Guitarist Eddie Van Halen has said in a new interview with Guitar World that the current version of the band, featuring original singer David Lee Roth, did not just sign up for one album and a couple of years of touring. Eddie insisted that they're in it for the long haul, explaining, "It feels more like a band and a family than it ever has, and not just because three-quarters of it is family. Working with Dave has been very productive. We're all very opinionated about things, but it's all for the benefit of the music."
Eddie added that the group's past dramas and lineup changes are all behind them, saying, "It wasn't really us, it was people around us. When you're doing drugs, drinking and partying, you start believing the s*** people tell you. Those days are gone. We've gotten rid of people who don't belong here."
- The guitarist also said that he's personally feeling the best he has in a long time, adding, "I have a wonderful wife, wonderful friends and a son who doesn't smoke, drink or do drugs . . . What more could I ask for?"
- Although the group postponed 31 shows -- basically the entire second leg -- of its North American tour, which now ended earlier this week, the group will play Japan in November and possibly do more U.S. shows in early 2013. A Super Bowl halftime appearance is also rumored.
- After that, Eddie wants to get to work sooner rather than later on a follow-up to this year's A Different Kind Of Truth album. He said, "That's what I hope to do. I'm pretty sure that's what our intention is."
- A Different Kind Of Truth is Van Halen's first album in 14 years and first with Roth since 1984.
CHECK IT OUT: Here's Van Halen performing "Unchained" in San Antonio:
WHAT DO YOU THINK??
- Do you think this version of Van Halen can last a while?
- Or will Dave and Ed revert to their old behaviors and end up splitting?
- Does it sound like Eddie is trying to put a good front on things, or could the band really, finally be getting along?
INTERNET COMMENTS at Ultimate Classic Rock -- agree or not?
John Donaldson wrote: "i'm sooooo happy this lineup is getting along and talking about future..."
Chris Statas wrote: "I'm loving all this good VH news!!! The future looks bright, EVH loves working with Dave, more albums, tours to come is this really the second coming of the mighty VAN HALEN?!!! What another great VAN HALEN DAY!!!"
Lisa Coto wrote: "This is awesome I hope it never ends. I only got to see one show ( Las Vegas) and it left me wanting more VH!"
Read more at Blabbermouth and Ultimate Classic Rock