Rush and Deep Purple are among the nominees for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's class of 2013, according to Rolling Stone. The list, unveiled late Wednesday night (October 3rd), also includes Albert King, Chic, Donna Summer, Heart, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Kraftwerk, the Marvelettes, the Meters, N.W.A., Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Procul Harum, Public Enemy and Randy Newman. The five acts who get the most votes will be inducted next April 18th at the Nokia Theater in Los Angeles.
- For the first time, the public will get to vote alongside other artists, music historians and industry insiders. Fans can vote from now until December 5th at RollingStone.com for the nominees they'd like to see inducted.
- The top five acts compiled from fans' votes will be submitted on a "fan's ballot" and will count as one of the more than 600 ballots that determine the inductees. The results will be announced in mid-December.
- Rush is nominated for the first time, although they've been eligible since 1998 and fans have been demanding their inclusion for years. The Canadian power trio's career has lasted for nearly 40 years and 20 albums, they still regularly pack arenas and they've influenced generations of heavy and progressive rock bands,
- Deep Purple is considered one of the biggest influences on the heavy metal genre, alongside Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin. Several of the group's albums, like Machine Head and In Rock, are considered masterpieces of the genre, along with songs such as "Smoke On The Water" and "Highway Star." Both Slash and Metallica's Lars Ulrich have lobbied for their induction.
- At their own induction in 2009, Metallica's James Hetfield included both bands on a list of who else should get into the Hall of Fame: "We're somewhat of a heavy band and we have a--a small list that we'd like to also put some nods out and maybe plant a little seed, it's a band called Deep People, Thin Lizzy, Rush, Kiss, Ted Nugent, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Motorhead...who we would love to invite through the door now."
JUST OUR OPINION
All we have to say is...it's about time. Rush and Deep Purple absolutely deserve to be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Let's hope the voting goes their way.
WHAT DO YOU THINK??
- Should Rush and Deep Purple get into the Hall on a first vote?
- Who else would you pick from the list of nominees?
- Who do you think is still missing?
INTERNET COMMENTS at Rolling Stone -- agree or not?
zrtskwrt wrote: "F***ING FINALLY."
Jrgrimsl wrote: "Should be Rush, Deep Purple, Procol Harum, Albert King, and the Meters. Especially Rush and Procol Harum, no other groups nominated have the combination of innovation and success that those two groups have."
Hypo-6 wrote: "Rush! Hands down the best band on the list and probably the best band on any list. They are actually above the hall of fame."
David wrote: "Rush shouldn't be nominated, they should be immediately inducted, it's a crime they haven't been in there before. I mean you have Madonna in there but not Rush? What a joke."
Metallica's James Hetfield At The 2009 Hall Of Fame Induction On Who Else Should Get In
Read more at Rolling Stone, Blabbermouth, Loudwire, Ultimate Classic Rock, Classic Rock and Spinner
Vote for the 2013 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees at Rolling Stone