Subscribe to channel
- Pearl Jam vocalist Eddie Vedder has released "Skipping," the previously unheard solo song he has contributed to the charity album Every Mother Counts 2012. The track, an ode to the singer's children, features an appearance by his six-year-old daughter Olivia. A portion of the proceeds from the Every Mother Counts album goes to the organization of the same name, which promotes maternal health. The disc, which also features new songs from Coldplay, Beck, the Dave Matthews Band, U2 members Bono and The Edge and more, will be available at Starbucks locations in the U.S. throughout May. (Loudwire) Read more at Classic Rock and Rolling Stone
- The three original members of Black Sabbath have announced just their third show since guitarist Tony Iommi was diagnosed with cancer. The group, still minus founding drummer and contract holdout Bill Ward, will play a special low-key show in their hometown of Birmingham, England on May 19th. Although Iommi is recuperating from cancer treatments, the band canceled a planned world tour and has just two other shows, England's Download Festival in June and Chicago's Lollapalooza event in August, on its calendar. (Classic Rock) Read more at Blabbermouth, Loudwire, Ultimate Classic Rock
- The Smashing Pumpkins have revealed the track list and cover art for their new album, Oceania, which is due out on June 19th via EMI Music. The set's 13 songs are part of the overall 44-track Teargarden By Kaleidyscope project that is still in the works, The disc is also the first full-length album to include the Pumpkins' current lineup, which consists of guitarist Jeff Schroeder, bassist Nicole Fiorentino and drummer Mike Byrne in addition to frontman and sole founding member Billy Corgan. Check out the artwork and full track list at http://tinyurl.com/7slz55z (FMQB) Read more at Blabbermouth, Rolling Stone and at Loudwire
CHECK IT OUT: Listen to Eddie Vedder's new song, "Skipping":
- Blabbermouth reports "Harakiri", the new studio album from singer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, poet and political activist Serj Tankian, will be released July 10 on Reprise Records/Serjical Strike. The official lyric video for the first single, "Figure It Out", is available below. "Harakiri", a Japanese word meaning ritual suicide, is the follow-up to 2010's critically acclaimed "Imperfect Harmonies", and the third solo release from the SYSTEM OF A DOWN frontman. As with 2007's "Elect The Dead" and "Imperfect Harmonies", Serj produced "Harakiri" himself at his home studio in Los Angeles. He tried to approach writing a little differently this time around. "I used the Apple iPad as a songwriting instrument to sketch out three of the songs on the record," explains Serj. "We must trick ourselves into writing in different ways to get unexpected results." The album will also feature performances by Serj's touring band, THE F.C.C. — Dan Monti on guitar, Mario Pagliarulo on bass, and Troy Zeigler on drums. Dan Monti is also co-mixing and co-engineering the album with Serj. The album was mastered by Vlado Meller (METALLICA, RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS, KANYE WEST, BEASTIE BOYS). Serj reveals each of the songtitles in a statement describing "Harakiri" below. The song names are in order and in bold: "The Cornucopia of love/hate affairs with Gaia have made us scream 'Figure It Out! CEOs are the disease." Where abusive capitalism's only fate is human/environmental devastation. The Ching Chime, diminutive drama of a gangsta Butterfly revealed that humanity's tears actually outweigh yearly rainfall on the planet. "We have witnessed Harakiri on a grand scale tearing out the Occupied Tears of victims preyed on by victims turned aggressors creating a Deafening Silence through which we hear a voice plead, 'Forget Me Knot, my child.' "Reality TV has become the searing indictment of a society best described as the Uneducated Democracy. The daughters of the evolution Weave On with blood dripping down their guilty hands onto the flag as the word republic is replaced by empire." Much of the new record was written in 2011, which was an incredibly busy year for the diversely talented musician and what Serj describes as "the busiest, most productive year of my life so far." In February, the rock musical "Prometheus Bound", which he composed all of the music for, opened at the Oberon Theater at Harvard in Boston to rave reviews. 2011 also saw Serj release his second poetry book, "Glaring Through Oblivion". He toured with SYSTEM OF A DOWN across three continents, performed with the Opera Orchestra in Yerevan, Armenia, where he also had political meetings with heads of state and hosted non-profit events. He then performed his first ever concert in Lebanon, the place of his birth, with the Lebanese National Symphony Orchestra. When he returned to the U.S., he finished writing four records: a jazz record, an electronic record he wrote with his friend Jimmy Urine of MINDLESS SELF INDULGENCE, a full classical symphony called "Orca", and the new solo rock record that he is currently mastering. Read more at Loudwire
