Aerosmith has announced the dates for its 2012 Global Warming North American Tour, which will kick off on June 16th at the Target Center in Minneapolis and wrap up on August 8th in Tacoma, Washington. More dates could be added in the weeks ahead. The opening act on all dates will be veteran rockers Cheap Trick. This will be Aerosmith's first run through the U.S. since the summer of 2010 and comes just as the band is preparing to release its first album of all-new material in 11 years.
- Frontman Steven Tyler said in a statement, "The old Aerosmith is back with a new vengeance and we will kick your ass and make out with your mothers."
- Bassist Tom Hamilton added, "After touring Japan and South America last year we're psyched about bringing it all back for the hometown fans. We're going to break out the classics, the hits and maybe even some of the new ones we've been banging out in the studio."
- Aerosmith has been working since last year on a new album with producer Jack Douglas, with a tentative May release in the cards.
- The band has been working around Tyler's schedule as a judge on American Idol. Although they were not happy about him taking the gig at first, it seems that things have cooled down: guitarist Joe Perry made a surprise appearance on the program last week to perform "Happy Birthday" for Tyler, who turned 64.
- Newly confirmed Aerosmith tour dates (subject to change):
June 16 - Minneapolis, MN - Target Center
June 19 - Cleveland, OH - Quicken Loans Arena
June 22 - Chicago, IL - United Center
June 27 - Toronto, ON - Air Canada Centre
July 1 - Uniondale, NY - Nassau Coliseum
July 3 - Bristow, VA - Jiffy Lube
July 5 - Detroit, MI - The Palace of Auburn Hills
July 7 - Milwaukee, WI - Marcus Amphitheater, Summerfest
July 17 - Boston, MA - TD Garden
July 21 - Philadelphia, PA - Wells Fargo Center
July 24 - East Rutherford, NJ - IZOD Center
July 26 - Atlanta, GA - Philips Arena
July 28 - Dallas, TX - American Airlines Center
July 30 - Houston, TX - Toyota Center
August 1 - Denver, CO - Pepsi Center
August 4 - Oakland, CA - Oracle Arena
August 6 - Los Angeles, CA - Hollywood Bowl
August 8 - Tacoma, WA - Tacoma Dome
WHAT DO YOU THINK??
- Any chance you'll go see Aerosmith this summer?
- Do you want them to play some new songs? Should they stick to the same old hits, or shake up the set list and throw in some rarities?
- Steven Tyler is 64 years old. Can he still bring it onstage?
INTERNET COMMENTS at Rolling Stone -- agree or not?
Archie Drummer wrote: "Steven Tyler wants to make out with my 70 year old Mom? Really?"
Sue Ellen Pernett wrote: "I think it's a terrible name for the tour."
Jeff Stein wrote: "Joe and Tom looked quite...not sober on 60 Minutes. Normally I'd be human and say I hope they get better but considering the price of admission I'll just say it better not mess up the show!"
Derek Simon wrote: "Well, Steven Tyler is threatening to 'kick our asses' and 'make out with our mothers' in the press release about their upcoming tour. I think that's totally appropriate. He's roughly my mother's age..."
Read more at Blabbermouth, Ultimate Classic Rock, Rolling Stone, Classic Rock and Noisecreep