Jack White abruptly stopped his show at New York's Radio City Music Hall on Saturday night (September 29th) after just 55 minutes, exiting the stage without a word of explanation to the audience. According to Rolling Stone, White was 12 songs into a set that leaned heavily on his debut solo album, Blunderbuss, with a few White Stripes classics thrown in. But despite the crowd's enthusiasm, White seemed unhappy with its energy level. He even said at one point, "Jesus Christ, is this an NPR convention?" -- despite the crowd being on its feet and cheering for his solo track "Love Interruption." Ironically, he later asked them to quiet down because "I can't hear myself think."
- When he finally left the stage, the audience at first believed it was an intermission and stayed around until crew members came onstage and began unplugging equipment as the curtain came down to chants of "F*** Jack White."
- Although no official statement or explanation for the shortened show was given, a member of White's security team later told the New York Observer, "(White) wasn't happy with the sound. I don't know why he pulled that."
- The Observer also noted that White had several "angry exchanges" with a shirtless fan in the front row who was removed by security.
- White returned on Sunday night (September 30th) for a second show at the venue, this time delivering a complete 21-song set in around 85 minutes. The singer/guitarist appeared to be in a much better mood but barely spoke to the crowd, which roared with enthusiasm throughout the evening.
WHAT DO YOU THINK??
- What would you have done if you were at that show and White walked off?
- Have you ever been at a concert where the artist left and never came back to finish the show?
- Should White offer an explanation or better yet, a refund?
INTERNET COMMENTS at Rolling Stone -- agree or not?
DG1973 wrote: "Good for the people last night, but I am bummed that we got stiffed! $270 and a short set and no apology to us! He should have soldiered that show out for his fans."
1edvedder wrote: "Surprised JW would walk off. He seems like he might get upset but not walk off. Feel for those folks who paid good money to see an hour show.
Barsoom Bob wrote: "I was there Saturday night and in all my concert going history, I never had an experience like that...as talented as you are Mr. White that was still undefendably rude to your fans and unprofessional to the max. You should be ashamed for how you handled this situation."
Michael wrote: "Saw him with the female band in Boston the night before. I thought it was a ho-hum performance; competent enough but no real spark or energy until the encores. I was ready to walk out half-way through."
Iggypop101 wrote: "To insult your crowd who pay to see you is really shameful. This guy is so over rated and he is so cocky. What a loser."
Read more at Classic Rock, Spinner and Rolling Stone
Read about his mext show at Rolling Stone