The Black Keys have teamed with rapper RZA on a new song called "The Baddest Man Alive" for the soundtrack of RZA's debut as a feature film director, The Man With The Iron Fists. The Keys and RZA collaborated previously on a track called "Dollars And Sense" from the Keys' rap/rock project Blakroc. The soundtrack to The Man With The Iron Fists comes out on October 23rd, with the film opening on November 2nd. (Rolling Stone)
- Finnish rock cello act Apocalyptica have gotten behind the Pink Ribbon campaign in their home country for breast cancer research. A number of well-known Finns have pledged their support by promising to do something unusual when the campaign reached sales of 30,000 pink ribbons in support of the cause. Apocalyptica said in a statement, "To celebrate sales of 30,000 pink ribbons, we play (the Black Sabbath song) 'Paranoid' (in Finland 'play 'Paranoid' is the slogan people shout on every show for every band) . . . Hope you'll have fun with this and please take part in your local Pink Ribbon campaigns all over the world!!!" (Blabbermouth)
CHECK IT OUT: Listen to the new Black Keys and RZA collaboration:
WATCH: See Apocalyptic perform the Black Sabbath classic "Paranoid":
Tom Petty's eBay auction for his 1996 Jaguar XJS Convertible is now running, with all proceeds going to benefit Doctors Without Borders. Petty explained in the auction's press release, "I have so many great memories associated with this car. When I began dating Dana (my wife) I asked her what her favorite car was. So, I phoned the office and said I wanted a Champagne convertible Jaguar XJS. The next day they delivered it to my house and showed me how everything worked and I took it for a drive down the Pacific Coast Highway. I was in heaven, as was Dana. This car has such and incredible design. My favorite car I ever owned. We sure are going to miss it."
- The auction wraps on Sunday, October 21st at 2 p.m. PDT.
- Doctors Without Border is an international medical humanitarian organization created by doctors and journalists in France in 1971. It provides "independent, impartial assistance in more than 60 countries to people whose survival is threatened by violence, neglect, or catastrophe, primarily due to armed conflict, epidemics, malnutrition, exclusion from health care, or natural disasters." Read more at Ultimate Classic Rock and Rolling Stone
CHECK IT OUT: The direct link to the auction: http://conta.cc/Porygm
- Coming on December 4th will be the 35th Anniversary Edition of Eric Clapton's 1977 classic album, Slowhand. In addition to a remastered version of the album, which contained such favorites as "Cocaine," "Wonderful Tonight," "Lay Down Sally," and "The Core," the set will feature four previously unreleased bonus tracks: "Looking At The Rain," "Alberta," "Greyhound Bus Stars," and "Strays And Ashtrays."
- The set also includes a bonus disc capturing Clapton and his band in concert on April 27th, 1977 at London's Hammersmith Odeon, performing such Cream, Blind Faith, Derek & The Dominos, covers, and solo gems as "Hello Old Friend," "Sign Language," "Alberta," "Tell The Truth," Knockin' On Heaven's Door," "Steady Rolling Man," "Can't Find My Way Home," "Further On Up the Road," "Stormy Monday," "Badge," "Nobody Knows You (When You're Down And Out)," "I Shot The Sheriff," "Layla," and "Key To The Highway."
