Julian Lennon spoke out about his online spat with Paul McCartney last fall after he and his mother Cynthia Lennon were snubbed at both of the former Beatle's wedding receptions in London and New York, along with other Beatles-related events. Shortly after McCartney's wedding to Nancy Shevell -- which fell on John Lennon's birthday on October 9th -- Julian posted on Facebook: "Wow. . . Snubbed at Macca's Wedding, Snubbed at the Anniversary of 'LOVE' in Vegas! Snubbed at Macca's Wedding reception in NYC, last night Snubbed at George (Harrison's) Film Premier. . . What Have I done to be ignored in such a way? I was not invited to ANY of these events. . . I thought WE had a relationship. . . Obviously not. . . Gimme some truth. . . Maybe now it's time to tell the Truth. . . I & My Mother will NOT be eradicated from History. . . How dare they. . ."
Julian now brushed the incident off, telling express.co.uk, "It was laughable. I really did think it's just too funny to be real. I try to look at it in a lighter way otherwise I would be at war with everybody."
- He went on to talk specifically about McCartney, staying, "I am not going to say that we weren't close because he certainly was around at certain times of my life that were important. The wedding? Well, okay, but at least maybe the reception. All of my friends, who are mutual friends, went. I don't want to dwell on it. He did get back to me saying someone obviously made a huge mistake and I accept that. I'll leave it at that."
- Julian went on to say: "I think I could handle things a little more delicately but I also don't want to candy coat things. I don't want to fight with anybody but there are some things I have to stand up for. That comes from Dad and it comes from Mum. She is not going to take any **** from anybody, especially given what's she's been through in her life."
- Although Julian has in the past been very open about his strained relationship with his dad and stepmom, John Lennon and Yoko Ono, we asked him if today he now feels more comfortable keeping the family's dirty laundry closer to the hip: "Yeah, very much so in certain respects depending on what the subject matter is. I'll say, 'Those thoughts are personal and they're for me, or within the family. That's it, that's how it stays -- none of your business."
- Julian Lennon helped inspire two of John Lennon and Paul McCartney's most popular Beatles songs -- Lennon's "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds," which was the title of one of his drawings done in kindergarten; and McCartney's "Hey Jude," which was originally called "Hey Jules" and written to cheer up Julian after his parents' separation.
- John Lennon had one other son, Sean, from his marriage to Yoko Ono.
- In the late '90s Julian Lennon received a multi-million dollar financial settlement from Yoko and the Lennon estate.
- Julian has released six albums -- Valotte (1984); The Secret Value Of Daydreaming (1986); Mr. Jordan (1989); Help Yourself (1991); Photograph Smile (1998); and Everything Changes (2011).
- He's scored four Top 40 hits -- including the Top Tens "Valotte" and "Too Late For Goodbyes."
CHECK IT OUT: George Harrison on Good Morning Australia on April 19th, 1982 talking about Julian, John, and drugs:
Julian Lennon On Protecting Lennon Family Privacy