A Perfect Circle drummer Josh Freese has left the band after 13 years, saying on his Twitter feed that he has "no plans of returning." Freese, one of the most in-demand session and touring drummers in rock, has been playing recently with Weezer and Sublime With Rome. He did not give a reason for his departure, merely saying, "Apologies to those inquiring about the upcoming shows." A Perfect Circle will play on December 29th in Las Vegas and tour as part of the Soundwave Festival next February in Australia. It is not known who will play drums for the group, although Puscifer drummer Jeff Friedl filled in for Freese in the summer of 2011 when he had to miss a tour. (Blabbermouth) Read more at Loudwire and Noisecreep
- The classic 1995 Smashing Pumpkins double album Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness has been given diamond certification for sales of 10 million copies -- or five million copies of the two-disc set -- and will be reissued in a deluxe edition on December 3rd. The fully remastered album, which contained the hits "Bullet With Butterfly Wings," "1979" and "Tonight, Tonight," will be released in multiple physical and digital configurations. Among those are an expanded five-CD/one DVD deluxe box set. a four-LP vinyl package, a standard double CD and a digital edition. The box set will include 64 bonus tracks of previously unreleased material or alternate versions of songs, while the DVD features a live show filmed in London in 1996.
- Marilyn Manson is preparing to release a special edition of his latest album, Born Villain, featuring two or three extra songs. Manson says fans can expect to see it shortly before the holiday season, explaining, "They're not just acoustic versions or demos or stuff like that. They're really good songs that were going to go on the album but I didn't want the album to be too long. I knew there would be the opportunity to use them for something." The deluxe edition will also include additional artwork, a book and other bonus features. (Billboard) Read more at Loudwire
- Blabbermouth reports Led Zeppelin has announced upcoming premieres in four countries for "Celebration Day", which documents the band's 2007 concert at London, England's O2 Arena. The film will make its U.S. debut at the historic Ziegfeld Theater in New York's theater district on October 9. Prior to the premiere, founding members John Paul Jones, Jimmy Page, and Robert Plant will be joined by Jason Bonham, the son of their late drummer John Bonham, for a press conference at New York's Museum of Modern Art. "Celebration Day" will then have its U.K. premiere at London's legendary Hammersmith Apollo on October 12. Jones, Page, and Plant will also be attendance for this special event and a limited number of tickets will be made available to fans for £20. Premieres for the film will follow in Berlin on October 15, where Jones is confirmed to attend, and Tokyo on October 16, which will have Page in attendance. LED ZEPPELIN took the stage at London's O2 Arena on December 10, 2007 to headline a tribute concert for dear friend and Atlantic Records founder Ahmet Ertegun. What followed was a two-hour-plus tour de force of the band's signature blues-infused rock 'n' roll that instantly became part of the legend of LED ZEPPELIN. Although 20 million people applied for tickets, the band's first headline show in 27 years was seen only by the 18,000 ticket holders who were fortunate enough to have secured seats through the worldwide lottery. The film of "Celebration Day" will see a worldwide theatrical release by Omniverse Vision on 1,500 screens in over 40 territories on October 17. Tickets for the public screenings are available now via LedZeppelin.com. "Celebration Day" will then be available in multiple video and audio formats on November 19 from Swan Song/Atlantic Records. Available for pre-order now, the details on all configurations of "Celebration Day" are listed below.
* Standard Editions – 1-DVD/2-CD set and 1-Blu-ray/2-CD set
* Deluxe Editions – 2-DVD/2-CD set and 1-Blu-ray/1-DVD/2-CD set featuring exclusive bonus video content including the Shepperton rehearsals, and BBC news footage.
* Music Only CD Edition – 2-CD set
* Music Only Blu-ray Audio Edition – Blu-ray Audio release featuring high-resolution 48K 24 bit PCM stereo and DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 surround sound audio only, no video
* Vinyl Edition – 3 LPs, 180-gram, audiophile quality vinyl (Available December 11)
* Digital Edition – Audio will be available at all digital retail outlets
A "Celebration Day" widget is available below. LED ZEPPELIN met with the press on September 21 in London to launch "Celebration Day". The band was adamant about not addressing any reunion rumors — despite the fact that they were promoting a film of their last reunion. When asked if the band would be performing together again, Jimmy Page told a reporter: "Let me ask you a question. Have you seen the film? Did you enjoy it? Then we've done our job, haven't we?" When asked if ZEPPELIN would "do it again," Plant cracked: "With you?" Page told the press that he was thrilled with Jason Bonham's performance filling in for his late father, John Bonham, saying, "Jason was absolutely monumental. From the very first rehearsal right through to the O2." Plant added: "It was appropriate and it was wonderful and also his vigor was so fantastic too. He drove us, y'know? It was peculiar and strange at times, but at the same time it was very rewarding for all of us." Plant went on to talk about the band's relationship these days: "We don't see each other too often, but we've just spent about an hour together. . .and no sooner we start talking, than some little innuendo creeps in. It's just what happens when you've spent a lot of time together." When asked why it took five years for the 2007 reunion concert to see the light of day, John Paul Jones joked: "Five years is like five minutes in ZEPPELIN time."