- Slowhand is being released in five formats: CD - Original album remastered; Two CD Deluxe Edition; LP - Original album remastered; Three CD / One Audio DVD / one LP Super Deluxe Edition, and as a Digital Download. (Vintage Vinyl News) Read more at Ultimate Classic Rock and Classic Rock
- Add Deep Purple co-founder Ritchie Blackmore to the list of rockers who have no interest in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. The guitarist, who left Deep Purple for the final time back in 1993 and now performs with girlfriend Candice Night in the folk duo, Blackmore's Night, said of the Rock Hall: "Personally, I couldn't care less. I would never go. I'm not really a fan of that stuff. Considering some of the people that are in the Hall of Fame, I'm not sure if it's a good idea, so I don't care one way or the other, actually.. . . I think our fans seem to care more than I do. They're always saying, 'You should be in the Hall of Fame. You should be in this, you should be in that. . .' If I can pay the bills, that's all I care about." (Billboard) Read more at Blabbermouth, Ultimate Classic Rock and Classic Rock Check out a stream of "Machine Head" remastered at Classic Rock
- Thin Lizzy leader and guitarist Scott Gorham announced via the band's Facebook page that they are scrapping plans for a new album under the Thin Lizzy name, claiming that they group is doing so in respect to founder Phil Lynott, who died inn 1986 -- and despite the fact that they've been touring with various lineups since 1996. Gorham posted: "Out of respect to Phil Lynott and the legacy he created, we have decided that we should not release a new album under the Thin Lizzy name. It was a very difficult decision as we put a lot of time and effort into re-building the Thin Lizzy brand over recent years. . . Releasing a new album was the only way to continue this success. We all know how much Phil meant to this band and the fans. We will release this material soon and you will be hearing some great new music with the classic Thin Lizzy sound intact. We will announce future plans early in the New Year."
- Lead singer Ricky Warwick, who joined the band in 2009, made it clear that Thin Lizzy is packing it in -- or at least retiring the name for future dates and recordings: "Without a new album to gain new press and keep the momentum we have built up over the past two years, we are worried the Thin Lizzy brand and all it stands for will diminish to a point we would never want to see. Therefore our regular touring as Thin Lizzy will cease at the end of this year after our European tour. I do want to stress that this does not necessarily mean we will never play together again as Thin Lizzy. If there are options for other parts of the world, in territories that this lineup has never visited, then we may still play odd shows in 2013 and beyond if people want to see us." (Ultimate Classic Rock) Read more at Blabbermouth and Classic Rock
- Blabbermouth reports according to The Hollywood Reporter, Steven Tyler's former manager has filed a lawsuit against the AEROSMITH singer's current lawyer, claiming she cost Tyler a $6 to $8 million pay raise in 2011 in his contract for another season with "American Idol". Kovac Media Group (d/b/a Tenth Street Entertainment), which served as Tyler's personal manager, brought in a lawyer, Dina LaPolt, to help negotiate a new deal for the rocker at the end of "Idol"'s last season. The lawsuit, which was filed in Los Angeles Superior Court, claims LaPolt told "American Idol"'s agent that Tenth Street Entertainment's principal, Allen Kovac, "overplayed his hand with his aggressive behavior" and that "American Idol" could get the Artist for cheap, thereby undermining and negating Kovac's/the Artist's position in the negotiations." Tyler announced his departure from "Idol" in July after serving as a judge for two seasons on the hit Fox program. The AEROSMITH frontman explained that he wanted to refocus on his music career. Although he seemed to enjoy his two-year stint on "American Idol", Tyler recently admitted that the show was actually "not my cup of tea." He said he only signed up for the show because he was feuding with his AEROSMITH bandmates and it was "something to do while the storm blew by." He explained to Rolling Stone, "I loved it and hated it. It was a great job, I sat next to J. Lo and I made a ton of money. It was a moment in life and it became larger than life." However — he said he didn't like the pressure he felt to be mean to the contestants. He explained, "The show's about kids and what you do to nurture their talent. They wanted me to take the piss out of the kids and I don't have that in me. That's not what I'm about. That's more about that other guy. Not me."
