- Blabbermouth reports this past week, Zane Lowe of U.K.'s BBC Radio 1 conducted an interview with singer SLIPKNOT/STONE SOUR singer Corey Taylor. You can now listen to the chat in the YouTube clip below. SLIPKNOT's current stint on the Rockstar Energy Drink Mayhem Festival tour is the band's first U.S. trek since the May 2010 death of bassist Paul Gray. When asked what is the one massive thing that Paul took with him from the band when he died, Corey said, "There's a huge void that has to be filled musically. He brought something so different to what we do. I mean, Joey [Jordison, drums] is an amazing writer. Mick [Thomson, guitar] is a great writer; he comes up with amazing riffs. I can kind of hold my own with these guys. Clown [percussion] has a brilliant mind for the crazier stuff, but he also has a great idea of what the vibe should be. Jim [Root, guitar] writes incredible riffs. There was something so different about what Paul brought to the band. Not only could he write these great riffs — these super-heavy, drudgy riffs — but he has such a great vision for melody. I mean, a lot of the stuff that he wrote had so many different layers to it, it was almost orchestral. And that is gonna be hard to fill, because it was just so different. It comes along once in a generation." Commenting on SLIPKNOT's decision to carry on as a band following Gray's passing, Taylor said, "The thing that people don't understand is that we're so different that when we're at home, we don't really hang out a lot. I mean, some of us do. Obviously, I see Jim all the time, 'cause I'm in the other band with him, I see Clown. I talk to [Chris] Fehn a lot, I talk to Sid [Wilson]. But for the most part, we're so different that we never hang out. But then we go on the road, killing [ourselves] every night, and the only person who's gonna understand is someone who's there. So we're very tight as a family. Does that mean we're all bunking together, like 'Real World'-style, like MTV? No. Not at all. 'Cause we'd kill each other within 10 seconds. But that bond will never be broken." Following the end of the Mayhem tour, the group will headline Knotfest, two festival dates put together by the band itself on August 17 in Council Bluffs, Iowa and August 18 in Somerset, Wisconsin. SLIPKNOT will tentatively enter the studio sometime in 2013 to begin recording its fifth album. In the meantime, a greatest-hits collection called "Antennas To Hell" arrives on July 24. Read more at Loudwire
- Blabbermouth reports Fan-filmed video footage of IRON MAIDEN's July 19 concert at Klipsch Music Center in Indianapolis, Indiana can be seen below. During the opening notes of "Wasted Years", IRON MAIDEN singer Bruce Dickinson can be heard addressing a fan in the audience: "Oh, for fuck's sake, the man the white shirt, you've been texting for the last three fucking songs! You're a wanker!"
The band's setlist was as follows:
02. Can I Play With Madness
03. The Prisoner
04. 2 Minutes To Midnight
05. Afraid To Shoot Strangers
06. The Trooper
07. The Number Of The Beast
08. Phantom Of The Opera
09. Run To The Hills
10. Wasted Years
11. Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
12. The Clairvoyant
13. Fear Of The Dark
14. Iron Maiden
15. Aces High
16. The Evil That Men Do
17. Running Free