- Blabbermouth reports after three groundbreaking tribute shows entitled "Bonzo: The Groove Remains The Same", as well as popular demand and a collective passion and respect amongst all the participating drummers, past and present to John Bonham, the greatest rock drummer ever, Brian Tichy and Joe Sutton have decided to go for it once again! Bonzo's Birthday Bash is taking place on May 31; Bonzo's exact birthday! Many of the past drummers who have performed already are back, as well as some new players! WHITESNAKE drummer and Bonzo Bash founder Brian Tichy says, "When I first thought of this, the idea seemed too cool and simple NOT to try; get a John Bonham replica drum set, complete with gong and timpani, up front, center stage, and have each drummer perform their favorite LED ZEP song with a house band (THE MOBY DICKS). There are no rules other than to have fun putting your own groove and character into your song choice! It's such a unique night, seeing how all these great drummers approach the same drum set making it their own! And THE MOBY DICKS hold their own as a true force to be reckoned with! We have structure and within the structure there is total freedom, making the pace and vibe of this show somewhere between a backyard party and a.... backyard party with a killer band playing LED ZEP songs! Haha! Our previous shows were named 'The Groove Remains The Same', but this tribute falls on Bonzo's exact birthday and we wanted to let that be known! "I am a tried and true Zep Head; a total Bonzo freak! Bonzo is my lifelong most 'listened to' drummer! This is a labor of love. The camaraderie and ego-less respect amongst all involved is something very rare to be a part of these days. Ask any of us! We've never been part of a show quite like this before! There has never been a tribute like this to a musician before! John Bonham deserves it! Bonzo's Birthday Bash is the ultimate tribute show and that's that! So get a ticket, get a good seat, grab a now classic 'Bonzo Burger' and get into the festivities!"
The following drummers will take part in the event:
* Steven Adler (GUNS 'N ROSES, ADLER)
* Seven Antonopoulos (OPIATE FOR THE MASSES, LEAVES' EYES)
* Camine Appice (ROD STEWART, VANILLA FUDGE, CACTUS)
* Vinny Appice (BLACK SABBATH, DIO, HEAVEN & HELL, KILL DEVIL HILL)
* Frankie Banali (QUIET RIOT)
* Bobby Blotzer (RATT)
* Fred Coury (CINDERELLA)
* Jimmy D'Anda (BULLETBOYS)
* Ray Luzier (KORN)
* Khurt Maier (SALTY DOG)
* Mike Portnoy (DREAM THEATER, ADRENALINE MOB)
* Glen Sobel (ALICE COOPER)
* Brian Tichy (WHITESNAKE, S.U.N.)
* Joe Travers (ZAPPA PLAYS ZAPPA)
* Simon Wright (AC/DC, DIO)
THE MOBY DICKS lineup:
* Michael Devin (WHITESNAKE) - bass (Whitesnake)
* Stephen LeBlanc (JASON BONHAM'S LED ZEP EXPERIENCE) - keyboards
* Keith St. John (MONTROSE) - Vocals
* Brian Tichy (S.U.N.) - Guitar, Drums
* Brent Woods (BRENTWOOD FOREST) - Lead And Rhythm Guitars
Tickets will be available at www.hob.com on Thursday, May 3. Tickets are $25 and $30 day of show. Read more at Ultimate Classic Rock
- Blabbermouth posts video footage of SLIPKNOT mastermind/percussionist M. Shawn "Clown" Crahan talking to the Artisan News about how he got METALLICA drummer Lars Ulrich to write the foreword to his photo book "Apocalyptic Nightmare Journey" can be seen below. "Apocalyptic Nightmare Journey", which will be published by MTV Books in June, is a collection of explorations in darkness and light from Shawn's experimental photography, his second and equally powerful artistic outlet which he has honed for over a decade. Weird, wired, paranoid, endlessly imaginative and cancerously prolific, he's created thousands of dangerous representations of reality through eye-gouging Polaroids in numerous styles in this hand-picked collection. Ulrich's foreword reads in part, "Throw yourself into Clown's world, throw yourself into Clown's book, throw yourself into Clown's images, throw yourself into the whole fucking thing. Let go of the bungee cord, do away with the safety net. Just go for it, and let the journey take you wherever the journey's going to take you. And as you're going on that trip through this book, occasionally imagine Clown next to you. Imagine hearing his voice in your head talking about what these images and experiences have meant to him and where he was going with it. And you will end up on one fuck of a ride, that I can guarantee you will be unique, spellbinding, and potentially life-altering. This book is everything that art should be." M. Shawn Crahan, better known as Clown, is the percussionist and founding member of the Grammy Award-winning hard rock band SLIPKNOT. Crahan is