- Blabbermouth reports according to TalkTVWorld.com, Ozzy Osbourne and his wife/manager Sharon will be interviewed on this weekend's edition of "CBS Sunday Morning With Charles Osgood". Regarding their MTV reality show "The Osbournes", Sharon said, "Our lives were never the same again. Everybody's grown up with Ozzy, everybody loves Ozzy, but for us we were a family. You know, we weren't in the public eye at all, and it changed our lives so much." On the topic of Sharon's battle with colon cancer, which happened during the run of "The Osbournes", Ozzy said, “I watched my wife battle cancer for nine months, having three chemotherapy treatments for nine months. And every time she'd have her chemotherapy she'd get really whacked out and she'd be throwing up and seizures and all this. I was like, 'I'm watching my wife die in front of the cameras.'" The full interview will be broadcast October 14 on "CBS Sunday Morning With Charles Osgood" at 9:00 a.m. ET on the CBS television network. Read more at Loudwire
- Blabbermouth reports a live KISS interview was abruptly terminated after the band's frontman accused the hosts of the show of not having done their homework in preparation for the chat. During a promotional junket of radio interviews to promote their brand new album, "Monster", KISS members Paul Stanley and Tommy Thayer spoke by phone to Houston, Texas-based nationally syndicated personalities John Walton or Steve Johnson, better known as "Walton & Johnson" (hear audio below). After one of the show hosts opened the interview by asking Stanley if KISS was "still playing" and "going around town to town with your sticks and your guitars and your makeup," Stanley tersely replied, "Yeah, we're still doing that," before questioning the DJ, "You still have a job?" The radio hosts said, "We're still doing ours. That's today. May not be tomorrow." Stanley then belittled the two DJs, saying, "I was listening a little earlier. I'm surprised you're on. But hey, let's make the most of this." One of the hosts then asked Stanley, "When are you all coming to Houston?" to which an audibly annoyed Stanley responded, "Well, we were there, but I guess you were locked up, 'cause we were just there recently and had a big, sold-out show at the outdoor amphitheater in Woodlands." One of the DJs then asked, "Where is the rest of the tour taking you?" to which Stanley replied, "The tour is over. But we have a new album out called 'Monster'. I'm glad you did your homework. And you are who? Walter and Johnson?" At that point, one of the DJs decided to the phone call, saying, "I've gotta let you go. This is B.S. Why were we forced to talk to these jackasses?" The other host replied, "I'm not sure. I thought they had something to say." "I don't even like' em," the first DJ concluded. Read more at Ultimate Classic Rock
- Blabbermouth reports POISON's Bret Michaels and TWISTED SISTER's Dee Snider will appear in the first-ever "All-Star Celebrity Apprentice", it was announced earlier today (Friday, October 12) on NBC's "Today" show. The new series will start shooting on Monday for a March 2013 premiere. One month after suffering a brain hemorrhage and just days after being re-admitted to the hospital for a warning stroke, Michaels won the title of "The Celebrity Apprentice" in May 2010, beating out actress Holly Robinson Peete. Michaels recently told CBSNews.com that he was honored to be a part of the NBC show. "It's such an amazing addition to my life and where it's gone," he said. "I think that winning 'Apprentice' was such an amazing amazing feeling," Michaels added. "At the very end of ours, it came down to three people... Sharon Osbourne, myself and Holly Robinson Peete. And all three were fighting for three very personal causes. Holly's son with autism, Sharon fighting for colon cancer, which has affected her, and me with my diabetes... Passion supersedes everything. You can have as much arguing and fighting as you want but when people are actually fighting for a real cause close to their heart, then that makes it the best emotion to watch." Snider was fired from "The Celebrity Apprentice" in April but only after raising $325,000 for the March Of Dimes by winning a challenge. The TWISTED SISTER singer told Parade that he went out of his way to avoid arguing with the likes of Debbie Gibson and Arsenio Hall while vying for the "Apprentice" title. "I was terrible in [TWISTED SISTER]. I was the lead singer, so I was selfish and self-absorbed," Snider said. "I tried to learn from that and be a team player. I worked hard to play nice since I didn't in the past." Read more at Loudwire, Ultimate Classic Rock and Noisecreep