- Blabbermouth reports Slash featuring MYLES KENNEDY AND THE CONSPIRATORS have postponed their previously scheduled performance for tonight, Wednesday, October 3, at The Wiltern in Los Angeles, California. The show has been rescheduled for Sunday, December 2 at the same venue. Tickets for the postponed show will be honored on the rescheduled night and refunds will be available at point of purchase for those ticket holders who cannot attend the rescheduled show. A press release states: "Vocalist Myles Kennedy is unfortunately ill and unable to perform at this time. Patrons should hold onto their tickets for all postponed shows. The band regrets this inconvenience to their fans and thanks them for their support." Slash commented: "We want to be 100% for this gig and we're just not at this moment. We'll be back December 2nd in fighting form. See you then!" Added Kennedy: "My apologies to everyone who was planning on coming out to the show tonight. I promise to make it up to you when we return in a few months." Slash and his band are still scheduled to perform their new single, "Standing In The Sun", on Thursday, October 4 on "Conan", airing at 11 p.m./10 p.m., CT on TBS. Slash is continuing to tour in support of his second solo album, "Apocalyptic Love", which sold around 38,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release to land at position No. 4 on The Billboard 200 chart. Read more at Loudwire
- Blabbermouth reports PAPA ROACH's new album, "The Connection", is likely to sell between 18,000 and 21,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release, according to industry web site Hits Daily Double. The estimate was based on one-day sales reports compiled after the record arrived in stores on October 2 via Eleven Seven Music. PAPA ROACH's previous album, 2010's "Time For Annihilation... On The Road And On The Record", opened with 16,000 units to debut at position No. 23 on The Billboard 200 chart. The band's 2006 CD, "The Paramour Sessions", premiered with nearly 37,000 copies — a drop from the 52,000 first-week performance of 2004's "Getting Away With Murder" — to land at No. 16. "Time For Annihilation... On The Road And On The Record" featured a mix of live tracks and new studio cuts. "The Connection" was recorded at the band's hometown studio, The Red House in Sacramento, California, and was produced by rock veteran James Michael (SIXX: A.M., HALESTORM) and John Feldmann (PANIC AT THE DISCO, THE USED, ESCAPE THE FATE). PAPA ROACH's video for the song "Still Swingin'" was filmed in New York City with David Brodsky of Brooklyn's MyGoodEye Music Visuals (HELLYEAH, THE BLACK DAHLIA MURDER, GOATWHORE, MUNICIPAL WASTE, SUFFOCATION). Of the tune itself, singer Jacoby Shaddix told Loudwire in an interview, "It is the most important statement for the band. I think it just says a lot about [PAPA ROACH]. It's about my personal life, my highs and lows and what I've gone through and I'm a fuckin survivor dude. I'm a fighter. I think it's taking a challenge and I'm always willing to step up to it and I'm not going to go out without a fight. And [PAPA ROACH], we're the band that no matter what we're fucking up against, we're gonna prevail."
"The Connection" track listing:
01. Engage 02. Still Swingin' 03. Where Did The Angels Go 04. Silence Is The Enemy 05. Before I Die 06. Wish You Never Met Me 07. Give Me Back My Life 08. Breathe You In 09. Leader Of The Broken Hearts 10. Not That Beautiful 11. Walking Dead 12. Won't Let Up 13. As Far As I Remember
PAPA ROACH in August officially dropped off the Rockstar Energy Uproar Festival after just one week, with Shaddix needing surgery to remove a nodule on his vocal cord. Shaddix was diagnosed earlier this summer and attempted to take care of it without an operation, but issued a statement saying, "I was hoping to be able to go out there and kill it on this tour by resting and doing vocal exercises, but my voice has just gone out on me. I hate to let our fans down, but unfortunately surgery is the only way to fix it. The last thing we want to do is give our fans less than 100% every night. We know they'll understand and we'll be back better than ever." The throat problems follow a tough period during which Shaddix split and reconciled with his wife of 15 years and also fell off the wagon.
