Van Halen has now officially canceled the 31 North American tour dates it initially postponed in May, according to Pollstar.com. Although the band itself has not confirmed the cancellations, Pollstar reported that Ticketmaster was listing all shows after June 26th as canceled, with refunds now available at the point of purchase. The shows, which were supposed to begin on July 7th, included stops in Baltimore, Detroit, Memphis, Sacramento, Reno and Milwaukee.
- The fact that the shows have now been scrapped completely, as opposed to just postponed to a later date, will probably fuel another round of speculation about the future of the band and its internal relationships.
- Both singer David Lee Roth and guitarist Eddie Van Halen denied rumors that they were fighting again on the road, with fatigue and an over-ambitious schedule given as the reasons for curtailing the group's live work.
- Eddie told USA Today last month that the band will resume touring in November with shows in Japan, adding, "In the new year, we'll possibly do something special, but I can't talk about it." The group is also said to be a top contender to perform at the Super Bowl halftime show in early 2013.
- Eddie also told Guitar World in a new interview that the band intends to stick around for a while, saying, "It feels more like a band and a family than it ever has . . . We're all very opinionated about things, but it's all for the benefit of the music."
- The band has been supporting its new album, A Different Kind Of Truth, Van Halen's first album in 14 years and first with Roth since 1984.
WHAT DO YOU THINK??
- Does this drastically change things now that the dates are officially canceled?
- Do you think Van Halen is hiding what's really going on behind the scenes?
- Would it be kind of ridiculous for these guys to be fighting again at their age and at this point in their career? What could they possibly be still arguing about?
INTERNET COMMENTS at RollingStone.com -- agree or not?
Dudley Dawson wrote: "DLR cant sing and cant remember the words to his own songs. At least with Sammy he could sing. I love the DLR catalog so much better but DLR doesn't even try. Enough dancing and prancing learn how to sing."
Reality Checker wrote: "Van Halen are done. If anything, they'll beg Sammy and Mchael to come back, but I hope those guys tell Van Halen to go pound sand."
papabear3 wrote: "These dates will never be made up. Although the version of Roth with VH is great, Dave literally cannot sing. He doesn't even try. I saw VH in Chicago and the band sounded great but Roth forgetting lyrics,not singing and prancing around was embarrassing. Time for VH to retire and call it a day."
musicjunkie wrote: "Unbelievable!!!! What a s***ty thing to do to their fans!!! Freakin finish the f-ing tour then break up!!!"
Read more at Loudwire, Ultimate Classic Rock and Rolling Stone