Flyleaf has set October 30th as the release date for the band's third album, New Horizons. The second single from the disc, "Call You Out," is available now. New Horizons is the Christian act's first album since 2009's Memento Mori, and follows an extended break during which lead singer Lacey Sturm had a baby in 2011. The new disc was recorded in just six weeks. (Loudwire) Read more at Blabbermouth
- As scheduled, Jack White delivered the video for his new single "I'm Shakin'" on Wednesday (October 10th). The clip finds White locked in a battle of the bands with himself, as a White clad in black plays the song opposite a Jack wearing a baby blue suit. Both Whites have a different backing band behind them too. The song, a cover of a tune by R&B artist Little Willie John, is from White's solo debut Blunderbuss. (Rolling Stone) Read more at Spinner
- Guns N' Roses guitarist DJ Ashba says that the band is currently writing material for the follow-up to 2008's Chinese Democracy as it also prepares for a rare acoustic performance at Neil Young's upcoming Bridge School Benefit concerts and a 12-date residency at the Hard Rock Hotel in Las Vegas. Ashba said, "(Axl Rose) has tons of stuff done (and) recorded that he's played for me and wants my input on. Axl's put together such a talented group of musicians and there are so many songs that are already worked out. So we've got a good jump on it, for sure." (Rolling Stone) Read more at Blabbermouth, Loudwire, Ultimate Classic Rock and Classic Rock
CHECK IT OUT: Listen to Flyleaf's new single "Call You Out":
Watch Jack White's new video for "I'm Shakin'":
- Adele has returned to the airwaves with a new single, the James Bond theme, "Skyfall" -- but other than that, the singer has reportedly been busy preparing for becoming a mother. A source told People that she is happily remaining out of the spotlight until she gives birth to her baby with boyfriend, Simon Konecki. The source said, "She is just thrilled. She is totally laying low and nesting." Read more at Rolling Stone Hear it at Spinner
- Blabbermouth reports IRON MAIDEN frontman delivered the keynote speech yesterday (Wednesday, October 10) at the IBM Smarter Business event at the Stockholm Waterfront Congress in Sweden. He finished off his speech with explaining why the MAIDEN song "Run To The Hills" became a hit single. "I've had some strange experiences in my life," began Dickinson, "and one of the strangest was waking up one day and discovering that people called be a businessman, which is very odd." Dickinson went on to describe the role that creativity has played in the mind of history's greatest minds. "Leonardo DiVinci invents the helicopter … he imagined it and eventually it happened," he said. "Jules Verne invented the nuclear submarine, he just didn't know about nuclear reactors. He imagined it, and that inspired generations of people to invent things. Einstein, of course, who was the kid at school who would never amount to much because he was rubbish at physics and didn't pay any attention in class, said, 'Imagination is greater than knowledge.' If you can't imagine it, it will never happen." Regarding the inspiration for "Run To The Hills", Dickinson revealed the song came from the analysis of a television musicologist. "The program was about why the song 'My Way' [Frank Sinatra], was the most popular recorded song in history," he said. "The musicologist came along and said, 'It's all in the rising sixth,'" referring to the sixth interval within a scale. Read more at Loudwire
Video footage of Dickinson's speech can be seen below.