- Blabbermouth reports Maria Erna, the sister of Godsmack frontman Sully Erna, proposed to her boyfriend on stage during the band's September 28 concet at the Rock Vegas festival at Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada. Video footage of the proposal can be seen below. After the show, Sully tweeted, "Congrats to my crazy sister Maria and her new fiancé! 'She' proposed to him on my stage last night in front of Vegas! Hahaha! She nuts!" GODSMACK kicked off the Rockstar Energy Uproar Festival tour with SHINEDOWN, STAIND and others on August 17 in Bonner Springs, Kansas, with Sully Erna starting his first major tour since canceling a European run several weeks ago over throat issues. Also on the Uproar bill were ADELITAS WAY, P.O.D., DEUCE, REDLIGHT KING and others. GODSMACK will also be one of the headliners on the ShipRocked 2012 cruise this year, taking off from Fort Lauderdale, Florida in late November for five days. GODSMACK's first-ever live album, "Live & Inspired", sold around 16,500 copies in the United States in its first week of release to debut at position No. 19 on The Billboard 200 chart.
- Blabbermouth reports FEAR AND THE NERVOUS SYSTEM, the heavy and hypnotic new project from Grammy Award-winning, multi-platinum Korn guitarist James "Munky" Shaffer, will embark on its first tour beginning October 13 at Brixton South Bay in Redondo Beach, California. This special jaunt will see the group perform four intimate West Coast shows, introducing the world to songs from their self-titled debut on stage. Expect a jarring and hyper-energetic performance from one of modern rock’s most celebrated guitar players. The album is available in stores and via digital retailers now through INgrooves/Fontana. About the tour, Shaffer excitedly comments, "I've had these songs for quite a while, and I can't wait to share them with the world live. FEAR AND THE NERVOUS SYSTEM is unlike anything that I've ever done, and it's an incredible feeling to finally tour behind it." This collective of musicians on the album handpicked by Shaffer includes FAITH NO MORE bassist Billy Gould, BAD RELIGION drummer Brooks Wackerman, REPEATER singer Steve Krolikowski, KORN touring keyboardist Zac Baird, and Leopold Ross on guitar. Tracked and mixed by Jim "Bud" Monti, the record encompasses a calculated metallic darkness wrapped in a haze of dark, dreamy industrial soundscapes. It's the ultimate sonic headtrip from some of hard rock and heavy metal's most daring musicians. As a founding member of KORN, James "Munky" Shaffer has won two Grammy Awards and sold over 35 million albums worldwide. However, this is his very first solo effort. Read more at Loudwire
Confirmed FEAR AND THE NERVOUS SYSTEM tour dates:
Oct. 13 - Redondo Beach, CA - Brixton
Oct. 14 - Agoura Hills, CA - Canyon Club
Oct. 19 - Bakersfield, CA - B Ryder’s
Oct. 21 - West Hollywood, CA - The Roxy Theatre
- Blabbermouth reports with more than 40 million albums sold, Ted Nugent is a rock and roll legend — but music is just one of his passions. He's also a strong and vocal advocate for guns, hunting and all things America. In Discovery Channel's all-new one-hour special "Ted Nugent's Gun Country", premiering October 10 at 10 p.m. EDT, viewers will get an inside look at American gun culture through the eyes of staunch second amendment defender Ted Nugent. Meet Nugent's family and visit his sprawling Spirit Wild ranch just outside Waco, Texas, home to many species of big game that freely roam the meadows and pastures. An avid hunter and conservationist at heart, Ted has his eye on the herd of scimitar-horned oryx that have bred far faster than he anticipated. Knowing the land can't support the booming population, he plans to thin out the herd — and that sends him on a mission. He needs the right firearm and right ammo to get the job done. For that, it's a trip to top-grade firearms maker LaRue Tactical. Nugent gets his hands on their new OBR PrediTAR .308 rifle and gets a lesson on the finer points of the weapon from renowned military sniper trainer Todd Hodnet. Ted's highpoint of the day: a 1,000 yard target that, when he hits it, causes a massive explosion that even he didn't expect. On hunt day, Ted and his son Rocco set out at dawn to track their elusive prey and put his new weapon to use. Hours pass without any sign of the crafty antelope. But the father-son duo comes up with a plan and eventually their patience pays off. A firm believer that no animal goes to waste, Ted prepares a festive meal at the ranch that includes guests from Wounded Warriors — his way of giving back to those who fought on behalf of the country he loves so much. "Nobody has more absolute fun with guns than my family," says Ted. "Like millions of American families, these utilitarian tools and works of art serve us well in all manner of good, clean, legal, safe fun, recreation and competition. Our American Dream is measured in ballistics." "Ted Nugent's Gun Country" was produced for Discovery Channel by MorningStar Entertainment, where Gary Tarpinian and Paninee Theeranutawat are executive producers, Christian Robinson is co-executive producer and Mark Therrienis supervising producer.