also the art director for SLIPKNOT and directed their DVDs, "Disasterpieces", "Voliminal: Inside The Nine", "Of The (sic)", and "(sic)nesses: Live at Download". He has been the creative vision behind the band since their inception. Outside of SLIPKNOT, Crahan has had a few other projects of note: TO MY SURPRISE, who released one album (executive-produced by Rick Rubin) on Roadrunner Records in 2004, as well as the alternative group DIRTY LITTLE RABBITS. Crahan produced, played drums, and wrote in both groups. In 2009, DIRTY LITTLE RABBITS released the EP "Simon" on The End Records, which was followed by their self-titled full length in 2010. Recently, Crahan has been focusing his musical energy on his newest band, THE BLACK DOTS OF DEATH. In this latest project, Crahan can once again be found behind the drum kit in addition to writing, recording, and producing the band, whose debut album, "Ever Since We Were Children", hit stores in the spring of 2011. In addition to producing his own work, Crahan has also worked as a producer for several bands, including GIZMACHI and DIRTFEDD, as well as serving as an executive producer to bands such as MUDVAYNE. Crahan has also remixed several songs for artists, including MARILYN MANSON, COHEED AND CAMBRIA, MINDLESS SELF INDULGENCE and SUICIDE SILENCE.
- Blabbermouth reports according to BBC News, IRON MAIDEN singer Bruce Dickinson has launched an aircraft maintenance business, Cardiff Aviation Ltd, which will be based at the Twin Peaks Hangar at St Athan, Vale of Glamorgan in Wales, United Kingdom. Dickinson, a qualified commercial pilot, and his company is leasing the 132,000 square-foot hangar from the Welsh government. Cardiff Aviation will maintain airliners and other large aircraft for major and independent airlines. It will also have facilities to complete the full range of ancillary aircraft maintenance and training activities and has the expertise and approvals to certify aircraft from many jurisdictions, including the USA. Commented Dickinson: "We're coming into this enterprise with the knowledge that we'll also be bringing business to south Wales. "South Wales has long had an association with the aircraft industry and I am delighted that I am able to have a small part in the continuation of that tradition." Read more at Loudwire
- Blabbermouth reprots California thrash metal veterans SLAYER have released the following "open letter" to their "fans around the world": "SLAYER fans everywhere — it's time to let you know what is going on with our brother Jeff Hanneman [guitar]. "As you know, Jeff was bitten by a spider more than a year ago, but what you may not have known was that for a couple of days after he went to the ER, things were touch-and-go. There was talk that he might have to have his arm amputated, and we didn't know if he was going to pull through at all. He was in a medically-induced coma for a few days and had several operations to remove the dead and dying tissue from his arm. So, understand, he was in really, really bad shape. It's been about a year since he got out of the hospital, and since then, he had to learn to walk again, he's had several painful skin grafts, he's been in rehab doing exercises to regain the strength in his arm; but best of all, he's been playing guitar. We were all excited when he joined us onstage for the encore a year ago at the 'Big Four' show at Coachella. Since then, we've given him all the time and support he's needed to continue his rehab so he can come back to the band fully recovered and able to deliver the kind of shows we all want him to. "While Jeff's been doing some writing and has been coming to rehearsal over the past several weeks, he has decided he needs to take more time to continue his rehab. While we want him back onstage with the band, all of us support his decision. So, we're very grateful that Gary Holt [EXODUS] will continue to fill in for Jeff, and will tour with us until Jeff completes his rehab and is ready to return. How long will that be? The best and most honest answer we can give you is 'as long as it takes.' We also wanted you to know that we've been doing some writing and recording for the next SLAYER album — we've tracked a few songs, and will finish the album when we're off the road later this year. Gary will join us on tour in Europe and the U.K. in May and June, and then we'll all see you on this summer's [Rockstar Energy Drink] Mayhem Festival." In a fall 2011 intervew with U.K.'s Classic Rock magazine, Hanneman said that was kicking back in a hot tub with a couple of beers when noticed a spider bite him on the arm. "Didn't even feel it," he said. "But an hour later, I knew that I was ill." On his way to the hospital, "I could see the flesh corrupting," he recalled. "The arm was real hot. I got to the emergency room, and thank god the nurse knew straight away what it was. By chance, although