Foo Fighters frontman Dave Grohl told a festival crowd in New York's Central Park on Saturday night (September 29th) that the band's gig that evening, as part of the Global Citizen Festival, was going to be its last for an indefinite amount of time. According to Loudwire, Grohl told the audience of around 60,000 during their nine-song set, "We're not making a big deal out of this, but this is it. We don't have any more shows after this. This is it. We don't have any ones after this. This is the show where we play as many songs as we can in a short period of time because honestly, I don't know when we're gonna do it again, but this is the perfect place to do it right now tonight."
- Grohl made similar remarks at a European gig this past summer, telling an audience in England that it was seeing "the last show for a long time."
- His comments back then set off a flurry of rumors and speculation online that the Foos were breaking up, leading Grohl to later tweet, "Jeesh! Relax.....I was only talking TO England!! ABOUT England...Stop eavesdropping internets!"
- What Grohl apparently told both crowds -- in England and New York - was that they were watching the respective last shows on the Foos' touring cycle for last year's Wasting Light. The group has not set a timetable for when it plans to begin writing and recording its eighth studio effort.
- If Saturday was the last Foos show for a while, then the band went out in style, with Grohl and other Foos members also returning to stage to jam alongside Neil Young and the Black Keys' Dan Auerbach on Young's "Rockin' In The Free World" at the end of Young's headlining set.
- The Global Citizen Festival was a free concert organized by the Global Poverty Project to raise awareness about extreme poverty.
WHAT DO YOU THINK??
- Should people stop reading so much into it every time Dave Grohl says the Foos are taking a break?
- Does it even matter if it's the last show for a while? Why bother even announcing that when you know it's going to rile the fans up?
- Should Foo Fighters stay away for a while or come back as soon as possible with all guns blazing?
INTERNET COMMENTS at Loudwire -- agree or not?
Jade Maria Guzman wrote: "one last tour please! i want a chance to see you in concert!!!!"
Michelle Campbell wrote: "Don't worry....they won't be gone forever...just working on some new stuff for us."
Rusty Teasdale wrote: "Dude it's just a break....of course they'll be back. This is Dave Grohl after all...he can't surrvive without playing music."
David Garrett wrote: "These guys always follow a grueling album-tour-album-tour schedule so maybe it'll do some good to take a break for a little while. Either sit back and relax or go off on side projects for fun, whatever works for them."
CHECK IT OUT: Watch Foo Fighters perform "Everlong" at the Global Citizen Festival:
Read more at Loudwire
Read more about the festival at Ultimate Classic Rock, Spinner and Rolling Stone
Check out photos at Spinner