- Blabbermouth reports Iron Maiden bassist/founder Steve Harris's solo/side project album, "British Lion", sold around 3,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release to enter The Billboard 200 chart at position No. 125. The CD also landed at position No. 3 on the Top New Artist Albums (Heatseekers) chart, which lists the best-selling albums by new and developing artists, defined as those who have never appeared in the Top 100 of The Billboard 200. "British Lion" was released in the U.S. on September 25 via Universal Music Enterprises (UMe). Mixed by Kevin Shirley — whose credits include IRON MAIDEN as well as LED ZEPPELIN, JOURNEY and RUSH, among many others — the CD, which features Harris alongside vocalist Richard Taylor, guitarists Graham Leslie and David Hawkins and drummer Simon Dawson, presents a different side of the bassist's musical visions. Asked where the impetus for "British Lion" came from, Harris told Classic Rock magazine, "How it started was that Graham Leslie came to me with a cassette of songs — which shows how long ago it was! — and I thought they were really good, so I said I'd try to help his band do something. I ended up managing them and producing them and writing with them, although I kept that fact under wraps, to the point where even some people in the band didn't know. Anyway, when that band imploded I thought, 'Well, I've got to do something with this,' because I thought the songs were so strong." He continued, "Over the years I've kept in touch with Richie and Graham, and then Richie was working with another guitarist called David Hawkins, who's a really talented guy, and so we started writing songs together. So on the album there are six songs written with Richie and David, there's one with just me and Richie, and the others are me, Richie, Graham and a couple of other guys that were around at the time." British Lion" comprises ten songs that Steve and his collaborators have been working on between IRON MAIDEN tours and releases and is described by Harris as "'70s-influenced, British-sounding hard rock." "I'd say it's more mainstream rock than metal... and quite commercial… but good commercial," he said. "There's all kinds of stuff going on, with nods to THE WHO and UFO and some classic British rock bands, but it's not the progressive rock album some might be expecting." On the topic of why this is the right time for a Steve Harris solo album, the IRON MAIDEN bassist told Clasic Rock, "Because it's ready, it's finally, finally ready. The guys have been waiting very patiently for years for me, and it's been frustrating at time, but what can I do?! I'm so busy with MAIDEN. People have already said to me, 'Are you going to do this instead of MAIDEN?' and I'm like, 'Of course not!' MAIDEN is always going to be the priority — always has been and always will be — but it's interesting and exciting to try new things." He added, "On the early [IRON MAIDEN] albums, most of the songs are mine, but as we've gone into different eras with different people writing, there's been more and more collaborations. And I think it's been important for MAIDEN to do that rather than have me dictating everything. But I have bags full of ideas, so many that I couldn't record them all in my lifetime, and I tried out a few different things on this, because I had the time to do experiment."
"British Lion" track listing:
01. This Is My God
02. Lost Worlds
03. Karma Killer
04. Us Against The World
05. The Chosen Ones
06. A World Without Heaven
08. Eyes Of The Young
09. These Are The Hands
10. The Lesson
Steve Harris will guest on the nationally syndicated radio show "Rockline" with host Bob Coburn on Wednesday, October 3 at 8:30 p.m. PT / 11:30 p.m. ET. Fans are encouraged to speak with Harris by calling 1-800-344-ROCK (7625). The show will be streamed on the "Rockline" web site for two weeks beginning the afternoon after the live broadcast. For more information, visit RocklineRadio.com.
- Blabbermouth reports Oklahoma hard rockers HINDER will release their fourth album, "Welcome to The Freakshow", on December 4 via Republic. The CD was co-produced by HINDER drummer Cody Hanson and Marshall Dutton. According to a press release, "Instead of simply sticking to a tried-and-true formula, the group decided to smash boundaries, experimenting with rock, pop, and even a little country." The album's first single, "Save Me", was released this week along with a lyric video which can be seen below.
"Welcome to The Freakshow" track listing:
01. Save Me
02. Ladies Come First
03. Shoulda Known Better
05. Talk To Me
06. Get Me Away From You
07. Is It Just Me
08. I Don't Wanna Believe
09. See You In Hell
10. Anyone But You
11. Wanna Be Rich
HINDER's third album, "All American Nightmare" (2010), sold 35,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release to debut at position No. 37 on The Billboard 200 chart.