- Blabbermouth reports singer Geoff Tate wants a judge to deny his former bandmates' request to keep him from using the QUEENSRŸCHE name until their dispute is resolved. Tate, who was fired from QUEENSRŸCHE in June after fronting the group for three decades, recently sought to prevent his former bandmates from touring and operating under the QUEENSRŸCHE name without him. While ruling against Tate, the presiding judge determined that there was no legal hurdle in Tate also using the name with an all-new lineup of musicians. "I don't see any reason that Mr. Tate can't have the benefit, if he gets other members, of whatever name he uses of using the brand," Superior Court Judge Carol A. Schapira said during the July 13 court hearing. "I think [doing that would be] inherently confusing, although I'm sure the market can get these things sorted out," she added. On September 2, Tate announced that he was launching his own version of QUEENSRŸCHE with RATT drummer Bobby Blotzer, former QUIET RIOT, OZZY OSBOURNE and WHITESNAKE bassist Rudy Sarzo and former MEGADETH and KING DIAMOND guitarist Glen Drover. Also on board in the new group are returning QUEENSRŸCHE guitarist Kelly Gray — who played with the band from 1998 until 2001 and also produced several of their albums — and keyboardist Randy Gane, who has toured and recorded with QUEENSRŸCHE and Geoff's solo group in the past. In a motion for partial summary judgment filed September 21 in Washington state's King County Superior Court, guitarist Michael Wilton, drummer Scott Rockenfield and bassist Eddie Jackson asked that the court declare that Tate "has no right to the QUEENSRŸCHE band name, marks and media assets since he has no grant of authority from the Tri-Ryche Corporation [which controls all QUEENSRŸCHE name and trademark rights. — Ed.] that owns them, unless and until he is able to succeed on his claims to dissolve the QUEENSRŸCHE corporations, and to enter a permanent injunction to the same." In a response in opposition to defendants' motion for partial summary judgment filed October 8 (see document below; courtesy of The Breakdown Room), Tate and his wife, Susan, QUEENSRŸCHE's former manager, wrote: "Defendants have failed to submit any admissible evidence establishing a sense of urgency or impending harm warranting summary judgment at this time, which would only be proper as a motion for an injunction, not a motion for summary judgment. "Defendants rely on a single declaration — Scott Rockenfield's — for the proposition that Geoff Tate cannot use the QUEENSRŸCHE name, marks, or associated media assets. In it, Mr. Jackson claims that he and the other defendants, all of whom are oppressing Mr. Tate, have never granted Mr. Tate the right to use the QUEENSRŸCHE name, marks or media assets and that the name is reserved to the 'original band….' Of course Mr. Rockenfield would say this because that is exactly what he and the other Defendants are trying to do: take 30 years of hard work and brand building away from Geoff Tate and keep it for themselves. At a minimum, before summary judgment can be granted on this issue, the Tates must be permitted to depose Messrs. Jackson, Wilton, and Rockenfield regarding these claims. Moreover, Mr. Rockenfield is simply wrong. Geoff Tate is part of the original band and, thus, he too is entitled to use the name, mark, and media assets until this Court resolves the fundamental issue of who owns the QUEENSRŸCHE assets. "Worse, both Mr. Rockenfield and Mr. Wilton are doing exactly what they ask the Court to stop Geoff Tate from doing: They are both using the QUEENSRŸCHE name, marks, and media assets to sell their individual products — without any formal approval by the companies. "Mr. Wilton uses the QUEENSRŸCHE name and mark to sell beer — 'Whip Ale' — and branded clothing, coffee, glassware, mini-guitars, and banners. Similarly, Mr. Rockenfield uses the QUEENSRŸCHE name and mark to sell drumming books, drums, posters, drum sticks, a drum track build computer program, a drum clinic DVD, drum loops, 'rockenwraps,' and 'Operation: Rockenfield - The Drumming Of Queensrÿche'. "The cut-and-thrust of Defendants' motion is that the alleged 'assault' in Sao Paulo, Brazil justifies all of their 'corporate' action under the Business