- Blabbermouthreports former ANTHRAX guitarist Dan Spitz and his wife, Candi, are featured in a new video clip about Autism Speaks, the organization dedicated to spreading awareness, and the founders of Autism Speaks. Dan and Candi speak about their own personal experience with raising two identical mirror image twin boys that both suffer from autism. Autism Speaks is the world's largest autism science and advocacy organization. It was founded in February 2005 by Suzanne and Bob Wright, the grandparents of a child with autism. The organization is dedicated to funding research into the causes, prevention, treatments and a cure for autism; increasing awareness of autism spectrum disorders; and advocating for the needs of individuals with autism and their families. According to Autism Key, Spitz's twin sons were born in 2007 and both have since been diagnosed with autism. During that time, he has used his celebrity to help raise awareness about the disorder, particularly among those within the music community. Additionally, Spitz and his wife are strong supporters of Autism Speaks and have recently been featured in one of the organization’s videos promoting its autism walks. Dealing with autism hasn't been the only challenge Spitz has faced in recent years. In 2009, he underwent open heart surgery to repair a main artery in his heart that was said to be "almost completely closed." Spitz is a born-again Christian and Messianic Jew and in interviews, has frequently cited his faith as an influential component to his life. Spitz took part in the reunion of ANTHRAX's classic lineup in 2005 and 2006 but left the band after ANTHRAX's most recent split with singer Joey Belladonna. In a January 2007 interview with Eddie Trunk of the "Friday Night Rocks" radio show on New York's Q104.3 FM, ANTHRAX guitarist Scott Ian stated about Spitz, "Whether people are aware or not, Danny's, like, a big deal in the really, really fancy, expensive watch world — like crazy, super-high-end watches — and he's got his own line of watches coming out. It's weird, because before the reunion I would read this stuff online, and I would just kind of be like, 'What the hell…?' But then like after hanging out with the guy for 20 months and you actually talk to him and see the watches and what-not, I was like, 'Holy crap!' It's a pretty big deal."
- Blabbermouth reports legendary metal artist Ed Repka (MEGADETH, MISFITS, DEATH) will take part in a signing session at the Little Punk People booth (booth #3319) at this year's New York Comic Con on Saturday, October 13. Repka's work not only speaks for itself, it screams for itself! With its touches of comic book, monster movie poster and sci-fi/fantasy illustration, Ed's influences are clear, but it's his bold use of color and sense of visual narrative that makes his art rock. Regarded as the undisputed king of "thrash" metal art of the '80s, he specializes in menacing reminders of impending apocalypse, and grim visions of the irradiated aftermath. His vibrant abuse of color and shadow combined with darkly satirical characterizations form his distinctive style which has garnered commissions from clients such as Atlantic, Capitol, Earache, Metal Blade, Roadrunner and others for use on CD covers, video covers, posters, trading cards, t-shirts, toys, and comics. Repka is known worldwide as creator of Vic Rattlehead, MEGADETH's skeletal mascot. His some twenty illustrations of the character have adorned the band's CD covers, posters, t-shirts, and hordes of other metal merchandise. Repka is also art director of NECA, where he designs and develops products like action figures, headknockers, plush and other collectibles for comic, movie, and video game licenses. Repka continues to produce cover art for current bands like AUSTRIAN DEATH MACHINE, NECRO, SUICIDAL ANGELS, 3 INCHES OF BLOOD and many more.
- Blabbermouth reports Connecticut hardcore/metal masters HATEBREED have inked a European deal with Nuclear Blast Records. North America will be handled by Razor & Tie. The band's new album was co-produced by HATEBREED, Chris "Zeuss" Harris (SUICIDE SILENCE, ALL THAT REMAINS, SHADOWS FALL) and Josh Wilbur (LAMB OF GOD, AVENGED SEVENFOLD) and is scheduled for release in January. Wilbur also handled mixing duties on the CD, which will be supported by extensive global touring that will stretch well into 2014. Commented HATEBREED singer Jamey Jasta: "We're really excited to be working with such great people at both Razor & Tie and Nuclear Blast. We've made an awesome album and we're chomping at the bit to get it out and hit the road. Global domination begins now." In a joint statement, Pete Giberga, VP of A&R, and John Franck, SVP of Marketing for Razor & Tie, said: "HATEBREED's anthems coupled with their do-or-die work ethic continues to make them a dominant force in hardcore and metal today. Their inclusionary message and deep relationship with their fan-base also makes them a band that is built for these times. With the group playing some of the best shows of its career, their renewed sense of purpose has never sounded more steadfast and resolute than it does on this forthcoming new record." Added Nuclear Blast A&R representative Jaap Wagemaker: "In the past, we had seen HATEBREED play several