A British music fan committed suicide after a Them Crooked Vultures concert left him with tinnitus -- a persistent ringing in the ears -- that prevented him from sleeping for three months. According to Fox News, that's the result of a coroner's report into the death of 52-year-old Robert McIndoe, who first tried to overdose at his South London home then later stabbed himself to death.
- McIndoe's psychiatrist, Dr. Helen Stinson, told the Daily Mirror that McIndoe "accepted death as a side effect of stopping the noise."
- McIndoe's wife, Shirley, told the Daily Mail, "When it first happened he wasn't too bothered about it because he thought it would subside, and the friend he had been with also had ringing in his ears that day. But it was a constant irritation. He didn't get a night of sleep after that." McIndoe had two children.
- Them Crooked Vultures is the rock power trio formed by Foo Fighters' Dave Grohl on drums, Queens Of The Stone Age's Josh Homme on vocals and guitar, and Led Zeppelin's John Paul Jones on bass. The band released a self-titled album in 2009 and toured behind it well into 2010.
- Tinnitus can afflict concertgoers and performers who don't wear earplugs. Artists who have suffered from it include Ozzy Osbourne, Metallica's James Hetfield and Lars Ulrich, Alter Bridge vocalist Myles Kennedy and others.
WHAT DO YOU THINK??
- Have you ever suffered from tinnitus or do you know someone who does? How do you or that person deal with it?
- Do you wear earplugs at concerts? If not, do you think you should?
- As bad as tinnitus can be, do you think that it's a reason to kill yourself? Does it seem like this man had other problems going on beside that?
- Does this coroner's report seem suspect?
INTERNET COMMENTS at Ultimate Classic Rock -- agree or not?
Darlene wrote: "This guy obviously had major problems before this. This is a cop out for needing to blame someone! I've had my ears ringing for weeks after a show, never once contemplated suicide!"
Kody wrote: "Suicide is not something that just happens -- suicide is usually caused by SEVERAL issues that drive you to contemplate taking your own life... I doubt this guy really said 'I can't hear anything but a ringing-- guess I better kill myself.'"
Kimberly wrote: "I'm hard of hearing and have had painful infections with them but would never take my own life over it. I wear earplugs and see docs and get ear plugs instead."
John wrote: "I've had tinnitus for almost 30 years. My ears ring 24 hours a day, every day. I understand this guy's frustration. While I've never contemplated suicide, I do understand the torture this guy experienced."
Read more at Blabbermouth, Loudwire and Ultimate Classic Rock