- Blabbermouth reports Alice Cooper and TWISTED SISTER frontman Dee Snider will be the musical guests on the Ship Of Fear: A Horror Cruise, which sails next year between October 28 and November 2. The most terrifying villains from the greatest fright films of all time turn the high seas into their newest hunting ground next Halloween as the very first Ship Of Fear: A Horror Cruise hosted by Tom Holland sets sail. Led by the Architect of Shock Rock, Alice Cooper, directors and actors from genre-defining films, including "Child's Play", "Candyman", "The Fly", "Fright Night", "Gremlins", "The Howling", "Pet Sematary", will roam the decks with macabre illusionists, performance artists and rock stars for five full-moonlit nights. Launched by ECP, the world's largest independent cruise production company, and StarVista, the Ship Of Fear (a full ship charter) departs on its maiden voyage from Miami, Florida on October 28, 2013. The Carnival Victory will sail Halloween week with stops in Nassau, Half Moon Cay and Freeport before returning to Miami on November 2, 2013. Horror/thriller network Chiller has joined the cruise as a presenting sponsor, running extensive promotions on the network, onboard events and establishing co-branding opportunities. The Ship Of Fear will pay homage to horror in all forms. From daily panels and classic horror film reunions featuring appearances by many of the genre's biggest names in front of and behind the camera to costume contests, live demonstrations and more. The non-stop fun features appearances by stars R.A. "Leatherface" Mihailoff, Ed "Chucky" Gale, Kane "Jason" Hodder, Tony "Candyman" Dodd and directors Tom Holland ("Fright Night", "Child's Play"), Mick Garris (television's "Masters of Horror", "The Stand", "Freddy's Nightmares"), Joe Dante ("The Howling", "Piranha", "Gremlins"), Mary Lambert ("Pet Sematary") to live performances by Alice Cooper and more, the terror never ends. Cryuisers will go behind the scenes with some of Hollywood's best special effects and make-up artists, join performance artists such as the irreverent steam-punk, zombie hunting team, League of S.T.E.A.M., and experience illusionists, movie screenings, an amateur film festival, "Screech on the Beach" island party, a Zombie Prom and many more surprises. For more information, go to this location. Read more at Ultimate Classic Rock
- Blabbermouth reports former MISFITS frontman Michale Graves is utilizing the Kickstarter project platform to create funding for the new CD project. Graves will enter Soundmine Recording Studio in November to begin tracking his new album, "Vagabond", for a March 21, 2013 release. The CD, which will ve produced by Hydraulic Entertainment, will feature 11 new and never-before-released songs that display Michale's unique folk/pop sensibility. Underscoring his commitment to his worldwide fan base, Graves has created 15 different "pledge" levels that provide a wide range of was a fan can supported the album's creation. Commented Graves: "I have been a performer for 17 years and have had the chance to travel the world and experience so many incredible people along the way. I live for performing and have been on tour so much that I haven't had the ability to record a new album in over four years. Working in conjunction with Kickstarter, I now have the ability to access those who mean the most — my fans — and create something unique for them." According to Graves. the "Vagabond" CD offered on Kickstarter will not be available at any other point of distribution, making this release an exclusive, limited-edition album. Added Mark Allen Stuart, CEO of Hydraulic Entertainment: "We are incredibly excited about our collaboration with Michale. He is a diverse talent with boundless energy and a deep respect and appreciation for all of his fans." In addition to his production relationship with Hydraulic Entertainment, Graves is the head of the company's music group. Graves has also released the dates for his spring 2013 "Vagabond" tour, which will included stops in 59 locations throughout the U.S.
- Blabbermouth reports on October 1, music journalist Anders Tengner's unauthorized biography of Swedish guitar ace Yngwie J. Malmsteen, "Såsom I Himmelen, Så Ock På Jorden" (English translation: "As Above, So Below") was released in Sweden via Bokfabriken. The 350-page book is based on more than 50 interviews with people who were really close to Yngwie during his life. It gives a unique and sensitive insight into the raging life of the guitar god. It is a tribute to the biggest Swedish rock star ever, but a tribute that doesn't ignore the hard and crazy times. "Såsom I Himmelen, Så Ock På Jorden" contains 64 pictures taken by some of the world's greatest rock photographers, as well as unique and private photos. According to a press release, "This is probably as close as you can get to Yngwie: The loneliness, passion, betrayals, scandals, domestic abuse, drugs, sex and, of course, the music that make up his life." The book's foreword was written by legendary hard rock singer Joe Lynn Turner (RAINBOW, DEEP PURPLE), who previously played with Malmsteen. The "Såsom I Himmelen, Så Ock På Jorden" cover was created by Miso Sokcic and can be seen below. The cover photo was taken by John Livzey. Anders Tengner is described in a press release as "by far the most celebrated music journalist in Sweden. A Swedish Neil Strauss or Mick Wall, if you will. Starting as a writer at music mag Okej in the '80s, he soon got the opportunity to work with his own TV shows. If you didn't know Anders, there was no way you were gonna sell your music in Sweden. Literally every rock star stopped for an interview, a friendly chat and a photo shoot. He also contributed to Kerrang! and Burrn!, among other magazines." On the day that "Såsom I Himmelen, Så Ock På Jorden" was released, Yngwie announced that he is working on his autobiography. Described as "the only real and true story written by Malmsteen himself," "Relentless", will be made available in early 2013.