it's pretty rare, she had seen a case a little while before. At that point, I was an hour away from death." Although the spider bite itself was not serious, it had caused bacterial infection in the deeper layers of the skin and tissues of the arm. "Unbelivably, the doctor was a SLAYER fan," said Hanneman, "First thing he said to me was: 'First I am going to save your life. Then I am going to save your arm. Then I am going to save your career.'" Hanneman underwent emergency surgery to remove the dead and dying tissue. The doctor was able to save the muscles and the tendons, but the guitarist had a large open wound on his arm. He spent the next two months in hospital, having extensive skin grafts and heavy doses of antibiotics to suppress the infection. "I had to learn to walk again," Hanneman said: "I hadn't stood up for a month, apart from anything else. The skin grafts were very painful and all the muscles and tendons in the arm where very weak. That was OK, though. I count myself lucky that the nurse and doctor knew right away what had happened to me, because things could have been a whole lot worse." Read more at Loudwire, Classic Rock, Rolling Stone and Noisecreep
- Blabbermouth reports Dee Snider, the unmistakable front-man of the rock band TWISTED SISTER, filmed a video for the song "Mack The Knife", with his son, Cody Blue Snider, in the director's chair. Producing the clip was Robby Starbuck, who has previously worked with TIMES OF GRACE, AUGUST BURNS RED, SILVERSTEIN, A STATIC LULLABY and A SKYLIT DRIVE. "This was the first time we had the opportunity to work together strictly as a director and an artist," Cody Blue told Entertainment Weekly about working with his father. "That could have made this a tumultuous shoot, but my father and I have so much mutual respect for one another that it was anything but that. Working with Dee was the most joyous part of the production for me, and I'm sure we'll continue working together until I am changing his diapers in-between takes." Check out the "Mack The Knife" video at Entertainment Weekly. "Mack The Knife" comes off Dee's new studio album, "Dee Does Broadway", which will be released on May 8 via Razor & Tie. The CD features Dee's powerful voice and theatrical persona as he exudes his rock ' n' roll take on several Broadway classics. The new album will coincide with the release of his first-ever autobiography, "Shut Up And Give Me The Mic" (Gallery Books) on May 8. "Dee Does Broadway" features several special guest stars, including Broadway and television icon Bebe Neuwirth on the DAMN YANKEES song "Whatever Lola Wants", Broadway legend Patti LuPone on a "West Side Story" medley "Tonight/Somewhere", pop icon Cyndi Lauper on SWEET CHARITY's "Big Spender", Clay Aiken of "American Idol" on the GUYS AND DOLLS classic "Luck Be a Lady Tonight", the stars of the Broadway hit musical "Priscilla Queen Of The Desert" (Will Swenson, Tony Sheldon, and Nick Adams) on SOUTH PACIFIC's "There Is Nothin' Like A Dame", Mark Wood of the TRANS-SIBERIAN ORCHESTRA playing violin on the "Phantom Of The Opera" ballad "Music Of The Night", as well a special rendition of "The Joint Is Jumpin" from "Ain't Misbehavin'" with Dee's oldest son, Jesse "Blaze" Snider. Songs are also featured from classic Broadway shows including "Cabaret", "Chicago", "The Threepenny Opera", "Anything Goes" and "Sweeney Todd". "Dee Does Broadway" was spawned from a number of voicemails exchanged featuring "Broadway tunes" sung as messages between Dee Snider and Alice Cooper in 2009 and Dee's 2010 Broadway run in the Broadway rock musical "Rock Of Ages". Inspired to take this musical journey, the classically trained countertenor (who sang with his high school choir and always loud as hell) Snider enlisted producers Bob Kulick and Brett Chassen (whom Dee worked with on the metalized Frank Sinatra tribute called "Sin-atra"). The album was mixed by the legendary Ric Wake and Gustavo Celis, and features the incredible orchestrations and playing by the renowned composer/arranger Doug Katsaros and the bass guitar playing of one of rock's prolific players, the legendary Rudy Sarzo. Dee Snider explains the process: "Over the past year, I have worked closely with my team and collaborators picking from decades of musical hits with only two rules: The song had to speak to me as a singer on some level, and it could not be a rock song to begin with. No 'Jesus Christ Superstar', 'Grease', 'Hair', 'Rent', 'Rocky Horror', etc. What would be the challenge in that?" He continues, "There are many who think doing an album of rocked out show tunes is pure insanity on my part. Apparently, they haven't seen any photos of me from the '70s and '80s. Could I have been in a more theatrical band? Ever since I was a kid, I'd heard the real power inherent in a lot of songs from musicals and this record gives me the chance to show it".
