Paul McCartney kicks off his 2012 North American dates Sunday night (November 11th) in St. Louis at the Scottrade Center. The mini-tour will wind up on November 28th in Edmonton's Rexall Palace. Along the way, "Macca" will take stops in Houston and Vancouver. The shows are shaping up to be be the Former Beatle's final performances of the year.
McCartney was asked why with such a well-oiled, tight, professional band he still undergoes a daily soundcheck prior to a lengthy evening gig: "The real answer is, 'We love it.' So, y'know, whenever we kind of get to the place, we've got to give our (sound) man out front a chance to get his mics up, check that they're all working, and so they do a tech test first of all -- but then we come in for the last three-quarters of an hour, or something, and do that. But we love it. Y'know, it's a nice opportunity to try out some new numbers, just do some stuff that we don't normally do. I enjoy solo-ing, I play a bit more lead guitar than I would normally. I only get a chance to do a couple of bits in the show -- but it's really just we enjoy playing together, that's the truth of it."
- Paul McCartney tour dates (subject to change):
November 11 - St. Louis, MO - Scottrade Center
November 14 - Houston, TX - Minute Maid Park
November 25 - Vancouver, BC - BC Place
November 28, 19 - Edmonton, AB - Rexall Place
- Out now is Paul McCartney's new version of Mel Torme and Bob Wells' 1946 yuletide standard, "The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting On An Open Fire)," which is Holidays Rule compilation released by McCartney's label, Hear Music on October 30th.
- The track, which is an outtake from his recent standards collection, Kisses On The Bottom, is co-billed to his main collaborator on the album, jazz pianist -- and Elvis Costello's wife -- Diana Krall.
- Other artists include the Shins -- who cover McCartney's 1979 holiday classic, "Wonderful Christmastime," Rufus Wainwright featuring Sharon Van Etten, Fruit Bats, and Punch Brothers, among others.
- Coming to DVD and Blu-ray disc on November 13th is Paul McCartney's latest live concert collection -- Live Kisses.
- The set, which was recorded at L.A.'s legendary Capitol Studios on February 9th, features the former Beatle running through 13 tracks from his recent Top 10 hit standards collection, Kisses On The Bottom.
CHECK IT OUT: Paul McCartney in Montreal performing "Junior's Farm" live in 2011:
Paul McCartney On Loving Soundcheck Jams