrow, Lardie and talent agency Bigg Time Entertainment. Kendall, Desbrow and Lardie responded with a 30-page counterclaim, filed on April 24 in a federal court in Los Angeles, accusing their former frontman of, among other things, "miss[ing] 80 performances in 18 months" before leaving the band; "irreparably damag[ing]" their "market reputation" by putting on performances that "are not up to the standard of GREAT WHITE; and misleading the public by stating that the musicians in Jack's new band "were once full members of GREAT WHITE." They also accuse Russell's new bandmates of "profit[ing] from their wrongful affiliation with the GREAT WHITE brand." Read more at Classic Rock and Noisecreep
- Blabbermouth reports "Honor Way Down", the debut album from PRIMITIVE OVERFLOW, the progressive rock project featuring Los Angeles-based guitarist/songwriter Hoyt Binder and ENUFF Z' NUFF singer Donnie Vie, is available now from ProgRock Records. The CD features "progressive cuts with power pop hooks that both sound current and evoke the early progressive scene, when rock and roll was a very spiritual matter," according to a press release. Inspired by "The Creative," Binder creates music for the sake of music. With influences ranging from 20th-century composers to jazz, rock, metal, funk, pop and folk, he aspired to write an album with no boundaries. Everything melds into the progressive melting pot that is PRIMITIVE OVERFLOW. The end result is a unique sound, integrating progressive rock with catchy pop vocals, dripping with melody. This album's progressive shoes were fulfilled by the powerhouse of Paulo Gustavo on bass and Chris Quirarte (REDEMPTION) on drums with the brilliant Ronald Van Deurzen on keyboards. Even in the most complex passages, the band manages to keep a rough, organic vibe that keeps the music true to its rock roots. All virtuosos in their own right, the band raised the bar, highlighting the need for a high profile singer to make this album come to life.
"Honor Way Down" track listing:
01. Turnin' Round
02. Caving In
03. Day To Day
04. Honor Way Down
05. Midnight Rendezvous
06. Follow Me
07. Waiting For You
08. Listen Honey
09. Our Praylude
Donnie Vie (ENUFF Z'NUFF) - vocals
Hoyt Binder - Guitar, Vocals
Ronald Van Deurzen - Keyboards, Hammond b-3
Paulo Gustavo - Bass
Chris Quirarte (REDEPTION) - Drums
- Blabbermouth reports the December 1 concert from German thrash metal veterans KREATOR at Huxley's Neue Welt in Berlin, Germany will be broadcast live via the Internet at Tape.tv. For more information, go to this location. On November 9, KREATOR released a new seven-inch single, "Civilization Collapse" (retail version: black; Nuclear Blast mailorder-only version: red, yellow, white) and as a digital download. The single contains the title cut backed by the non-album track "Wolfchild", which was featured on the "Dark Symphonies - A Tribute To John Sinclair" album, released this past September in Germany via Lübbe-Audio. The band also made a video for the song "Civilization Collapse", which is said to be "mainly about the riots that took place in Greece most recently." While researching the above-mentioned riots, the KREATOR art direction team became aware of Marios Lolos, president of the Greek union of journalistic photographers. In the past, Greek photographers have become victims of police brutality and Marios himself barely got out alive when he was subjected to one of these extreme attacks. When KREATOR showed Marios the song and the lyrics, he immediately agreed participate by offering parts of his huge photographic archives.
A still photo from the "Civilization Collapse" video can be seen below. "Civilization Collapse" comes off KREATOR's new album, "Phantom Antichrist", which sold 3,900 copies in the United States in its first week of release. The CD landed at No. 1 on the Top New Artist Albums (Heatseekers) chart, which lists the best-selling albums by new and developing artists, defined as those who have never appeared in the Top 100 of The Billboard 200.
- Blabbermouth reports Vertikal", the new studio album from Swedish "art rockers" CULT OF LUNA, will be released in Europe on January 25 via Indie Recordings and in the U.S. on January 29, 2013 through Density Records. In addition to the regular CD, there will be released a limited edition of "Vertikal", including one bonus track. The vinyl will also be available through Back On Black.
"Vertikal" track listing:
01. The One (02:16)
02. I: The Weapon (09:24)
03. Vicarious Redemption (18:51)
04. The Sweep (03:09)
05. Synchronicity (07:13)
06. Mute Departure (09:08)
07. Disharmonia 00:45)
08. In Awe Of (09:56)
09. Passing Through (06:03)
10. The Flow Reversed (limited-edition bonus track)
According to a press release, "Vertikal" marks a much-anticipated return for the band after five years spent cultivating the ideas and directing the influences that have helped form a concept for the album. Distilled throughout are themes of machinery, repetition and clear, linear structures honed to the visual imagery of Fritz Lang's classic expressionist science fiction film "Metropolis". The music broods, builds and boils as you may expect from CULT OF LUNA, but never overcomplicates itself or veers from its intentions; it is arguably their finest and most cohesive piece of work to date. Commented the band: "Before we started writing, we were keen to find a theme that in a very direct way could be shown through the music, and we hope to have achieved this. We developed clear structures — very linear, refusing to over complicate the writing process. "We realize fans have been waiting for what seems like an age for us to return to the live arena properly, but we were not keen on playing shows before we had the new material ready. There have been changes, and we wanted to come back on our own terms with something completely new. It is very important for us to transpose the idea of a new album into the live setting, to not tread water, and to include the fans in what we’ve been working on; you will be hearing this very soon." CULT OF LUNA will return to the live arena for a full European tour, with a new set of dates just announced in April and May in addition to the previously announced period around the album's release in January and February. There are U.S. dates being planned and the band intend to tour further in late 2013. CULT OF LUNA released a hardback book/audiobook called "Eviga Riket" on February 23, 2010 via C.O.L Press. According to the band, the book is "a short story covering the life and times of Mr. Holger Nilsson, the full story behind the 'Eternal Kingdom' [CULT OF LUNA's latest album] theme. The book will be bilingual, written in Swedish and translated into English. The narrated versions of this short story is accompanied by newly written CULT OF LUNA pieces and soundscapes." CULT OF LUNA's DVD, "Fire Was Born", was released in April 2009 via Earache Records). Along with an epic live show recorded on July 1, 2008 at Scala in London, England, the disc — which was mixed, edited and designed by the band — features footage of mainman Johannes Persson and Anders Teglund (keyboards) answering questions from fans all around the world and the videos for "The Watchtower", "Leave Me Here" and "Back To Chapel Town".