- Blabbermouth reports after reissuing three acclaimed recent studio albums by legendary hard rock/heavy metal guitarist Marty Friedman over the summer, Prosthetic Records is excited to now introduce North American audiences to the former MEGADETH and CACOPHONY axeman's two "Tokyo Jukebox" albums. Released in Japan in 2009 and 2011, respectively, "Tokyo Jukebox" and "Tokyo Jukebox 2" — the ninth and eleventh chapters in Friedman's influential solo discography — will make their U.S. debuts on November 20 as a limited-edition, specially priced 2CD release featuring artwork exclusive to this pressing and new liner notes by Friedman himself. The double album is now available for pre-order. Soon after leaving MEGADETH following a 10-year run in which the iconic band sold some 10 million albums worldwide, Friedman — perhaps the most revered lead guitarist in thrash metal history — moved to Japan, where over the past decade he became a household name. Between his solo releases and collaborations with Japanese stars, he has played on and written numerous Top 10 hits (including two No. 1s); he has also made hundreds of appearances on mainstream Japanese television and performed at legendary venues such as Budokan and the Tokyo Dome. "Tokyo Jukebox" and "Tokyo Jukebox 2" feature energetic instrumental covers of Japanese pop (J-Pop) songs that can be enjoyed by anyone with a sweet tooth for melody, and capture Friedman's passion for the music of his adopted home country — although, as he warns in the liner notes for this release, "I took the liberty of destroying and reconstructing them my own way." In the below video (which has been posted at Prosthetic's newly-launched Friedman mini-site, where additional "Tokyo Jukebox"-related videos will be unveiled in the coming weeks), Friedman further describes the collection, calling it some of the heaviest and best work of his career. Featuring Jeremy Colson (STEVE VAI, BILLY IDOL) on drums, "Tokyo Jukebox" features reconstructed covers of J-Pop and J-Rock hits selected by readers of Japan's top entertainment magazine. "Tokyo Jukebox 2", meanwhile, was recorded in Los Angeles at The Village (AEROSMITH, KISS), and features guest performances by Jason Bittner (SHADOWS FALL) and Keshav Dhar (SKYHARBOR). The albums feature tracks originally performed by acclaimed Japanese acts such as MR. CHILDREN, SMAP, PERFUME and MAXIMUM THE HORMONE.
- Blabbermouth reports From Thursday, October 11 to Sunday, October 14, LinePlot Productions will have a booth at the New York Comic Con (NYCC) promoting the imminent release of its film, "Silver Circle". At the convention, ICED EARTH mainman/guitarist Jon Schaffer will be meeting fans and signing autographs. In addition, they will be live-tweeting from the convention to announce the release of their full-length graphic novel.
* Thursday, October 11 - 3 p.m. to 9 p.m. (professionals only)
* Friday, October 12 - 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
* Saturday, October 13 - 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
* Sunday, October 14 - 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Jacob Jevits Center
655 West 34th Street
New York, NY 10001
LinePlot Productions will be at booth #961.
Note: Jon Schaffer will be available for autographs and photographs at the LinePlot Productions booth on Saturday from 12 noon to 2 p.m. and 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. (subject to change and most likely extended). "Silver Circle" is a film that lives in our world after massive economic collapse: tyranny, explosions, monetary mayhem, romance and rebels. At the center of corruption is the Federal Reserve who has gained enormous amounts of control over America's economy, with disastrous effects beginning to show. Standing opposite is the band of Rebels who have vowed to take back the freedom they once knew…and they won’t go down without a fight. "Silver Circle" plans to take liberty filmmaking to a whole other level. The NYCC is the East Coast's biggest and most popular culture convention. The show floor hosts comics, graphic novels, anime, manga, video games, toys, movies, and television. Panels and autograph sessions give fans a chance to interact with their favorite creators. The New York Comic Con is the second largest pop culture convention in America. For more information, visit SilverCircleMovie.com.