times live when they were headlining indoor hardcore festivals or when they played one of the many shows at Graspop in Belgium. The band that defined metal/hardcore with their releases 'Perseverance' and 'The Rise of Brutality' will be releasing another milestone in their career by the beginning of 2013!! "After seeing HATEBREED turning this year's Hellfest upside down in front of 30,000 hardcore and metal fans and doing the same a couple of months later at Bloodstock in the U.K., it became very clear that HATEBREED and Nuclear Blast would be the perfect match. Something that became even stronger after we had the chance to listen to a couple of new songs! "We are very proud to welcome HATEBREED to the ever-growing Nuclear family!! In 2013 their new album will be out and I can tell you that the fans who have been waiting for this for a couple of years now won't be disappointed!! HATEBREED is back, stronger than ever!!" Regarding the musical direction of the new HATEBREED material, Jamey Jasta told "Maximum Threshold", "We did enough experimenting, I think, on the last record… A lot of people really liked that record and it did gain us a lot of new fans, but on this record, with the 10-year anniversary of [HATEBREED's 2002 album] 'Perseverance' and with Wayne [Lozinak, guitar] being back in the band — this will be his second record with us — it's just fun to kind of keep with the old-school influences. I hear more CRO-MAGS and KILLING TIME and SHEER TERROR and OBITUARY and BOLT THROWER and SLAYER and ENTOMBED and those kind of '80s and '90s influences in there. Which is fun for us, because we emulate the bands that we love. We try to make it our own sound and make it our own style, but at the end of the day, we're just fans of those styles of bands." HATEBREED will headline the Persistence Tour 2013 in Europe in January. Read more at Loudwire and Noisecreep
- Blabbermouth reports the Native American Film Institute will hold the 37th annual American Indian Film Festival on November 2-10 at the Palace of Fine Arts in San Francisco, California. The event will include a screening of Bay Area thrash metal legends TESTAMENT's "Native Blood" music video. Attendees can catch the showing on Friday, November 9 at 7:00 p.m. The American Indian Film Festival recognizes outstanding Indian cinematic accomplishments, and will recognize Native media makers and talent via its American Indian Motion Picture Awards Show. The festival also provides an opportunity for filmmakers, tribes, media and public audiences to come together and share in the creative experience and celebrate cinematic accomplishment. For more information, visit Aifisf.com. "Native Blood", whose lyrics are about vocalist Chuck Billy's Native American heritage, was filmed at the Hopland Indian Reservation in Hopland, California. The clip was directed by Mike Sloat (MACHINE HEAD, STAIND). TESTAMENT recently wrapped a co-headlining North American tour with fellow American thrash metal greats ANTHRAX and Nuclear Blast labelmates DEATH ANGEL. "Native Blood" comes off TESTAMENT's new album, "Dark Roots Of Earth", which sold more than 20,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release to land at position No, 12 on The Billboard 200 chart. The CD arrived in stores on July 31 via Nuclear Blast Records. TESTAMENT's previous studio album, "The Formation of Damnation", opened with 11,400 units back in May 2008 to debut at position No. 59. "Dark Roots Of Earth" was produced, mixed and mastered by acclaimed British producer Andy Sneap (ARCH ENEMY, NEVERMORE, ACCEPT, EXODUS). Special bonus tracks were recorded, mixed and mastered by Juan Urteaga (MACHINE HEAD, EXODUS, TED NUGENT, NIGHT RANGER) at his Trident Studios. The cover artwork for the effort (see below) was painted by Eliran Kantor, who has previously worked with ATHEIST, SIGH, ANACRUSIS and GWAR, among others.
- Blabbermouth reports iconic hardcore/punk band BAD BRAINS will release its new album, "Into The Future", on November 20 via Megaforce. The CD features the classic lineup of H.R. , Darryl Jenifer, Dr. Know and Earl Hudson.
American artist Shepard Fairey, a lifelong fan of BAD BRAINS, designed the cover artwork for "Into The Future". Check it out below. Also available is an audio stream of the CD's title track. "'Into The Future' is the purest BAD BRAINS recording since the ROIR cassette," says bassist Darryl Jenifer, referring to the early-'80s sound and energy that defined the band. "This self-produced record shines with a true sense of freedom and musical experimentation, with blends of soulful backgrounds meshed with blistering hardcore and metal riffs, with classic dub." While searching for something epic and different, the band decided to self-produce the album and capture that spirit only the group itself could find. Included on the album is a remix of "Peace Be Unto Thee", a tribute to longtime fan, friend and producer Adam Yauch (BEASTIE BOYS), who marked the BAD BRAINS' return to form by producing their previous album, "Build A Nation". The BAD BRAINS helped define American punk and hardcore music. Considered to be the holy grail of punk rock, they are one of the definitive American punk groups who garner the same respect as SEX PISTOLS, BLACK FLAG, RAMONES and THE CLASH.