The 34-date "Maiden England" tour is IRON MAIDEN's most extensive visit to North America for many years and includes a number of other cities the band have not played in a very long time such as Atlanta, Milwaukee, Buffalo, Indianapolis, Salt Lake City and Sacramento, and places like Sarnia (Ontario, Canada) and Cadott, Wisconsin where they have never visited before. The tour is based on the band's "Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son Tour", with a setlist almost exclusively from the 1980s featuring all the classic songs and hits. The same spectacular stage set as was used on the original 1988 tour has been recreated, complete with a magnificent light show, pyro and a newly reincarnated Eddie! When asked by The Aquarian Weekly what the reason was behind choosing a setlist like that of the famous 1988 excursion, 7th Tour Of A 7th Tour, IRON MAIDEN guitarist Adrian Smith said, "Well, we just thought it'd be fun to revisit that period in time — there were some good songs there. It's just great revisiting some of the songs we haven't played for a long while. It keeps us fresh and it's just, you know, we got a lot of new fans coming on board now, a lot of younger fans who probably never saw or were around when we did that tour. That's one factor of it for us revisiting that time and I think there's some good songs from that period, so it's fun to do." On the topic of how this tour differs from those in the recent years, Adrian said, "Well, this is a new set; we haven't taken the stage set out, for example, so it's a new stage set. We got new effects. I think it's going to be actually more spectacular than the original tour and probably, technically, you got more stuff now to put into a live show in terms of lighting and that, which will make it quite spectacular, so I think this is going to be pretty special, this tour. What with the songs, we love playing these songs, and with the stage set and effects and of course we got Eddie, he's back, so it should be fun." The extraordinary and legendary ALICE COOPER is IRON MAIDEN's very special guest on all shows up to July 21. After that date, special guest will be COHEED AND CAMBRIA, the inspiring, cutting-edge band from New York. For a complete list of "Maiden England" 2012 tour dates, visit IronMaiden.com. Read more at Loudwire, Ultimate Classic Rock and Noisecreep
- Blabbermouth reports New York-based heavy metal singer Dan Nelson (BLACKGATES, TRED, ANTHRAX) is the proud father of a baby boy, Benjamin Nelson. Nelson recently settled a lawsuit he filed against ANTHRAX over the fallout from his departure from the veteran metal group. Details of the settlement were not made public. Nelson, who was in ANTHRAX for nearly two years — from late 2007 until July 2009 — filed a lawsuit last November claiming that Charlie Benante (drums), Frank Bello (bass) and Scott Ian (guitar) falsely stated in "numerous interviews" that he had "abruptly resigned" after getting sick, forcing a cancelation of a tour. The $2.65-million suit also alleged that Benante told BLABBERMOUTH.NET that Nelson "was a bully." The Long Island native said his ex-bandmates' "intentional defamation" has caused him a loss of income and damaged his reputation. Nelson is currently a member of BLACKGATES alongside drummer Paul Bostaph (ex-TESTAMENT, EXODUS, SLAYER, FORBIDDEN), guitarist Jeremy Epp (THE VENTING MACHINE) and bassist Luis Barillas (THE VENTING MACHINE). He is also working with TRED, the new group featuring Mike Orlando (guitar; ADRENALINE MOB), AJ Pero (drums; TWISTED SISTER) and Rudy Sarzo (bass; OZZY OSBOURNE, QUIET RIOT, WHITESNAKE, DIO). Read more at Noisecreep
- Blabbermouth reports MOTÖRHEAD will release "The Wörld Is Ours – Vol 2: Anyplace Crazy As Anywhere Else" in Germany on September 21, three days later in the rest of Europe and October 9 in North America via UDR/EMI. The follow-up to 2011's "The Wörld Is Ours – Vol 1: Everywhere Further Than Everyplace Else" will feature the band's 2011 Wacken Open Air headline appearance as well as highlights from Sonisphere (United Kingdom) and Rock In Rio (Brazil) shows. "The Wörld Is Ours – Vol 2: Anyplace Crazy As Anywhere Else" will be available as a digipack (DVD plus two CDs), double-CD, double-vinyl (Wacken Open Air show), Blu-ray and direct-to-consumer version featuring 2 CDs, a DVD/Blu-ray and a special booklet.