Judgment Rule and leaves Geoff Tate with no defense. First, there is a genuine issue of material fact regarding what happened in Brazil. Before the Court can rule on that issue, the Tates must be allowed to conduct discovery, including deposing the Defendants and their witnesses to this incident. Second, Geoff Tate disputes the facts and circumstances surrounding the incident in Brazil and does not 'admit' he 'assaulted' anyone. In his Declaration in Support of the Tates' Motion for a Preliminary Injunction, Geoff Tate says Mr. Rockenfield taunted him, saying, 'I fired your wife, I fired your daughter and your son-in-law, and you're next.' Angry, Geoff Tate 'went after' Mr. Rockenfield, but never touched him. If it were, Eddie Jackson would have been fired from QUEENSRŸCHE years ago for assaulting Geoff Tate. "During the METALICA tour [in 1998], Eddie Jackson came onto the tour bus where Geoff Tate was sitting and, unprovoked, preceded to 'Kung Fu' kick Geoff in the face. As Geoff recounts, 'It was a brutal blow that caught me completely off guard. Two other witnesses, Messrs. Beyer and Rafeal, both of whom provided declarations, corroborate Geoff Tate's memory of this incident. "If this is the litmus test to justify oppressive corporate action, as Mr. Osinski [Geoff's former bandmates' counsel Thomas Osinski] would have this Court believe, Eddie Jackson should have been fired 14 years ago. "The real issue before this Court, and for which the Tates have submitted sufficient evidence to withstand this Motion for Partial Summary Judgment, is whether Geoff Tate's role in QUEENSRŸCHE as its front-man, its voice, its main songwriter (117 out of 145 songs), its public face, and its brains for 30 years, entitles him to the QUEENSRŸCHE name, brand and assets. This, again, is an intensely factual issue that must be tried to the Court. "Defendants' actions and statements belie their claim they fired Geoff Tate because of the incident in Brazil. In reality, Jackson, Wilton, and Rockenfield have been trying to get rid of Geoff Tate for at least a year and they are using the Brazil incident as a smokescreen. "Over a year ago, the Defendants began trying to recruit Jason Saunders to replace Geoff Tate as QUEENSRŸCHE's lead singer. Mr. Saunders worked with QUEENSRŸCHE for years, performing on albums and during live shows. Mr. Saunders played keyboards, rhythm guitar and sings backup and lead vocals. Beginning on August 6, 2011, Michael Wilton approached Mr. Saunders after a show at the House of Blues in Boston and said, 'If Geoff wasn't around, what would you think about doing something?' which was echoed by Scott Rockenfield who commented, 'Yes, think about it!' "On about September 19, 2011 in Tulsa at a show at Cain's Ballroom, the three Defendants again approached Mr. Saunders. The three of them told Mr. Saunders that Geoff Tate was leaving the band to possibly pursue a solo career and that they didn't want to stop the band. Based on that, Defendants offered Mr. Saunders the lead vocal position in QUEENSRŸCHE for $600 per week touring pay plus 'a cut off of a new CD.' He told them 'I'm definitely interested, but let me think about it and I'll get back to you.' Scott Rockenfield asked Mr. Saunders not to speak to Geoff Tate about the offer just to keep good feelings while we were all on the road. When Mr. Saunders discussed Defendants' offer with his girlfriend, Maureen Fisher, who also worked for QUEENSRŸCHE, she told him that Geoff wasn't thinking of leaving QUEENSRŸCHE. As Mr. Saunders puts it: '[Defendants' offer] left me with an uneasy feeling, seemingly fueled by an ulterior motive. They offered me one-half my normal pay and wanted to get rid of Geoff. It appeared and felt to me like they were trying to keep his share of the profits while paying someone next to nothing to take his place. That way they could all keep more money.' "On about October 1, 2011 in Los Angeles at the House of Blues, Defendants asked Mr. Saunders if he had given any further thought to the lead vocal/Geoff replacement position? He told them, 'Thank you for thinking of me, but I don't feel I'm the right guy for this project.' He said, 'I wouldn't be opposed to a side project with a bluesy edge if you guys are up for that.' About two weeks later, during a month-long break from the band's tour schedule, Defendants called Mr. Saunders and told him that he and Maureen were fired from the remainder of the 'Dedicated To Chaos' tour."