- Blabbermouth reports "Awakened", the sixth album from San Diego, California metallers AS I LAY DYING, sold around 28,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release to land at position No. 11 on The Billboard 200 chart. Released on September 25 via Metal Blade Records, the CD was produced by Bill Stevenson, who has played drums for both the DESCENDENTS and BLACK FLAG and is one of the most highly renowned producers in rock. His production credits include work on records by RISE AGAINST, NOFX, PROPAGANDHI, THE CASUALTIES, ANTI-FLAG and many more. The album was mixed by Colin Richardson (MACHINE HEAD, NAPALM DEATH, SLIPKNOT). AS I LAY DYING's previous collection of original material, 2010's "The Powerless Rise", sold 38,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release to land at position No. 10 on The Billboard 200 chart. This was roughly in line with the first-week tally of "An Ocean Between Us", which premiered with 39,500 copies back in August 2007. The cover artwork for "Awakened" was created by Metastazis with Tiffanie Uldry and can be seen below. AS I LAY DYING recently completed a video for the new single "A Greater Foundation" with director Drew Russ (A DAY TO REMEMBER, FALLING IN REVERSE) and producer Robby Starbuck. The performance-based clip was shot on location in :os Angeles. "We were all impressed with Drew's ability to capture the intensity of live band performances in his videos, and 'A Greater Foundation' is no exception," explained AS I LAY DYING bassist Josh Gilbert. "Drew's technique, along with the all-day participation of some of our diehard fans in Los Angeles, definitely accentuated the energy of the song and makes for an exciting and dynamic video." Speaking about "Awakened" in a recent interview, AS I LAY DYING guitarist Nick Hipa said, "I can't say that there's anything [on there] that's going to shock anyone. I mean, it sounds like AS I LAY DYING. We're really proud of it because I feel like this is the best 11 songs that we've [written]. It's a very well written record; it's so fast-paced. My way I describe it — it's jam after jam. There's no filler, so by the time you get through the album, you're like, 'Man, that was quick — I can listen it again.' Again, this is just my take on, so hopefully fans will be able to hear that as well." AS I LAY DYING will launch a European tour later this month with TRIVIUM, CALIBAN and UPON A BURNING BODY before returning to the U.S. in November for a nationwide tour.
- Blabbermouth reports DEATH RAY VISION, the new project featuring SHADOWS FALL frontman Brian Fair, KILLSWITCH ENGAGE bassist Mike D'Antonio and former OVERCAST/SEEMLESS guitarist Pete Cortese, has inked a deal with Bullet Tooth, the label run by Trustkill Records founder Josh Grabelle. The band's debut album is tentatively due in 2013. "Josh Grabelle has the capacity to get our record out to more people then we can reach on our own," D'Antonio tells Metal Insider. "It also doesn't hurt that he is an old friend and is really excited about DEATH RAY VISION. What more could you want?" Adds Grabelle: "I'm a huge fan of SHADOWS FALL, KILLSWITCH ENGAGE and OVERCAST. I first met Brian Fair in 1995 at an OVERCAST show in Erie, Pennsylvania. I've been friends with Mike D. for years as well. Mike D. told me he had started a new band and I already knew it was gonna be awesome, and it was! I was honored they thought of me and Bullet Tooth and I know we will knock it out of the park together." According to D'Antonio, the DEATH RAY VISION songs "are much easier to write than KILLSWITCH ENGAGE songs for me, and I can be a bit more old-school in my approach. This style comes very natural to me because I grew up on CRO-MAGS, AGNOSTIC FRONT, MADBALL, LEEWAY and BAD BRAINS. When I want to write, I throw these inspirations on and get to it." DEATH RAY VISION's "Get Lost Or Get Dead" EP was released last year. The CD was recorded in March 2011 at Mad Oak Studio in Allston, Massachusetts with Benny Grotto (MOTHERBOAR, SLAPSHOT, ACARO, DRESDEN DOLLS) at the helm. "For our first release, we wanted to have a huge-sounding record with modern production but still maintain the energy and rawness of the old-school hardcore seven-inches that influence the formation of the band," Fair explained at the time. "We kept it simple with minimal overdubs, layers and Pro Tools magic that is becoming all to common in music today. We just set up, hit record and let it rip." DEATH RAY VISION made its live debut on April 8, 2011 at the Vegas Lounge in Lunenburg, Massachusetts.
