Subscribe to channel
- Blabbermouth posts AEROSMITH singer and "American Idol" judge was interviewed on last night's (Monday, February 27) episode of ABC-TV's "Jimmy Kimmel Live!" (which actually aired the morning of Tuesday, February 28). You can now watch video footage of his appearance in three parts below. AEROSMITH began work on its first all-new album since 2001 last year, with the rest of the band working on music while Tyler made his "American Idol" debut. The band has been working with producer Jack Douglas, who collaborated with them on classic early albums like "Toys In The Attic" and "Rocks". Tyler said at a recent press conference that sales of AEROSMITH's back catalog were up 260 percent since he began appearing on "Idol". The 11th season of the series began with its two-night premiere on Wednesday, January 18. As previously reported, Tyler will take part in the Rock 'N' Roll Fantasy Camp May 2-6 at the world-famous Playboy Mansion in Holmby Hills, California. Read more at Ultimate Classic Rock
- Blabbermouth posts the fifth in a series of webisodes featuring behind-the-scenes footage from the making of "Apocalyptic Love", the second solo album from the iconic, Grammy-winning rock guitarist and songwriter Slash, can be seen below. Due out May 22 on Slash's own label Dik Hayd International distributed through EMI, the disc will follow his 2010 debut album, "Slash", and his November 2011 first-ever live solo album, the two-CD/DVD set "Made In Stoke 24/7/11". Notably, the "Slash" album debuted on The Billboard 200 chart at #3 (#1 on the Rock chart, #1 on the Independent chart, and #1 on the Hard Music chart). Digitally, the album also became the #1 overall digital album and hit #1 on iTunes in 13 countries. Internationally, the disc achieved Top 5 chart positions in over a dozen major territories, hitting #1 in both Japan and New Zealand. In the U.K., the album will be released on May 21 in exclusive Classic Rock Fan Pack form — providing a unique collectable package containing the studio album with bonus tracks alongside a specially created magazine with unseen behind-the-scenes content put together by Classic Rock. The Fan Pack format will also come with free gifts, including a pin badge and artwork poster and will be available to buy via more than 2000 retail outlets on newsstands nationally as well as the traditional high street and online music retailers. Roadrunner Records will simultaneously release the record digitally. The standard physical release of the Slash album will follow through Roadrunner Records on June 18. For the new album, Slash — along with and his bandmates Myles Kennedy (vocals), Brent Fitz (drums) and Todd Kerns (bass) — teamed with producer Eric Valentine, who also produced the "Slash" disc. All the songs were written together by Slash and Kennedy, and cameras have been rolling throughout the entire making of the album. Read more at Ultimate Classic Rock
Studio webisode #5:
- Blabbermouth posts heavy music presenter Christina Rowatt of Soundwave TV conducted an interview with the iconic, Grammy-winning rock guitarist and songwriter Slash after his surprise guest appearance with ALTER BRIDGE on the song "Rise Today" this past Sunday night (February 26) at the Soundwave Festival in Sydney, Australia. You can now watch the chat below. ALTER BRIDGE singer Myles Kennedy has served as Slash's touring vocalist for the past couple of years, and has contributed vocals and songwriting to all of the guitarist's forthcoming second solo album, "Apocalyptic Love", which will be released on May 22 via Slash's own label Dik Hayd International distributed through EMI. To reflect Myles' increased contributions to the new CD, "Apocalyptic Love" is being made available under the name "Slash featuring Myles Kennedy and the CONSPIRATORS." The disc will follow Slash's 2010 debut album, "Slash", and his November 2011 first-ever live solo album, the two-CD/DVD set "Made In Stoke 24/7/11". Notably, the "Slash" album debuted on The Billboard 200 chart at #3 (#1 on the Rock chart, #1 on the Independent chart, and #1 on the Hard Music chart). Digitally, the album also became the #1 overall digital album and hit #1 on iTunes in 13 countries. Internationally, the disc achieved Top 5 chart positions in over a dozen major territories, hitting #1 in both Japan and New Zealand. In the U.K., "Apocalyptic Love" will be released on May 21 in exclusive Classic Rock Fan Pack form — providing a unique collectable package containing the studio album with bonus tracks alongside a specially created magazine with unseen behind-the-scenes content put together by Classic Rock. The Fan Pack format will also come with free gifts, including a pin badge and artwork poster and will be available to buy via more than 2000 retail outlets on newsstands nationally as well as the traditional high street and online music retailers. Roadrunner Records will simultaneously release the record digitally. The standard physical release of the Slash album will follow through Roadrunner Records on June 18. For the new album, Slash — along with and his bandmates Myles Kennedy (vocals), Brent Fitz (drums) and Todd Kerns (bass) — teamed with producer Eric Valentine, who also produced the "Slash" disc. All the songs were written together by Slash and Kennedy, and cameras have been rolling throughout the entire making of the album.
