The lineup for Lollapalooza 2012 was officially revealed at midnight on Wednesday morning (April 11th), with Black Sabbath, the Red Hot Chili Peppers, the Black Keys and Jack White confirmed as headliners. The lineup of more than 120 acts will also include Florence And The Machine, Fun., The Shins, M83, Franz Ferdinand, Metric, The Temper Trap, At The Drive-Inand many more also part of the festival, which takes place on August 3rd, 4th and 5th at Grant Park in downtown Chicago.
- The announcement confirms the lineup that was leaked one day earlier.
- Black Sabbath was supposed to tour the U.S. this year as part of a worldwide trek in support of a new album, but guitarist Tony Iommi's cancer diagnosis put those plans on hold. The band was also rumored at one point to headline Coachella, but Lollapalooza will be their only U.S. show of 2012.
- It is not clear yet whether Black Sabbath will feature all four original members at this show. Drummer Bill Ward has been sitting out the band's recording sessions over a contract dispute.
- Lollapalooza co-founder and Jane's Addiction frontman Perry Farrell told Rolling Stone about Sabbath's inclusion on the bill, "They mean so much to me, and they mean so much to music in general, that I kind of feel like I'm dreaming to know that Black Sabbath is actually gonna perform at Lollapalooza."
- It was the decision by Lollapalooza organizers 15 years ago to deny Ozzy a spot on the bill that led him and Sharon to launch Ozzfest.
- The Black Keys are also headlining California's Coachella Festival for the next two weekends. Although they played Lollapalooza in 2010, this is their first time as a headliner.
- The Red Hot Chili Peppers last headlined the festival in 2006.
LISTENERS' POLL: What do you think of the Lollapalooza lineup?
INTERNET COMMENTS at Brooklyn Vegan, Stereogum, others -- agree or not?
the brown bunny wrote: "Is it me or is there a big discordance with the headliners and the rest of the festival?"
Anonymous wrote: "are the Black Keys legally obligated to appear at every festival?"
Jared wrote: "great lineup but knowing lolla all these bands will be overlapping. lolla is for midwestern bros to have a good time and get wasted. their format/scheduling clearly has no interest in providing a great festival going experience."
readycheckmate wrote: "make fun of me but i severely teared up while looking at this lineup b/c i can't go ugh ugh ugh."
DJ wrote: "Black Sabbath my ass if all four members aren't involved."
Read more at Blabbermouth, Loudwire, Ultimate Classic Rock, Rolling Stone, Spinner and Classic Rock
Vote in the readers polll at Loudwire