One of the highlights of Peter Gabriel's upcoming 25th anniversary box set edition of his So album is his unveiling of the project's demos. The box set of his chart-topping 1986 album So is set for release on October 23rd, and will be available on CD and digitally, as well as in an expanded three-CD and digital Special Edition -- which adds a previously unreleased 1987 Athens concert recording from the So tour.
Gabriel told us that he chose to showcase the demo tapes to give fans a ground floor view into his creative process: "One thing, which I've never seen done before is this idea of putting demos -- 'cause I record most of the things that happen in the studio, so on most of the tracks, I had sort of a sequence of demos that could show the actual evolution of tracks. So, rather than just show the finished thing or the demo one stage before the end, you really hear me generating some of the melodic and lyrical ideas. That was much harder work than I anticipated, but fun."
- Peter Gabriel tour dates (subject to change):
October 5 - Las Vegas, NV - Planet Hollywood Resort & Casino
October 6 - Los Angeles, CA - Hollywood Bowl
October 8 - San Diego, CA - Valley View Casino Center
October 9 - Santa Barbara, CA - Santa Barbara Bowl
October 13 - Uncasville, CT - Mohegan Sun Arena
October 14 - Fairfax, VA - Patriot Center
- The 25th anniversary box set edition of So will also be released as a four-CD two-DVD/LP/12-inch Deluxe, Limited Edition box set.
- The box set includes the remastered album on CD and on 180-gram vinyl, which has been mastered at half speed to maximize the audio quality and re-sequenced so the tracklist -- unlike the album's final tracklisting -- is as Peter Gabriel had originally envisioned.
- The set also features previously unreleased audio and video content, including the two Athens concert CD's and a previously unreleased "So DNA" CD of work-in-progress drafts of So's songs, "mapping the album's evolution from concept to completion."
- One of the box set's two DVDs features the fully restored Athens concert, which was filmed and recorded by director Michael Chapman and executive produced by Martin Scorsese.
- The box set's second DVD features a new So: Classic Album documentary, with contributions from many of those involved, including interviews with Gabriel, producer Daniel Lanois, among others.
CHECK IT OUT: Peter Gabriel performing "Sledgehammer" from Live In Athens 1987:
Peter Gabriel On 'So' Demos