- Blabbermouth reports California metallers DEVILDRIVER have been forced to cancel their previously announced Australian tour with SIX FEET UNDER and DARKEST HOUR. Commented DEVILDRIVER frontman Dez Fafara: "I've NEVER cancelled a tour before. EVER..."I have pneumonia and I'm restricted from flying for at least two weeks. So, unfortunately, we have to cancel our Australian tour. "I respectfully apologize to all our Australian fans, SIX FEET UNDER; DARKEST HOUR and the folks at Soundwave Touring, who worked so hard to put this tour together. "Thank you for your support. We'll make it up to you on the next tour." Ticket holders can go back to the point of purchase for a refund. The DEVILDRIVER-headlined Metal Alliance Tour — which also featured THE FACELESS, DYING FETUS, JOB FOR A COWBOY, 3 INCHES OF BLOOD, IMPENDING DOOM and WRETCHED — kicked off on March 15 at the South By Southwest festival in Austin, Texas and concluded on April 21 in Houston, Texas. When asked about the progress of the songwriting sessions for DEVILDRIVER's sixth album, Fafara told Peek From The Pit in a March 2012 interview, "We used to put a record every two years. I don't think it's gonna be [like that this time]. We are free agents right now, which means we're [no longer signed to Roadrunner Records and we're] talking to many record companies. It's gonna be a very critical record for us, when it does come out, and we're gonna take time to write it. I actually heard one track the other night that is incredible. We all started writing vocals to it right when we were sitting in the back [of the bus], so if it's gonna stay on that route, I think it's gonna be an incredible record." As previously reported, DEVILDRIVER bassist Aaron "Bubble" Patrick sat out the Metal Alliance Tour after being diagnosed with Streptococcus pneumonia, an inflammation and swelling of the lung, caused by an infection with the bacteria. Filling in for Patrick was his former BURY YOUR DEAD bandmate Chris Towning. Patrick joined DEVILDRIVER as the replacement for Jonathan Miller, who quit the band in March 2011, calling it "the most difficult decision of my life" but "something that I needed to do for myself."
- Blabbermouth reports finally on the map with their scorching first album for A&M ("Earthshaker" was their third overall), California rockers Y&T were ready to strike with their classic fourth record, 1982's "Black Tiger". Thirty years on, a new app for iPad and iPhone tells the story of how "Black Tiger" was made — in singer and lead guitarist Dave Meniketti's own words. The app, which is available now in the iTunes store, includes extensive audio of Meniketti describing how "Black Tiger" was recorded (at Ridge Farm studio in England) — including his comments on the album's tracks and on touring with AC/DC in 1982. The app has lots of images from 1982 — including photos of the "Black Tiger" recording sessions from Meniketti's personal collection. The app's author is Canadian rock and metal writer Martin Popoff, who draws on three recorded interviews he did with Meniketti. Popoff also penned a new review of "Black Tiger" for the app, and an essay in which he argues that Y&T was a kick-ass NWOBHM band who, through no fault of its own, happened to be from San Francisco.
- Blabbermouth reports in advance of Friday's premiere of this year's highly anticipated movie "Marvel's The Avengers", Austin, Texas metal luminaries THE SWORD have announced the release of "Hammer Of Heaven", an early track dating back to 2003 that was not included on "Age Of Winters", which the band submitted for inclusion on "Avengers Assemble", a 14-track compilation of music from and inspired by the film. Due to severe space limitations, the song did not make the final track listing, but the band, along with their new label partners at Razor & Tie have decided to make "Hammer Of Heaven" available digitally to coincide with the release of the film. Click here to download the song on iTunes. After releasing three critically acclaimed albums on Kemado Records, the Austin, Texas-based quartet featuring guitarist/vocalist J.D. Cronise, guitarist Kyle Shutt, bassist Bryan Richie, and new drummer Santiago "Jimmy" Vela III will commence recording its fourth album on June 24 with a projected release date of fall 2012. The new CD will be supported by extensive global touring that will stretch well into 2013. THE SWORD's third album, "Warp Riders", sold around 8,900 copies in the United States in its first week of release to debut at position No. 47 on The Billboard 200 chart. "Warp Riders" marked the first release where the group has worked with an outside producer. Helmed by Matt Bayles (PEARL JAM, MASTODON, ISIS), the album was anchored by an epic science-fiction narrative. The storyline was a psychedelic space opera that explored temporal themes of death and rebirth. "Warp Riders" also found THE SWORD expanding its range from pure metal to include bone-crunching hard rock at large.