- Blabbermouth reports Zakk Wylde (BLACK LABEL SOCIETY, OZZY OSBOURNE) recently announced his first signature-edition guitar instruction collection, exclusively available at Guitar Centers across the country beginning October 1. Guitar Apprentice takes a hit guitar song and breaks it down into 15 different levels of playing. The user is playing great guitar songs with a full band, supplying only a chord or two at first. The user can then work on songs at any desired speed and when it is completed is playing 100 percent of the song — including solos. At every level, Guitar Apprentice shows the user visually, exactly what and when to play at the pace he or she desires. The Zakk Wylde Signature Edition Guitar Apprentice was recorded live at Wylde's Black Vatican studio in Los Angeles and features six DVDs of guitar instruction by Wylde himself, including signature rhythm patterns, solo breakdowns, tones, pedals and gear. Fifteen levels of learning are provided per song. The Zakk Wylde Signature Edition Guitar Apprentice features exclusive videos, personal tours of the Black Vatican, and interviews. sked how the idea of an instructional set of DVDs came about, Zakk told MusicRadar.com, "The guys behind the project approached me, basically. They asked me what I thought of 'Guitar Hero', and I said it was awesome. Who knows — you could have the next Jimmy Page or Dimebag or Yngwie coming out of that thing. Some kid starts out on that, and eventually he says, 'Man, I want to get a real guitar.' That's what you want to happen. To me, anything that promotes the guitar is good. So the guys with 'Guitar Apprentice' came to me and said that it would be like a game, but you'd actually learn how to play. It's not like you're playing with a controller or anything like that — you're using a real guitar. I said, 'Yeah, of course. Sounds great!' I added a couple of songs from the new record that they wanted to do. 'Overlord' came up, so did 'Crazy Horse' and 'Parade Of The Dead'. I performed the songs from beginning to end, and then we broke them down. When you're playing the game, you're learning the song. You're learning how to play. And you learn the scales and how they connect. It's cool." Zakk was also asked if he learned anything about his style in making these DVDs. "Well, no," he replied. "You know, I know the names of the modes, the names of the scales — I know the shit that I'm playing. [laughs] I don't just go, 'Yeah, use this fingering…' I know more than that. Tell me an F #, and I'll show you all over the fingerboard where an F# is. I've studied theory, so I've got that down." Regarding whether he is nice and patient as a teacher, Zakk said, "Without a doubt. When I was teaching guitar back in the day, before I got the gig with Ozzy, I always liked doing it. You'd get the prize student who sinks his teeth into it and actually practices and learns the language. It's cool when somebody takes the time to understand it. Some people grasp it naturally, and for other people it's hard." The Guitar Center-exclusive version features a bonus 60 minutes of concert and interview footage including a never-before-seen prison concert and interviews from an appearance Wylde made in the U.K., interviews at the Black Vatican, a conversation with Wylde on replacing Randy Rhoads, gear talk, the story of Wylde's first guitar, a question-and-answer session and more. There will be in-store promotions, including a chance to win a private lesson with Wylde — or a dream gear package featuring the same equipment Wylde uses. Fans can register by visiting their local Guitar Center and trying out the new product. A new teaser for the Zakk Wylde Signature Edition Guitar Apprentice can be seen below. For more information on the Zakk Wylde Signature Edition Guitar Apprentice, go to www.guitarapprentice.com. Read more at Loudwire
- Blabbermouth reports KING DIAMOND has been confirmed as the first headliner of next year's edition of the Bloodstock Open Air festival, set to take place August 9-11, 2013 at Catton Hall in Walton On Trent, Derbyshire, England. The Grammy-nominated, Danish metal legend will dazzle eyes and perforate eardrums in the Friday-night top slot. After a six-year touring hiatus, KING DIAMOND triumphantly returned to the stage in 2012 for European festivals Hellfest and Sweden Rock. Friday night's closing performance at Bloodstock Open Air 2013 marks not only their first-ever U.K. festival appearance, but their first U.K. show of any kind in many years and will be their only U.K. date in 2013. Commented KING DIAMOND frontman and namesake: "I'm looking forward so much to this, we all are. Finally back in England! The people at Bloodstock have gone the extra mile to make this possible, and will be expanding the stage to fit our full production. This is gonna be DARK and very HEAVY!" This special headline appearance racks up alongside the previously announced special guests ANTHRAX and ACCEPT, and U.K.-exclusive appearances from FIREWIND and FOZZY. Bloodstock "Early Bird" tickets are available for online purchase now at this location for the frankly bargain price of £100 (plus booking fee) for a four-day weekend pass. Snap 'em up quick, as this limited time offer won't last forever! For more information, visit www.bloodstock.uk.com.