"The Wörld Is Ours – Vol 2: Anyplace Crazy As Anywhere Else" track listing:
Wacken Open Air - August 8, 2011 in Wacken, Germany
* Iron Fist
* Stay Clean
* Get Back In Line
* Over The Top
* Rock Out
* One Night Stand
* The Thousand Names of God
* I Know How to Die
* The Chase Is Better Than the Catch
* In the Name of Tragedy
* Just 'Cos You Got The Power
* Going To Brazil
* Killed By Death
* Ace Of Spades
Sonisphere - July 10, 2011 at Knebworth House in Hertfordshire:
* Iron Fist
* I Know How To Die
* In The Name Of Tragedy
* Killed By Death
* Ace Of Spades
Rock In Rio - September 25, 2011 in Rio De Janeiro, Brazil:
* Stay Clean
* Over The Top
* The Chase Is Better Than The Catch
* Going To Brazil
* Killed By Death
Bonus material: festival impression Wacken Open Air
MOTÖRHEAD's latest album, "The Wörld Is Yours", sold 7,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release to land at position No. 94 on The Billboard 200 chart. The band's previous effort, "Motörizer", premiered with 6,400 units back in 2008 to debut at No. 82, while 2006's "Kiss Of Death" registered a first-week tally of 3,500. "The Wörld Is Yours" was released in North America on February 8, 2011. The CD is a vital, scorching statement of intent from the band as they launch Motörhead Music, their very first record label. Written and performed by Lemmy Kilmister, Philip Campbell and Mikkey Dee in both Los Angeles, California and Wales, with production once again by Cameron Webb, "The Wörld Is Yours" serves to remind everyone that you should never stop questioning or critiquing a society that would surely chew you up and spit you if given half a chance. And with 10 soul-scorching testaments to the unbridled power this world-famous trio continually maintain, "The Wörld Is Yours" delivers some of the finest, most important Motörmusic yet. Read more at Loudwire and Ultimate Classic Rock
- Blabbermouth reports JELLO BIAFRA AND THE GUANTANAMO SCHOOL OF MEDICINE are releasing two versions of their new song "Shock-U-Py!" as a pay-what-you-want digital download. The two versions are an acoustic sing-a-long mix and a heavier rock-a-long mix. The two song mixes are available right now on Jello's Bandcamp page. Biafra explains: "Better late than never, here's our tribute inspired by the Occupy movement. Not just 'occupy' — Shock-You-Py! — since my favorite kind of resistance can have theater, pranks and other creative sabotage — non-violent, of course!" The "Shock-U-Py!" EP hits in early fall, followed by the long-awaited new JELLO BIAFRA AND THE GUANTANAMO SCHOOL OF MEDICINE full-length, "White People And The Damage Done". "Vinyl and CDs will take a few weeks so we're posting 'Shock-U-Py!' online now — in two forms," Biafra states. "There's the 'sing-a-long mix' from the EP — semi-acoustic and ready made (for the most part) for singing at street protests. Or if you want the usual 'rip your head off' approach, there's the 'rock-a-long mix' with the guitars way louder. So, hey — now you have freedom of choice: two mixes, pay or don't pay, you decide. Please help us out if you can. I'm way in debt trying to finish the album. Benefit compilations for Occupy can just take it, it's right there!" The "Shock-U-Py!" EP will also include the non-album song "Barackstar O'Bummer" plus a remix of "We Occupy" another song for the uprising Jello guested on with D.O.A. "We both go way back in the direct action side of things so I'm honored Joe asked me to sing on this," Biafra says. "Occupy may be out of the corporate news machine right now, but that hardly means that it's gone away and it won't go away until the problems go away," he adds. "To me it's a reigniting of the anti-corporate 'spirit of Seattle' but this time it's bigger because times are more severe." The album "White People And The Damage Done" will include the title track, "Brown Lipstick Parade" (about guess what?), "Werewolves Of Wall Street", "Road Rage", "Mid-East Peace Process", "Crapture" (about the upside to being "left behind" as naked bigots fly heavenward), a ramped-up revival of "Burgers Of Wrath" from Jello and Mojo Nixon's "Prairie Home Invasion" album and more. "'Burgers Of Wrath' is probably the best song I'll ever write about unemployment and homelessness and works well as both a punk song and an americana song," Biafra says. "I've been wanting to play it again for a long time." THE GUANTANAMO SCHOOL OF MEDICINE are now Biafra on vocals and tuneage; Ralph Spight guitars, vocals, keyboards; Kimo Ball still more guitars, Andrew Weiss on bass; plus new drummer Paul Della Pelle.