- Blabbermouth posts Valerie Bastien of RockSource360.com recently conducted an interview with former AC/DC bassist Mark Evans about Mark's new book, "Dirty Deeds: My Life Inside/Outside AC/DC". You can now listen to the chat using the audio player below.
Evans, author of the new book "Dirty Deeds: My Life Inside/Outside Of AC/DC" (Bazillion Points Books), joined AC/DC in 1975 and remained with them through their barroom days, their first international tours, and the majority of the Bon Scott-era albums: "High Voltage", "Dirty Deeds Done Dirty Cheap", "T.N.T.", "Let There Be Rock", and the U.S.-only '74 "Jailbreak" collection-recordings that have since sold in excess of 10 million copies in the U.S. alone. At nineteen years old in 1975, Evans joined AC/DC, one of the hardest-working and loudest barroom bands in Australia. His memoir, "Dirty Deeds: My Life Inside/Outside Of AC/DC", dubbed "a rare 'been there, done that' perspective of touring with the group" by Library Journal, is a rich bounty of insight into the struggles and camaraderie that fueled hard rock's most successful group. Evans's likeable stories capture the energy and essence of Malcolm Young, Angus Young, Phil Rudd, and the late Bon Scott. Encounters with rock and roll icons like George Harrison, Gene Simmons, Phil Lynott, BLACK SABBATH, Ahmet Ertegun and METALLICA also feature. "Dirty Deeds: My Life Inside/Outside AC/DC" is now available for order at www.dirtydeedsbook.com.
- Blabbermouth reports tune in to Liquid Metal on SiriusXM channel 40 on Thursday, March 1 at 5:00 p.m. ET / 2:00 p.m. PT for an exclusive interview with METALLICA frontman James Hetfield. James will talk to Liquid Metal host Jose Mangin about METALLICA's 30th-anniversary celebrations, the Orion Music + More festival, progress on the follow-up to "Death Magnetic", and more. In addition, the entire hour's playlist was handpicked by James himself. METALLICA's next major project is its Orion Music + More festival, a band-curated two-day event which will take place in late June in Atlantic City and feature over 20 bands as well as lifestyle attractions and other entertainment. When METALLICA recently confirmed reports that it was working on a 3D movie, the band was vague about what exactly the project would entail or when it come out. The Pulse Of Radio asked drummer Lars Ulrich for more info and he said that film production is new territory for the group which they're taking very slowly. "It's been an idea that's been kind of circling in everybody's heads for about the last two years," he said. "Getting your own 3D movie off the ground is easier said than done, but we're doing our best and we have a window for that later in the year that we're hoping to still make happen. We just want to make sure that we don't throw ourselves out into something that gets so completely overwhelming that the whole thing just blows up in our face." Ulrich added that the band hopes to get the movie onto screens in late 2013. Entertainment industry web site Deadline first broke the news in October that METALLICA was looking to self-finance its own 3D feature film, and had hired Hollywood producer Charlotte Huggins to develop the project for them. Ulrich did hint to Rolling Stone a few months back what the film might be like, saying, "Imagine if you took [LED ZEPPELIN's concert film] 'The Song Remains The Same', which is 75 percent concert, 25 percent other stuff, and flipped it around. And all the non-concert footage, instead of being about the band members, is a story that unfolds, set against the backdrop of the concert." METALLICA's four-song EP called "Beyond Magnetic", which was made available digitally last month, was released as a physical CD on January 31 (one day earlier internationally). The effort consists of the quartet of previously unheard tracks that the band unveiled in concert in December during its 30th-anniversary celebration. All four tunes — "Hate Train", "Just A Bullet Away", "Hell And Back" and "Rebel Of Babylon" — were recorded during the sessions for the band's 2008 "Death Magnetic" album but left off the final track list.