- Blabbermouth reports Dutch classical guitarist Thomas Zwijsen will release his album, "Nylon Maiden", on January 8, 2013. The CD contains 11 unique arrangements of IRON MAIDEN tracks on classical guitar. Additional musicians on the album are Anne Bakker (violin), Nathanael Taekema (drums), Tony Newton (bass; VOODOO SIX, bass) and Blaze Bayley (vocals; IRON MAIDEN, WOLFSBANE). Zwijsen has worked closely with Bayley; as composer, co-producer and lead guitarist on Blaze's most recent "The King Of Metal" album and tour and the following acoustic U.K. tour. He is, however, better known for his "Nylon Maiden" videos in which he displays his technical and tuneful abilities. The "Nylon Maiden" videos have had over 1.5 million views on YouTube.
"Nylon Maiden" track listing:
01. Aces High
03. The Trooper
04. Dance Of Death
05. Can I Play With Madness
06. Blood Brothers
07. The Clairvoyant
08. Wasting Love
09. Wasted Years
10. The Clansman (featuring Blaze Bayley)
11. The Talisman (featuring Tony Newton)
"Nylon Maiden" will be released on CD and as digital download. Prior to release, Zwijsen will release a single with two non-album tracks ("The Evil That Men Do" and "Run To The Hills") on vinyl and as digital download on November 26. Supporting this album, Zwijsen is already booked to open for MAIDEN UNITED, the all-acoustic MAIDEN tribute project featuring Damian Wilson (THRESHOLD, HEADSPACE) and Ruud Jolie (WITHIN TEMPTATION), on most of their European dates in November/December. From January, Zwijsen will go on a three-month tour with Blaze Bayley in South America and Europe, playing a double set: first opening the show with a solo "Nylon Maiden" performance, before a full acoustic set with Blaze. For more information, visit www.ThomasZwijsen.com.
- Blabbermouth reports Former NIGHTWISH singer Tarja Turunen will join forces with acclaimed drummer Mike Terrana (TARJA, AXEL RUDI PELL, RAGE, YNGWIE J. MALMSTEEN, MASTERPLAN) and an orchestra and choir for the "Beauty And The Beat" tour in 2013.
Confirmed dates so far:
April 06 - Kongresové Centrum - Zlin, Czech Republic
April 07 - Kongresové Centrum - Prague, Czech Republic
April 11 - Sala Palatului - Bucharest, Romania
The first "Beauty And The Beat" concert took place in September 2011 at the Roman Amphitheatre in Plovdiv, Bulgaria. The setlist consisted of songs from Tarja's solo career, NIGHTWISH covers and classical pieces. Fan-filmed video footage of the performance can be seen below. Tarja stated about the Plovdiv concert: "When I walked to the stage, the audience was so loud that I got pretty confused with my thoughts and emotions, so I burst into tears even before singing a note! It was wonderful. The whole concert was wonderful. I was very, very happy. "The whole idea of performing together with the orchestra, choir and Mike is very unique and I knew that this concept would work live, as it did. We hope that we can do this more often and it could happen wherever! "I needed to hug Mr. Terrana a loooooong time before and after the concert. Actually Mike enjoyed the concert so much that he told me afterwards this: 'Dear Tarja, if I should die tomorrow, I would die happily.' It was the best concert he said he had done in his career so far. I was VERY happy to be a part of that."