- Blabbermouth reports "Bag Of Bones", the ninth studio album from Swedish hard rockers EUROPE, has been certified gold in the group's home country for sales in excess of 20,000 copies. According to the band, the CD entered the official chart in Sweden at position No. 2 and "has since then continued to sell steadily." The group adds, "'Bag Of Bones' is fast becoming the most successful record since the reunion. Note: The International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI) in Sweden has revised the sales requirements for albums to reach gold status in the country twice in the last seven years — from the pre-2002 level of 40,000 to the current 20,000. EUROPE recently filmed a video for the song "Firebox" in Gothenburg, Sweden. Helming the clip was Patric Ullaeus (DIMMU BORGIR, LACUNA COIL, IN FLAMES, SONIC SYNDICATE, KAMELOT), who previously worked on the last three EUROPE videos.
The "Firebox" video will make its online debut in August. "Bag Of Bones" was released in Europe on April 27 via earMusic/Edel. The CD, which features a guest appearance by blues-rock guitarist Joe Bonamassa (BLACK COUNTRY COMMUNION), was produced by Kevin Shirley, who has previously worked with IRON MAIDEN, JOE BONAMASSA, BLACK COUNTRY COMMUNION, BLACK STONE CHERRY and JOURNEY, among others.
- Blabbermouth reports the cover artwork for "Reprisal", the new album from Australian/Los Angeles tech-metal masters DEVOLVED, can be seen below. The CD, which will be released on November 20 via Unique Leader Records, will feature guest appearances by Francesco Artusato (ALL SHALL PERISH), Nate Vennarucci (ONTOGENY, ANOMALOUS), Malcolm Pugh (DISKREET, A LOATHING REQUIEM) and Vishal Singh (ROBOTS PULLING LEVERS). Commented DEVOLVED drummer, lyricist and founding member John Sankey: "I deliberately wanted to combine an organic death metal approach with more progressive and modern elements, while still incorporating a cold and futuristic soundscape which has always been a signature of our sound and concept. "I had a very specific vision for this album and it is finally the definitive representation of what I have always wanted DEVOLVED to be. "After our last studio release, 'Oblivion', I decided to work on my own and wrote all the new song structures and arrangements in their entirety by tracking just drums and vocals myself. Once they were complete, I recruited new guitarist Mark Hawkins [ROBOTS PULLING LEVERS] who then wrote and recorded all the guitar and bass parts. His involvement really allowed us to push the boundaries of each track and took the music to a totally new level of speed and technicality. "To say the guitar work on this album is far beyond anything we have done before would be a huge understatement! New singer Mark Haggblad [UNVEIL THE STRENGTH] also brings a rejuvenated ferocity to the band; his relentless vocal delivery is extremely aggressive throughout each track while still maintaining a unique tone that fits the dynamics and diversity of the songs perfectly. "It has been a renewed creative experience working with such focused and talented new members, and it has definitely allowed us to surpass anything the band has been capable of in the past. 'Reprisal' is without doubt the album I have always strived to create since the formation of DEVOLVED!"
"Reprisal" track listing:
01. Systematic Avenger
02. Accelerated Human Degeneration
03. Reprisal Of The Damned
04. Supremacy Enforced
06. Collateral Damage
07. Apocalyptic Visionary
08. Terminal Enslavement
09. Corrupted Mind Processor
10. Inanimate Infinity
11. (Cadence Of) The Dirge (EXHORDER cover; bonus track)
Sankey late last year recorded all the demo drum sessions for the new FEAR FACTORY album, "The Industrialist", and co-wrote and programmed all the drum parts, along with FF guitarist Dino Cazares, for the final CD. He was unable to join FEAR FACTORY as the band's new touring drummer due to visa restrictions. Cazares previously stated about the new DEVOLVED material, "Systematic brutality at its best. Raising the bar once again with their intellectual song arrangements [and] insane drum patterns that would make any tech metal fan turn their heads. This band just keeps getting better and better. Welcome to the end of everything that you once knew and say hello to the future."