- Blabbermoth reports on April 8, Akashic Books will publish "Letters To Kurt" by Eric Erlandson, guitarist, songwriter, and co-founder of the band HOLE. Written as an elegy for his friend, late NIRVANA frontman Kurt Cobain, the book takes the form of 52 letters, and is an anguished, angry, and bleeding-heart meditation on rock 'n' roll, sex, suicide, and the questions that follow. "It just wasn't feeling right to write a memoir-style book, and this one just came out of me a couple years ago," Erlandson said in an interview with The New York Times. "It felt like the right way to go, but at the same time, I had a lot of hesitation. At some point, it just started to click, and I started to honor it." "I see these letters as songs; a fifty-two-card pick-up," said Erlandson, who studied writing in the years following HOLE and found inspiration in the work of Jim Harrison, Patti Smith, and Charles Bukowski. "In no way do I intend to glorify or romanticize Kurt's chosen way out, nor make light of it . . . I thought if I could sort out my struggles and disappointments, face my demons, maybe I would be in a position to help others." Erlandson has major book events scheduled in Los Angeles, New York City, and San Francisco, with more to follow. Erlandson was born and raised in San Pedro, California. He is best known as co-founder, songwriter, and lead guitarist of the alternative rock band HOLE, which he formed with Courtney Love. Their albums "Pretty on the Inside", "Live Through This" and "Celebrity Skin" achieved international recognition and success. "Live Through This" was named one of the top 100 albums of all time by Time magazine. Since the breakup of the band in 2002, Erlandson has been involved in a number of musical and literary projects. He has a BS in Economics from Loyola Marymount University and practices Nichiren Shoshu Buddhism. He currently lives in Los Angeles. For more information, go to this location. Read more at Loudwire
- Blabbermouth reports while the pop music world is still reeling from the loss of Whitney Houston, Ranker.com has released a list of artists who have been deemed "gone too soon" by Ranker.com's users. These artists are ranked not only by how great their music was at the time of their death, but what their future might have meant to the world of music. Having garnered thousands of votes and views by the site's devotees, this list is considered to be the definitive word on the greatest rock stars who died prematurely. According to Ranker.com, the most significant loss to the music industry was Jimi Hendrix, followed by John Lennon and Jim Morrison. Rounding out the top five are Janis Joplin and Kurt Cobain. The 46 artists on this list also included such legends as Freddie Mercury, Buddy Holly and Jerry Garcia, and ended with perhaps the less likely inclusion of Harry Nilsson. In addition, 15 other lists have been created by voters to represent a wide variety of opinions. The full list of "Rock Stars Whose Deaths Were The Most Untimely" may be viewed on Ranker.com. Ranker.com publishes lists created and ranked by its visitors that are data driven by popular opinion. Available on Ranker.com are lists on any topic imaginable, including everything from the best films of all time or the best vehicles for teenage drivers, to less serious fare like "Simpsons" jokes that actually came true. Truly something for everyone.