- Blabbermouth reports "A Thrashumentary", the long-awaited DVD from San Francisco Bay Area metal veterans DEATH ANGEL, will be released in early 2013. Guitarist Ted Aguilar says in a video update (see below), "We saw the rough edits that [director] Tommy Jones has been doing, and it's coming out incredible. It's a documentary everyone's going to be proud of. "We're just getting last-minute interviews. Tonight, we just got Chuck Billy from TESTAMENT doing an interview for the documentary. "The last interview we're gonna get is a very special guest I'm not gonna mention. It's gonna be really cool, and as soon as we get the last very special guest, it's gonna be done. So it's for sure coming out in early 2013. It's gonna cover the history of DEATH ANGEL from the very beginning all the way up to the current version of DEATH ANGEL now. It's gonna be jam-packed with a lot of old footage, stuff from early D.A., even their side projects after D.A., when D.A. broke up and THE ORGANIZATION formed, and the reformation of the band [for an appearance at] Thrash Of The Titans [festival in 2001]." According to a press release, "A Thrashumentary" is a combination live video and documentary, all wrapped up in one thrashing DVD. The footage was directed by Tommy Jones (SOILWORK, KATAKLYSM) and mixed by Chris Clancy of The Studio. The film gives the viewer an in-depth look into one of the longest-running thrash acts out of the San Francisco Bay Area, a region known for turning out historic thrash bands such as METALLICA, TESTAMENT and EXODUS. With the band surviving a span of 30 years of activity, and nearly 25 years since the release of the classic album "The Ultra-Violence", now was the time to tell the story. Filmed on the "Relentless Retribution" world tour, the film shows the bands energetic live performance, cut with documentary-style interview footage. "Fly-on-the-wall" filming of the band talking about their career and footage of the band on the road, give the viewer a personal connection to what is known as the mighty DEATH ANGEL. A special 12-minute trailer for the disc was shown at last year's Heavy Metal Film Festival (held in Los Angeles from March 31 through April 2) and can be seen below. "Relentless Retribution", the latest album from DEATH ANGEL, sold 2,700 copies in the United States in its first week of release. The CD landed at position No. 10 on the Top New Artist Albums (Heatseekers) chart, which lists the best-selling albums by new and developing artists, defined as those who have never appeared in the Top 100 of The Billboard 200. The band's previous album, "Killing Season", opened with around 2,300 units back in March 2008. This number was in line with the performance of its predecessor, "The Art of Dying", which registered a first-week sales tally of around 2,100 back in May 2004. "Relentless Retribution" was released in the U.S. on September 14, 2010 via Nuclear Blast Records. The CD was recorded at Audiohammer Studios in Sanford, Florida with producer Jason Suecof (TRIVIUM, AUGUST BURNS RED, THE BLACK DAHLIA MURDER, ALL THAT REMAINS, WHITECHAPEL, DEVILDRIVER). The cover artwork was created by Brent Elliot White (JOB FOR A COWBOY, CARNIFEX, WHITECHAPEL).
Video update from Ted Aguilar:
"A Thrashumentary" trailer:
- Loudwire reports Dillinger Escape Plan singer lays down the law on illegal downloading
- Loudwire reports Paradise Lost guitarist talks "Tragic Idol," band’s 20-year history and more
- Loudwire posts the top 20 rock songs October 7th - 13th
- Loudwire posts a review of the new self-titled" Nonpoint album
- Classic Rock posts preview photographs of the groupies from Baron Wolman’s new photo exhibition
- Classic Rock posts an interview with The Treatment on their US tour with Kiss and Motley Crue
- Noisecreep posts an interview with Triumph's Mike Levine on Journey, Foreigner tour reunion potential
- Noisecreep reports The Foreshadowing craft gothic doom masterpieces
- Noisecreep posts Heaven's Basement guitarist Sid Glover: 5 albums that changed my life
- Spinner reports Melissa Etheridge supports legalizing marijuana in Colorado with ads Read more at Rolling Stone
- Blabbermouth posts photos of Metallica and Kiss at the Led Zeppelin press conference
- Blabbermouth posts the fifth webisode from Black Country Communion
- Blabbermouth posts a strem of the entire War From A Harlots Mouth "Voyer" album
- Blabbermouth posts new music videos from Tiamat: "The Scarred People" and Destruction: "Cyanyde" (Lyric Video), Von Brandan: "Flammenreich", Gojira: "Liquid Fire" (See more at Loudwire)
- Blabbermouth posts performance footage of another new Voivod song