Guns N' Roses singer Axl Rosehas announced that he will not attend the band's induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame this Saturday (April 14th) in Cleveland, and is declining to be inducted along with the rest of the group.
In a lengthy open letter posted at Guns N' Roses' Facebook page, Rose wrote, "I respectfully decline my induction as a member of Guns N' Roses to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I strongly request that I not be inducted in absentia and please know that no one is authorized nor may anyone be permitted to accept any induction for me or speak on my behalf. Neither former members, label representatives nor the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame should imply whether directly, indirectly or by omission that I am included in any purported induction of 'Guns N' Roses.'"
- Rose added that the entire situation left him feeling like he was in an awkward position, explaining, "This decision is personal. This letter is to help clarify things from my and my camp's perspective. Neither is meant to offend, attack or condemn . . . Since the announcement of the nomination we've actively sought out a solution to what, with all things considered, appears to be a no win, at least for me, 'damned if I do, damned if I don't' scenario all the way around."
- The singer also reaffirmed that there is no chance of the original lineup reuniting, and seemed to speak directly to fans still hoping for a reunion when he added, "Time to move on. People get divorced. Life doesn't owe you your own personal happy ending especially at another's, or in this case several others', expense."
- In at least a partial nod to his former bandmates, however, Rose wrote, "For the record, I would not begrudge anyone from Guns their accomplishments or recognition for such. Neither I or anyone in my camp has made any requests or demands of the Hall Of Fame. It's their show not mine."
- Rose's letter seems to have put the final nail in the coffin for fans hoping to see the original lineup perform at this weekend's ceremony. Speculation about such an event has been rampant since the band's induction was announced back in December.
- Guitarist Izzy Stradlin is also not expected to attend, while Slash, Duff McKagan, Steven Adler, Matt Sorum and Dizzy Reed will be on hand. Green Day will give the induction speech.
- Along with Guns, this year's class of inductees includes the Red Hot Chili Peppers, the Beastie Boys, Donovan, the Faces and Laura Nyro.
CHECK IT OUT: Read Axl's full letter at http://tinyurl.com/7bh7637
WHAT DO YOU THINK??
- Did Axl just rob everyone else and the entire ceremony of their thunder, or is he just pulling the ultimate d*** move?
- If you were in his position, what would you do? Is his position even clear?
- Has this whole Guns drama just turned into a farce at this point?
INTERNET COMMENTS at Blabbermouth and Rolling Stone -- agree or not?
Michelle S wrote: "Nothing would be good enough for this self-deluded, self-righteous a$$, Axl Rose. Good riddance Axl, this little move proves how selfish you really are and now the world knows for sure with the whiny letter."
Roman Rodriguez wrote: "he should just go, doesnt have to doing anything but say thank you and leave...at least for the fans."
Woop DeDoo wrote: "I suspected that he probably would not attend the ceremony, let alone perform on a stage with Slash... But 'don't induct me, even in my absence'? wtf? Get real."
Slowly Growing Deaf wrote: "Good for standing up for yourself Axl! Can't wait for the follow up to Chinese Democracy and seeing GNR live again soon."
IIISoviaIII wrote: "This just proves that Axl is indeed a total p***k. He has an opportunity standing in front of him, and like always he walks the other way."
Read more at Blabbermouth, Loudwire, Ultimate Classic Rock, Rolling Stone, Noisecreep, Classic Rock and Spinner
Read what Dee Snider thinks at Blabbermouth, Ultimate Classic Rock and Classic Rock
Check out what Steven Adler thinks at Blabbermouth and Noisecreep
What do you think? Take the poll at Loudwire