- Blabbermouth posts the second in a four-part video series — a journey through SOULFLY's eight-album discography with the band's mainman, Max Cavalera — can be seen below. In the second clip, he tells stories from the making of 2002's "3" and 2004's "Prophecy". SOULFLY's eighth album, "Enslaved", sold 5,900 copies in the United States in its first week of release to debut at position No. 82 on The Billboard 200 chart. The band's previous CD, "Omen", opened with 6,000 units in June 2010 to land at No. 73. SOULFLY's 2008 album, "Conquer", premiered with 8,400 copies to enter the chart at No. 66. This number was in line with the opening tally of the CD's predecessor, "Dark Ages", which shifted a little more than 8,000 copies during its first week of release in October 2005 to debut at No. 155. "Enslaved" was released on March 13 via Roadrunner Records. The CD was recorded at TallCat Studios in Phoenix, Arizona and was produced by Chris "Zeuss" Harris, the seasoned knob twiddler behind some of the most notable bands in metal today, such as SHADOWS FALL, HATEBREED, THE RED CHORD and more. SOULFLY's current lineup features Kinkade, Max and guitar dynamo Marc Rizzo, with STATIC-X's Tony Campos taking up the bass.
- Blabbermouth reports ATTIKA 7 (formerly ATTIKA) — the Los Angeles-based heavy metal/hard rock band featuring Tony Campos (SOULFLY, POSSESSED, STATIC-X, ASESINO, MINISTRY) on bass; Evan Seinfeld (BIOHAZARD) on vocals; and songwriter and famed motorcycle builder Rusty Coones on guitar — will release its debut album, "Blood Of My Enemies", on July 31 via THC: Music/Rocket Science Ventures. The CD was recorded with producer Mudrock (AVENGED SEVENFOLD, GODSMACK). Commented Seinfeld: "As I embarked on my journey of musical and personal reinvention, the first step was to put together a band of incredible players, with diverse styles and a unified vision to write, record and perform timeless heavy metal, backed by an authentic outlaw lifestyle. "After 10 albums and probably around 4000 concerts with BIOHAZARD in over 90 countries, all I can say is that the only thing constant in life is change, and without it, things can become stagnant and repetitious. The creative situation for me playing with Rusty and Tony in ATTIKA fosters my genuine creativity to flow, and allowed us to build something heavy, authentic, new and exciting from the ground up; more than music, but real camaraderie." The ATTIKA7 sound "boasts very heavy, down-tuned and melodic harmonies, all the while boasting brutal hooks and grooves," according to a press release. "The band draws from several musical influences, including their own additional projects, and has been compared to the likes of BLACK SABBATH, METALLICA, GODSMACK, PANTERA, and WHITE ZOMBIE. The timeless no-frills songwriting of ATTIKA 7 is set apart from today's homogenized, derivative copycat bands by so many things, but above all: authenticity." The majority of the ATTIKA7 album was written by lifetime biker and ATTIKA 7 lead guitarist Rusty Coones while serving a seven-year federal prison sentence for a false conviction. Rather than rat on his friends, Rusty used the tension to teach himself how to play guitar in solitary confinement. The passion and street credibility in his lyrics and riffs speak to the underdogs of the world who will not break, will not bend, but stand against forever. When Rusty called best friend and riding buddy Evan Seinfeld to check in on whether he knew of a singer who could join his band, Evan immediately jumped in without hesitation. Since then, Rusty and Evan have been writing, recording, living and breathing ATTIKA 7 and haven't looked back.
- Blabbermouth posts Chicago heavy rockers SOIL will release their first-ever DVD, entitled "Re-LIVE-Ing The Scars", on May 8 via Bieler Bros. Records. The two-disc set, which was recorded live on October 14, 2011 at Electric Ballroom in London, England, will contain an audio CD version of the same concert. Also included is over one hour of backstage and behind-the-scenes bonus footage and photos. SOIL's current lineup consists of founding members Ryan McCombs (vocals; ex-DROWNING POOL), Tim King (bass) and Adam Zadel (guitar) alongside former STAIND drummer Jon Wysocki.
"Re-LIVE-Ing The Scars" track listing:
01. Breaking Me Down
02. Need To Feel
03. My Own
05. Cross My Heart
07. The One
08. Wide Open
09. Black 7
The "Halo" performance clip, taken from the "Re-LIVE-Ing The Scars" DVD, can be seen below. The 10th-anniversary edition of SOIL's breakthrough album "Scars" — featuring the hits "Halo" and "Unreal" — was made available digitally on October 10 through Sony Music. The release features the rare B-side "Center" and the previously unreleased track "Damaged You" from the "Scars" recording sessions.