- Blabbermouth reports Century Media Records has announce the signing of reformed Chicago death metallers BROKEN HOPE. Jeremy Wagner, BROKEN HOPE's founder and chief lyricist/songwriter, comments: "For years, I wanted to write a new BROKEN HOPE album and see BROKEN HOPE firmly placed with a new home. My dream came true as BROKEN HOPE just signed a worldwide deal with Century Media. "I've harbored great appreciation for Century Media and its stellar roster of artists since '88, and I'm extremely happy and grateful to see BROKEN HOPE become part of the Century Media family. My sincere thanks to Robert Kampf and Maurizio Iacono for embracing our musical art. Watch for a new, sick and über-ferocious BROKEN HOPE album to hit the globe in 2013!" Added BROKEN HOPE bassist Shaun Glass: "After taking part of an amazing North American tour that saw the rebirth of BROKEN HOPE, we are excited to be part of the mighty Century Media family. We promise to unleash one brutal and classic BROKEN HOPE album next year!" BROKEN HOPE was formed in 1988 by Wagner, while he was in high school. Shortly after formation, they recorded two demo tapes and signed with indie label, Grind-Core Records. Then in 1991, they released their debut album, "Swamped In Gore", launching the band out of the underground and into the mainstream. From there, the band signed to Metal Blade Records and released three more albums, all stellar examples of BROKEN HOPE's fury, which etched their place in death-metal history. After BROKEN HOPE's last album (1999's "Grotesque Blessings") and world tours, Wagner cleaned house and put BROKEN HOPE into "metal hibernation" in 2000. On January 20, 2010, original BROKEN HOPE vocalist Joe Ptacek tragically committed suicide. He was only 37 years old. Before his death, Ptacek met with Wagner and Glass and discussed the resurrection of BROKEN HOPE. With Ptacek's death, Wagner and Glass took time off to reconsider their next moves. In 2012, BROKEN HOPE signed with Hard Impact Management and vowed to make BROKEN HOPE a full-time monster. Wagner and Glass recruited longtime friend and GORGASM vocalist Damian Leski as their new frontman and shortly after marked their return on the highly successful Carnival Of Death tour. BROKEN HOPE's high-intensity concerts received top praise, and confirmed the band was back and more rabid than ever. BROKEN HOPE is currently booked for the 2013 editions of Extremefest (Germany) and Maryland Deathfest. Read more at Noisecreep
BROKEN HOPE 2012 is:
Damian Leski - Vocals
Jeremy Wagner - Guitars
Shaun Glass - Bass
Chuck Wepfer - Lead Guitars
Mike Miczek - Drums
- Loudwire reports Smashing Pumpkins Billy Corgan talks about life
- Loudwire reports Corey Taylor talks about working with Dave Grohl
- Loudwire reports new Sevendust song gives Anthrax singer goosebumps
- Classic Rock posts a download of Hayseed Dixie’s John Wheeler releases "Deeper in Debt"
- Noisecreep posts an interview with Sylosis on a Lamb Of God Chis Adler endorsement, eating Wendy's daily
- Spinner posts this week in music history October 7th - October 13
- Rolling Stone reports Tom Morello talking about hunger at anti-poverty event
- Rolling Stone posts a flashback of Eminem and Elton John join forces at the 2001 Grammys
- Blabbermouth posts review of new Kiss album "Monster" from former guitarist Bruce Kulick
- Blabbermouth posts a 21-minute documentry on Korn gitarist's Fear And The Nervous System
- Blabbermouth posts video of behind the "Skeletons & Majesties Live" artwork from Gamma Ray
Read more quick hits at Noisecreep