DEVOLVED's last album, "Oblivion", was released in May 2011 via Unique Leader Records.
- Blabbermouth reports Dutch symphonic metallers DELAIN will film a video for an as-yet-undiclosed song off their third full-length studio album, "We Are The Others", on July 29 in Zwolle, Holland. Commented the band: "Our fans have been a huge support and inspiration in the making of our latest record, so for our next video, we'd like to get our fans and friends actively involved! We still need some people to appear in our video, meaning you'll be there at the actual video shoot! If you'd like to be in the video and if you're able to travel to Zwolle in Holland on July 29, please send an e-mail. Your help is much appreciated! You can apply at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include a link to your Facebook profile." "We Are The Others" was released in North America via the New Jersey-based top-tier progressive metal label Sensory Records. CNR Entertainment is handling the release in The Netherlands and Roadrunner Records is issuing the CD in the rest of Europe.
"We Are The Others" track listing (North American version):
01. Mother Machine
03. We Are The Others
04. Milk And Honey
05. Hit Me With Your Best Shot
06. I Want You
07. Where Is The Blood (feat. Burton C. Bell)
08. Generation Me
10. Are You Done With Me
11. Get The Devil Out Of Me
12. Not Enough
13. The Gathering (live)
14. Control The Storm (live)
15. Shattered (live)
16. Sleepwalkers Dream (live)
The lead single, "Get The Devil Out Of Me", hit stores on April 13 (April 15 for U.K.) to coincide with the start of the band's European tour. The "Get The Devil Out Of Me" video can be seen below. The clip features footage from the recording sessions for the new CD and live material, including footage from the Sonisphere festival in the U.K. (used with kind permission of BlinkTV). Described as "the band's most powerful, most atmospheric and intoxicating album to date," "We Are The Others" was helmed by producer Jacob Hellner — renowned for his work with RAMMSTEIN, CLAWFINGER and APOCALYPTICA — while the vocals were tracked with the Epicentre team of Fredrik Thomander and Anders Wikström (SCORPIONS, BACKYARD BABIES). At first glance, some songtitles on "We Are The Others" may sound mysterious and conspiratorial, but there is a very serious background: The lyrics to the title track were inspired by the hate crime against a British girl named Sophie Lancaster in 2007. She and her boyfriend were beaten comatose by a gang of youths, because of their goth looks, and Sophie later died from her injuries. This tragedy sent shockwaves throughout the world. Commented singer Charlotte Wessels: "Sophie's story hit close to home for us, being part of a subculture ourselves but it's in no way an individual case; people are discriminated against — all the time, to the point of violence — based on their cultural or ethnic background everywhere. "'We Are The Others' is our own 'outsiders anthem' for everybody who, deliberately or not, diverts from the norm. Whether it's by looking different, acting different, or choosing a different path in life then is expected from you."
"Get The Devil Out Of Me" video:
- Blabbermouth reports Yonkers, New York-based technical death metallers MALIGNANCY will release their new album, "Eugenics" on October 9 via Willowtip. According to a press release, the CD promises to be MALIGNANCY's "most innovative release to date."
"Eugenics" track listing:
01. Type Zero Civilization
03. Extinction Event
04. Global Systemic Collapse
05. Cataclysmic Euphoria
07. Monstrous Indifference
09. Creatures of Conformity
10. The Breach
MALIGNANCY recently completed a European tour without drummer Mike Heller, who was not able to join his bandmates on the trek due to the fact that he is currently sitting behind the kit for FEAR FACTORY. Filling in for his was Alex Cohen (PYRRHON). The "Containment Breach Europe" tour passed through Extremefest, Obscene Extreme and Houten Deathfest with support from CEPHALIC IMPURITY. The tour also crossed paths with the "Condemned" European tour.