- Blabbermouth reports PHILM — the Los Angeles-based experimental post-hardcore triumvirate featuring drummer Dave Lombardo (SLAYER), guitarist/vocalist Gerry Nestler (CIVIL DEFIANCE), and bassist Pancho Tomaselli (WAR) — will give a free webcast performance on May 16 at 7 p.m. Pacific/10 p.m. Eastern, recorded at Bob Weir's TRI Studios and streamed directly via TriStudios.com and Yahoo! Music. Viewers of the webcast can tweet along with the audience on Twitter by using #PHILMLive. PHILM will release its debut album, "Harmonic", on May 15 via Ipecac Recordings. The song "Area" is now available for streaming using the <>SoundCloud player below (courtesy of Terrorizer magazine). "When people hear about my involvement in PHILM, they automatically assume that it will compare to SLAYER's sound," explains Lombardo. "They couldn't be more different. I have scaled down my drum set to a four-piece, reminiscent of the drummers from the late '60s that influenced me. Each song is unique in itself, I like to refer to it as 'rhythmic emotion.' It's almost like taking all the heavy songs of the '60s and bringing that era to a modern plateau, then blending them with the modern trance and psychedelic sounds of today."
- Blabbermouth posts The official lyric video for the song "18 Days" from Florida death metal veterans SIX FEET UNDER can be seen below (courtesy of Bloody Disgusting). The apocalyptic hymn comes off the band's forthcoming studio effort, "Undead", set for North American release on May 22 through Metal Blade Records. The 12-track CD was produced by Mark Lewis (DEICIDE, DEVILDRIVER) and mixed by Jason Suecof (WHITECHAPEL, JOB FOR A COWBOY), at AudioHammer Studios in Sanford, Florida. Notorious for his elegiac themes of murder, death and the supernatural, on "Undead" vocalist and lyrical mastermind Chris Barnes revisits topics that will be familiar to fans of the band, though as always he brings something new to the table, aware that their followers will not accept recycled ideas. Barnes notes, "The hypocrisies of daily life, things that affect us that spawn aggression, loneliness, sadness, there's a lot of emotions going on across the record, and I guess that the dark horror that humans cause is my niche." However, while Barnes has a very clear vision for his craft, he is always excited by the interpretations of his songs by those who listen to them, feeding on the emotional investment they put in. "I love it, when people tell me what they've got from the music and the lyrics. It's like being an artist, you put the painting up on the wall — you know what it is, but sometimes it's a little abstract and someone sees something else in it, and that's the biggest compliment to me. That I'm able to get inside someone's head and they actually give thought to something presented to them is inspiring to me too, and something I always want to be able to do with this band." Led by the inimitable Barnes, possessor of one of the most dominant and instantly recognizable voices of the death metal genre, "Undead" offers up an overhauled lineup. Now featuring Barnes alongside new guitarist Rob Arnold (ex-CHIMAIRA), longtime guitarist Steve Swanson, new bassist Jeff Hughell, and drummer Kevin Talley, whose history blasting for DYING FETUS, MISERY INDEX, and CHIMAIRA speaks for itself, SIX FEET UNDER 2012 finds the band reinvigorated and churning out some of the most visceral, in-your-face, and downright horrifying tunes in their renowned discography of brutality both, lyrically and musically.
"18 Days" lyric video:
- Blabbermouth posts French death metallers TREPALIUM have posted their cover version of PANTERA's classic "I'm Broken" via YouTube. The track is featured on the band's highly anticipated new album, "H.N.P.", which is set for release on June 8 through Klonosphere/Season Of Mist. The follow-up to 2009's critically acclaimed "XIII", "H.N.P." was recorded, mixed and mastered at Thibault Chaumont's Deviant Lab studio, and is described in a press release as "a bellowing, vibrant explosion of crushing but groovy riffs, which is calibrated for maximum impact."
- Blabbermouth posts "Repossession", the new video from the Virginia crossover thrash metal band MUNICIPAL WASTE, can be seen below. The clip was directed by David Brodsky of MyGoodEye, who has previously worked with THE BLACK DAHLIA MURDER, GOATWHORE, HELLYEAH and SUFFOCATION, among many others. Commented MUNICIPAL WASTE vocalist Tony Foresta: "We've been wanting to play in a junkyard for a really long time and felt the video for 'Repossession' was the perfect oportunity. This video is kind of sad for us, though, because we we say goodbye to our old tour van Pablo in it. We thought to have it imortalized in our video would be a cool way to see it go. RIP, Pablo!" "Repossession" comes off MUNICIPAL WASTE's fifth album, "The Fatal Feast", which sold around 2,700 copies in the United States in its first week of release. The CD landed at No. 3 on the Top New Artist Albums (Heatseekers) chart, which lists the best-selling albums by new and developing artists, defined as those who have never appeared in the Top 100 of The Billboard 200. The band's previous effort, "Massive Aggressive", opened with around 2,100 copies back in September 2009 to debut at No. 10 on the Heatseekers chart. "The Fatal Feast" was released on April 10 in North America and April 13 in Europe via Nuclear Blast Records. The cover artwork for the CD was created by Justin Osbourn of Slasher Design.