- Blabbermouth posts Russell Eldridge of Target Audience Magazine recently conducted an interview with ANTHRAX guitarist Rob Caggiano. You can now watch the chat in two parts below. ANTHRAX's video for the song "The Devil You Know" contains clips of all the band highlights of last year. "The Devil You Know" comes off ANTHRAX's latest album, "Worship Music", which sold 28,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release to land at position No. 12 on The Billboard 200 chart. The band's previous studio CD, 2003's "We've Come For You All", opened with just under 10,000 units to debut at No. 122. The CD cover artwork for "Worship Music" was handled by renowned comic book artist Alex Ross, who has worked with Marvel Comics and DC Comics and is known for his "Marvels", "Kingdom Come", and "Astro City" illustrations. Ross also did the original artwork for ANTHRAX's "We've Come For You All" and "Music Of Mass Destruction" albums. "Worship Music" was produced by ANTHRAX, Rob Caggiano and Jay Ruston and recorded over a four-year period at studios in New York, Los Angeles and Chicago. Singer Joey Belladonna's return to the band prompted some of the songs originally recorded with previous singer Dan Nelson to be re-crafted with fresh lyrics or tweaked to better suit his overall vibe and energy. Some of the songs were completely replaced with brand-new songs and, of course, all have Belladonna's inimitable vocal stamp on them. ANTHRAX recently completed the second leg of its U.S. tour with TESTAMENT and DEATH ANGEL.
- Blabbermouth reports Jerry Gaskill, drummer for legendary rockers KING'S X, suffered a heart attack Sunday, February 26, and was rushed to the hospital. After undergoing an emergency operation, Jerry was placed in intensive care (where he currently remains). According to a posting on KING'S X's official Facebook page, "[Jerry] has been on a ventilator since [he suffered the heart attack]. However, there are some positive signs concerning his recovery." In light of Jerry's sudden hospitalization, all previously announced North American tour dates for KING'S X have been cancelled. Jerry will be taking the time to recover back to full health so that he can hopefully join the band behind the drums at some point in the future. KING'S X was scheduled to launch a three-week tour on March 28 in Austin. Gaskill and Doug Pinnick have been playing together since 1979, when they met in Springfield, Missouri. KING'S X is celebrating the 20th anniversary of its self-titled Atlantic debut this year. KING'S X's 2008 album, "XV", sold 4,450 copies in the United States in its first week of release to debut at position No. 145 on the Billboard 200 chart. This marked the first time in over a decade that the band had cracked the Top 200 in the first week of release. KING'S X's "Gretchen Goes To London: Live At The Astoria 5.6.90" DVD was released in November 2008 via Molken Music. The set documents the historic show at the Astoria Theatre in 1990 and includes never-before-seen footage. The DVD was produced by Wally Farkas and has a running time of 64 minutes.
- Blabbermouth posts Tom Murphy of the Denver Westword recently conducted an interview with MEGADETH bassist David Ellefson. A couple of excerpts from the chat follow here. Denver Westword: You spoke at length in the movie "The Decline of Western Civilization Part II: The Metal Years". And you didn't embarrass yourself unlike some of the other artists. How did you get to be a part of that and what was it like working with [director] Penelope Spheeris on that movie? Ellefson: Penelope really liked us, she loved Dave [Mustaine, MEGADETH mainman]. She really liked Dave's approach, that it was just raw, edgy, sort of unrefined — there's just a real animal quality that she liked about Dave's style. That was kind of how she was. She was this sort of unrefined filmmaker. That's why she liked doing punk and rock and roll movies. MEGADETH, we weren't a glossy, glitzy, rock and roll band. We were a really raw, basically a punk and metal band, which is what became thrash. We had punk attitude with metal chops. That's what lead to that. We did "No More Mr. Nice Guy" and before that "In My Darkest Hour" and the movie and stuff so we had kind of a nice little run of stuff that we did with her. Denver Westword: When you rejoined MEGADETH, what did you and Mustaine say to each other to kind of seal the deal and be able to work together again in a productive way? Ellefson: We had talked several times over the years. It wasn't like we were total strangers to each other. We got on the phone and Dave was like, "Look, this is what it is, this is where the band is at today and this is basically what we can do to make it work." I said, "You know what? Sounds good." Because, quite honestly I was sort of like, "Let's get together and see if this works." He said, "I'd love to have you here if you want to be here." And I said, "Well, I'd love to be there." That was it. I drove over, we rehearsed, it sounded great and it was a done deal. It was really simple and it was something that took what it took and it took the time that it took and when it took, it took. From there on were just said, let's just close the door on the past, let's just keep our eyes on the future and let's move forward. And that's what we've done ever since. Read the entire interview from Denver Westword.