- Blabbermouth reports Italian metallers ECHOTIME have inked a deal with logic(il)logic Records. The band's debut album, "Genuine", will be released in late December. According to a press release, ECHOTIME "is inspired and influenced by artists such as DREAM THEATER, SYMPHONY X, KAMELOT, QUEEN, Ronnie James Dio, Jorn Lande, PAIN OF SALVATION, CIRCUS MAXIMUS and WINGER. It tries to create a personal sound, different from progressive and metal cliché and contaminated by pop, rock, latin and funk styles, influenced by soundtracks from action and adventure movies, with a unique attention to arrangements and sounds. With its music, strength, energy, the costumes used to perform and the catchy atmospheres, the band involves the audience and drags it to ECHOTIME's world!"
Alex "Kage" Cangini - Vocals
Federico "Face" Fazi - Drums
Andrea "Bana" Anastasi - Guitar
Stefano "Ego" Antonelli - Bass
Filippo " Phil" Martignano - Keyboards
- Blabbermouth reports Fort Worth, Texas- based duo PINKISH BLACK has inked a deal with Century Media Records. The band is currently touring and working on a new record, expected to be recorded by the end of the year. PINKISH BLACK consists of Jon Teague on drums and Daron Beck on vocals/synthesizer. They are the continuation of THE GREAT TYRANT, a three-piece that released one LP posthumously following the passing of their bass player, Tommy Atkins. THE GREAT TYRANT was on its way to redefining what heavy music was. When Atkins died, the only changes were the name and how to achieve this as a two-piece, the latter being no small feat. PINKISH BLACK's last, self-titled album, released on Handmade Birds, featured seven tracks of dark, intense and, at times, haunting songs. As one of the heaviest bands of late to feature no stringed instruments, PINKISH BLACK uses aura and emotions to attain what other bands (and a lot of Orange amps and down-tuned guitars) fail to do. "We're excited at the possibilities that working with Century Media presents to us, and that lots of touring and recording will follow," said PINKISH BLACK in a statement.
- Blabbermouth reports After countless delays, THE ASCENDANT's debut EP was finally unleashed as a MCD earlier this month through Daemon Worship Productions. "The Spiritual Death EP" gathers 13 minutes of transcendental black metal composed and performed by Daniel (EXCESSUM) and Lars (MARDUK) with the aid of K.W. (AD HOMINEM) on vocals. Conceptually dealing with transmutation and spiritual death, it is somewhat ironic that this EP was recorded back in 2007 and only now, half a decade of semi-constant movement and transformation later, it is ready to manifest. The effort was released first as a seven-inch single and is now followed by an MCD version, designed to look exactly like a mini copy of the vinyl. For more information, visit www.theascendant.se.
- Loudwire posts an interview with All That Remains’ Mike Martin on "A War You Cannot Win" and bunking with Adam Dutkiewicz of Killswitch Engage
- Loudwire reports Hurt and Smile Empty Soul unite for joint cover of Alice in Chains’ "No Excuses"
- Loudwire reports James Iha on Smashing Pumpkins reunion: "Never Say Never"
- Noisecreep posts an interview with T&N: Ex-Dokken bassist Jeff Pilson reunites With His former bandmates and rocks hard again
- Noisecreep posts Gypsyhawk's 3rd blog from the road
- Noiscreep posts the prmieres of Unconscious Disturbance, "Flip" and "Chameleon"
- Spinner reports Fiona Apple postpones South American Tour to be with dying dog. Read more at Rolling Stone
- Rolling Stone reports Bad Brains dedicate new record to Adam Yauch
- Rolling Stone posts a flashback: The Sex Pistols come to a chaotic end
- Rolling Stone reports Flaming Lips' Wayne Coyne causes bomb scare at Oklahoma City airport
- Blabbermouth posts a video of Smashing Pumpkins' Billy Corgan's rig rundown
- Blabbermouth posts the fifth "The Taking" episode from Duff McKagan
- Blabbermouth posts interviews with Soundgarden, Tremonti, Buckcherry on Ronnie James Dio, The Rods frontman on Ronnie James Dio, Black Label Society, Geoff Tate on why he does not like to sing "Queen Of The Reich" anymore, Megadeth's guitarist on his technique, The Sword, Epica, Shadows Fall, Soulfly's Max Cavalera on his new tattoos, Butcher Babies, Voivod, Opeth guitarist, Pain and Cannibal Corpse drummer and Shadowside singer
- Blabbermouth posts performance footage from Nightwish in Helsinki, Dio Disciples at at U.K's Bloodstock Open Air Festival and Sanctuary at U.K's Bloodstock Open Air Festival
Read more quick hits at Noisecreep