The San Francisco Giants have announced that Metallica will throw out the first pitch and perform the National Anthem at the world champion baseball team's May 3rd home game at AT&T Park, which will be dubbed Metallica Night. The Giants will be playing against the Los Angeles Dodgers that night. Metallica was originally formed in L.A. in 1981 but moved to San Francisco the following year to recruit bassist Cliff Burton and be part of that city's heavier underground metal scene.
- Metallica drummer Lars Ulrich joked a while back that Metallica is always willing to play any kind of gig that comes its way: "When I say we'll show up and play stadiums, arenas, you know, basements or backyard barbecues, I mean that seriously."
- Special event tickets for the game go on sale this Saturday morning (February 9th) at 8:00 a.m. PT.
- Special event tickets include a limited edition Metallica/Giants hat. According to Loudwire, a portion of the ticket sales will be donated to the Bill Graham Foundation, which strives to give grants in the area of music, the arts, and education, while also supporting social work, environmental protection, and spiritual and compassionate projects in the San Francisco community.
DID YOU KNOW?:
Metallica has a busy year ahead. The night before the Giants game, on May 2nd, the band will receive the Ronnie James Dio Lifetime Achievement Award and perform at the fifth annual Revolver Golden Gods Awards, at Club Nokia in downtown Los Angeles. The band is also staging the second edition of its Orion Music + More festival on June 8th and 9th in Detroit, and will release a 3D film called Metallica Through The Never on August 9th.
WHAT DO YOU THINK??
- Do you think Metallica will do a good job with "The Star-Spangled Banner"?
- What's the best rendition of that song you've ever seen? The worst?
CHECK IT OUT:
The 10 worst National Anthem performances ever http://tinyurl.com/b6to3mc
INTERNET COMMENTS at Blabbermouth -- agree or not?
The Man in Black wrote: "It's rare that someone besides a pop singer get to do this. I'm not a big Metallica or baseball guy, but this is kinda cool."
schizo wrote: "Interesting! I can't imagine how a metal band will pull this off. Will James stick to the melody? If so, I doubt he can hit those high notes. Or will Kirk handle the melody Hendrix-style? Maybe the whole thing will just be instrumental?"
Redeemer26 wrote: "Now, if we could get someone to sign them to do the Super Bowl already. Enough with the lame halftime shows. Maybe if Oakland plays, they will do it? Bah! - that'll never happen."
Godsmacker wrote: "This is the coolest thing I have read all day and I wish I was going."
Metallica's Lars Ulrich On Playing All Kinds Of Shows
Read more at Blabbermouth, Loudwire, Ultimate Classic Rock and Noisecreep