DEATH RAY VISION is:
Brian Fair - Vocals Mike D'Antonio - Bass Pete Cortese - Guitar Zack Wells - Guitar Colin Conway - Drums Read more at Noisecreep
- Blabbermouth reports ex-NIGHTWISH singer Tarja Turunen-Cabuli says that she has no interest in rejoining her former band — seven years after she was unceremoniously fired from the group via an open letter. Turunen, who currently resides in Buenos Aires, Argentina with her husband and manager Marcelo Cabuli, tells Finland's Iltalehti that she's grateful to the fans who kindly hope that she will return to NIGHTWISH. However, she insists that there is no chance of that ever happening. "I would be ready to rejoin NIGHTWISH if all the members of the band and the management team were changed," Turunen-Cabuli joked to Iltalehti. Since 2005, the soprano has pursued a solo career and is now working her third studio album, which will be released around Christmas. She said she learned of the latest NIGHTWISH singer departure when a journalist from Finland contacted her for a comment. And what were her initial thoughts about NIGHTWISH and Anette Olzon parting ways? "Sadly enough, I wasn't surprised by it," Tarja said. Turunen-Cabuli, who was in NIGHTWISH from 1996 until 2005, says she is really happy with her solo career right now and insists that returning to the band wouldn't bring her the same kind of joy and sense of fulfillment. Although Turunen-Cabuli has been recording and performing as a solo artist for nearly a decade, she says that she understands the fans who miss the original lineup of NIGHTWISH and are hoping for a reunion. "No one knows what I went through in the band during those years, so I accept how hard it is for the fans to understand my feelings on this matter," Tarja said. Marcelo Cabuli and his business partners last year demanded nearly 100,000 euros (approximately $135,000) in defamation damages from the parties behind "Once Upon a Nightwish: The Official Biography 1996-2006". Named in the lawsuit were the publishing house Like Kustannus Oy and the author of the book, Marko "Mape" Ollila. Cabuli and his Brazilian business partners argued that the book includes false accusations and insinuations that have caused them suffering and financial problems. The book, which was published in Finnish in 2006 and in English three years later, blames Cabuli for the events leading up to Turunen's dramatic expulsion from the band in late 2005. The court ruled that the book — which criticizes Cabuli on only a few of its 380 pages — did not detrimentally affect his work or reputation in South America. In addition, the court determined that Ollila did not maliciously portray Cabuli in a negative light. Turunen was fired from NIGHTWISH a year before the book was published. Read more at Classic Rock
- Babbermouth reports black metal has an illustrious heritage, but its story is often told in the wrong ways. Noisey and Vice are proud to present "One Man Metal", a new three-part documentry with three of the most reclusive figures of the black metal scene, Leviathan, Striborg and Xasthur. They exist on the fringes of black metal and rarely have been documented… until now. In this new documentary, Noisey follows the lives of three enigmatic solo artists — Leviathan, Striborg and Xasthur — producing black metal on the margins of society. These are men who don't just play the music, but embody what it reflects: isolation, misanthropy, and anger. These were exiles struggling to become human, and when they were ready to share their bleak outlook, they turned to Noisey. Presented in sumptuous black and white, the documentary moves from Chicago, to Los Angeles and Tasmania, interviewing these exceptional musicians, most of whom had never shown their face on camera before. The documentary includes the first on-camera interview with Scott Connor, a.k.a. Xasthur, who crafts his bleak sounds from a crumbling apartment in the hinterlands of Los Angeles. Vice also explored the remot environs of rural Tasmania with Sin Nanna of STRIBORG, and finally travelled to San Francisco to speak with Jef Whitehead, a.k.a. Leviathan. This week, "One Man Metal" will see a full international release, following series of delays leading up to Whitehead's 2011 conviction on one count of aggravated domestic battery. Despite the richness of the genre, there ore only a handful of definitive pieces on the subject of black metal. This week, "One Man Metal" joins Michael Moynihan's "Lords Of Chaos" and Vice's book and documentary "True Norwegian Black Metal" in that illustrious lineage. Parts 2 and 3 will run this month on Noisey.
- Loudwire reports Between the Buried and Me guitarists unveil close-up performances of new song "Telos"
- Loudwire reports Hooded Menace "Effigies of Evil" album artist goes in depth on creating stunning cover
- Classic Rock posts video of a track-by-track guide to Danny Thompson’s new album Connected (pt.2)
- Classic Rock posts a new music video from Heaven’s Basement’s "Fire, Fire"
- Noisecreep posts an interview with Bullet Tooth founder Josh Grabelle on getting back to what he loves after Trustkill Records
- Noisecreep posts a chat with Ramona Schatzer on heavy metal cake baker to the stars
- Spinner reports Red Hot Chili Peppers' Chad Smith takes lead role in Bombastic Meatbats
- Rolling Stone reports former R.E.M. guitarist Peter Buck announces first solo album
- Blabbermouth posts performance footage from Nightwish in Potland
Read more quick hits at Noisecreep