- Blabbermouth posts "Silver Candy", the new video from transgender singer Mina Caputo — once known as Keith Caputo, the front-person for the popular rock band LIFE OF AGONY — can be seen below. The clip was directed/produced by Dan Quigley, also known as Dan Beast. This simple, "sober" take on such a gorgeous song from Caputo's 2008 record, "A Fondness for Hometown Scars", was filmed in glorious 1080p HD quality in less than a day. These two lifelong friends used this filming as a creative experiment, if you will, to jump-start Dan in his future filming/directing endeavors. In an October 2011 interview with Advocate.com, Mina stated about how becoming a "rock star" delayed her transition, "I was very boxed in that metal thing," she said. "The first album I've ever done was released and then it pretty much exploded in Europe and I kind of had no choice but to leave school. I didn't want to sing in a band. That wasn't really what I set out to do. I wanted to go to Julliard. I wanted to play the classics, get good grades… and I pictured myself living more of a feminine life then at 19 when this whole alpha male world just pretty much took over. I was in hell for years. . . It was more of a sense of responsibility and not getting labels down… the management, the band, and the fans. And I mean, we were a really, really really, really big band. We were doing concerts in Europe where 60 to 100 thousand people were showing up."
"Silver Candy" video:
- Blabbermouth posts"Kill That Bitch", the new video from Washington D.C.-based female-fronted heavy metallers A SOUND OF THUNDER, can be seen below, The song comes off the band's second full-length album, "Out Of The Darkness", which was released on March 27 via Nightmare Records. The follow-up to last year's "Metal Renaissance" was produced by Kevin "131" Gutierrez (SHINEDOWN, WHILE HEAVEN WEPT, DECEASED) at Assembly Line Studios in Virginia. According to a press release, "the 10-track album plays like a love letter to all that is metal, encompassing traditional heavy metal, modern power metal, prog and classic rock, with timeless songs that could have been written in 1971, 1991 or 2011." The material on "Out Of The Darkness" was composed by Josh Schwartz and the rest of A SOUND OF THUNDER, with lyrics written by Nina Osegueda and Chris Haren. Legendary RAVEN frontman John Gallagher makes an appearance on the album, performing a duet with Nina on the CD's title track. "John Gallagher was so awesome to work with," says Nina. "I learned a lot from him in the short time we were in the studio together, and I really respect his skills and experience which shine through on this track."
For more information, visit www.asoundofthunderband.com.
- Classic Rock reports Deep Purple guitrist Steve Morse admits they won’t keep going forever.
- Classic Rock reports Sex Pistols and PiL frontman John Lydon insists Slits singer and stepdaughter Ari Up could have avoided death but chose not to and the knowledge is “tough burden” on her family.
- Classic Rock reports guitarist Wolf Hoffmann is happy bigger names look up to him but he’d trade it to be in their income bracket.
- Noisecreep reports illustrator Jason Edmiston creates 'Monsters of Rock' series featuring Axl Rose and others
- Check out the best "metal cover band" Metallica at Noisecreep
- Loudwire posts a review of Rammstein in Massachusetts
- Loudwire posts set times for 'Rock On The Range 2012"
- Loudwire posts Coheed and Cambria cover Gotye's song ‘Somebody That I Used to Know’ Read more at Noisecreep
- Loudwire reports Pearl Jam may be channeling Motorhead on their next release.
- Read a review of Sepultura and Death Angel in New York City at Loudwire
- Blabbermouth posts inteviews with DEF LEPPARD, MARK EVANS, ANTHRAX, HELLYEAH, GREAT WHITE, KITTIE, KILLSWITCH ENGAGE, MASTODON, ORGY, SEPULTURA, HATEBREED, SOULFLY, PARADISE LOST, DELAIN, RUNNING WILD, ALL SHALL PERISH, CANNIBAL CORPSE and HATERIOT
Read more quick bits at Classic Rock and Noisecreep
Return to previous page
Send to a friend
MTV's Daily Video
Century Media ..
Metal Blade Re..