- Blabbermouth reports Spanish melodic death metallers THE DESCENT have inked a deal with Xtreem Music for the release of their debut album, "Dimensional Matters". Due in October, the 10-song CD was produced by Carlos Creator at RockStudios and was mixed at Studio Fredman by Fredrik Nördstrom (AT THE GATES, OPETH, IN FLAMES). The effort features a guest appearance by Dalay Tarda (RISE TO FALL) in the song "Rejected By The Sun". A video for the track "The Day After", which will appear on "Dimensional Matters", can be seen below.
- Blabbermouth reports multinational metallers RAVEN LORD have announced the addition of keyboardist Pontus Larsson (VINDICTIV, FIRECRACKER) and drummer Henrik Hedman (CELESTIAL DECAY, LAST KINGDOM) to the group's ranks.
RAVEN LORD is:
* Csaba Zvekan (KILLING MACHINE, SARDONYX, EMERGENCY) - Vocals
* Stefan Lindholm (VINDICTIV) - Lead Guitar
* Jamie Mallender (TONY MARTIN) - Bass
* Pontus Larsson (VINDICTIV, FIRECRACKER) – Keyboards
* Henrik Hedman (CELESTIAL DECAY, LAST KINGDOM) - Drums
RAVEN LORD is currently putting the finishing touches on its debut album. Commented Mallender: "Make no mistake, we have made an album that's gonna smack you in the face with both fists! This is the record that has been missing from the metal scene for far too many years. But, despite the obvious anger and power of this music, there's a lot of melody and harmony in there and we wanted to bring in a keyboard player that loved metal, to complement the melodic side, but not water things down or get too Wakeman on our asses. Meet Pontus Larsson, who has filled this role perfectly, he's done exactly what we wanted him to and we are absolutely thrilled to have him onboard." Added Larsson: "I was in the studio recording an album with VINDICTIV when I was asked to join RAVEN LORD. I was kind of busy, but after I listened to the songs and checked out the band members, it only took me 1 second to say yes! I'm proud to be a part of the band! It's great to play with all these talented musicians." RAVEN LORD was also searching for a world-class, powerhouse drummer with the right chops and staggering technical ability to make a truly devastating rhythm section statement with this album. Enter Henrik Hedman, from Järvsö, a small village in the southern part of Norrland, Sweden, who has previously played with the bass guitar virtuoso Magnus Rosén (ex-HAMMERFALL). Overjoyed at the new addition, Zvekan had this to say: "Henrik Hedman's future is pretty clear he will be a big player in the music industry. We are fortunate to have him on board with RAVEN LORD!" Hedman is just as excited about the alliance: "I feel a great honor and exaltation at having been invited to the RAVEN LORD family. My fellow musicians are all wonderful people, extremely talented in their art and the creativity is overwhelming! No bullshit, this is an old dream come true! The RAVEN has spread its wings, and it's heading your way! The RAVEN LORD of Thunder."
- Loudwire posts an interview with The Word Alive singer Tyler "Telle" Smith discusses the band stability and "Life Cycles" album
- Loudwire reports Motley Crue and Kiss play hits filled sets to open "The Tour" in Virginia. Read more about Kiss and Motley Crue at Ultimate Classic Rock
- Loudwire reports Volbeat potentially eyeing late 2012 start for new album
- Ultimate Classic Rock reports Further bassist Phil Lesh expects more touring but no more recording albums
- Ultimate Classic Rock reports Cheap Trick borrow Aerosmith guitarist Brad Whitford for guest appearance in Boston
- Rolling Stone reports Slightly Stoopid get groovy on "Top of the World"
- Rolling Stone reports Florence Welch finds her voice in Vancouver
- Rolling Stone reports TV on the Radio, Mavis Staples, Sinead O'Connor and Questlove gather to honor Curtis Mayfield
- Blabbermouth posts new music videos from Blodarv "I Blaek Og Blod"
- Blabbermouth posts performace footage from Lita Ford acoustic at New Jersey's "Vintage Vinyl", Static-X in Odessa, Doro Pesch performing new single Holland's Zwarte Cross Festival, Kamelot with Epica and Rhapsody Of Fire members at Bulgaria's "Kavarna Rock" and Mayan at the "Graspop Metal Meeting"