- Blabbermouth posts DEEP PURPLE drummer Ian Paice was interviewed on Edmonton, Alberta, Canada's classic rock radio station CIRK K-97 97.3 FM when the band performed in town on February 21 as part of their 16-date Canadian tour. You can now listen to the entire 24-minute chat using the audio player below. When asked for an update on former DEEP PURPLE keyboardist Jon Lord (pictured below), who last year revealed that he was fighting cancer, Paice said, "[Jon] was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, but really early, early stages. And we know it's not a good one — whether there [ever] is a good one — but so far all the news from Jon is great. There are no more cancer cells being produced, and those that are lying dormant are being, hopefully, wiped out as we speak by a brand new treatment which he is over in Israel having right now. So we're already thinking that he may be back working in April or May."
Jon Lord is recognized for his Hammond organ blues-rock playing and unique sound and for his pioneering work in fusing rock and classical or baroque forms. He has most famously been a member of DEEP PURPLE, the band he co-founded in 1968. Lord last year received the Honorary Degree of Doctor of Music from the University of Leicester. DEEP PURPLE's 18th studio album, "Rapture of the Deep", was released in November 2005. It was the fourth studio CD from DEEP PURPLE since guitarist Steve Morse joined the band in 1994. It was also the second album to feature veteran keyboardist Don Airey. "Rapture of the Deep" was produced by Mike Bradford, who also worked on the band's previous release, 2003's "Bananas".
- Blabbermouth posts earlier this week, Michael Starr (vocals), Satchel (guitar) of Los Angeles glam metal jokersters STEEL PANTHER were interviewed by Tom and Alex of Australia's long-running rock station Triple M. You can now watch the chat below. STEEL PANTHER's sophomore album, "Balls Out", sold nearly 12,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release to debut at position No. 40 on The Billboard 200 chart. Released on November 1 via Universal Republic Records, the follow-up to 2009's "Feel The Steel" contains 14 soon-to-be classics such as "Just Like Tiger Woods", "Gold Digging Whore" and "Weenie Ride". The album also features cameos by Dane Cook on the album opener "In The Future" and NICKELBACK frontman Chad Kroeger and EXTREME axeman Nuno Bettencourt show up on an instant classic "It Won't Suck Itself". "Balls Out" was produced by Grammy-nominated producer/mixer Jay Ruston who produced the band's "Feel The Steel" debut and is known for his work with ANTHRAX, MEAT LOAF, THE DONNAS and MORRISSEY, to name a few. STEEL PANTHER is Michael Starr (vocals), Satchel (guitar), Lexxi Foxx (bass) and Stix Zadinia(drums).
- Blabbermouth reports "Metalheads - The Global Brotherhood", a new book by Jörg Brüggemann about the lives and passion of heavy metal fans around the world captured in vivid images, will be released in March via the German publisher Gestalten. The official book description: "Heavy metal is a phenomenon. Although this musical genre is still ridiculed by many, it is currently more popular and successful around the world than at its supposed peak in the 1980s. Today, so-called metalheads can be found worldwide. No matter who they are or where they come from, they are united by heavy metal across borders, generations, genders, religions, and social classes. The photographer Jörg Brüggemann traveled to Argentina, Austria, Brazil, Egypt, Germany, Indonesia, Malaysia, Switzerland and the USA to shoot pictures of heavy metal fans. 'Metalheads' is a collection of the resulting images, which strikingly portray them and their passion. The atmosphere of concerts and clubs is captured with such authenticity that viewers can practically smell the beer and sweat, and hear a ringing in their ears. The photography in 'Metalheads' is complemented by informative texts that put the global metal scene into context, share personal experiences, and describe the evolution of this musical genre from its humble beginnings until the present day. 'Metalheads' is accompanied by a complimentary CD sampler from Nuclear Blast."
Format: 28 x 22.5 cm
Features: 160 pages, full color, hardcover, landscape format
Catalog Price: €39.90 / $60.00 / £37.50
Shop Price: €39.90
For more information, go to this location. The book release will be accompanied by an exhibition which will run March 16 - April 21 at the Gestalten space in Berlin, Germany. More details can be found here.
- Blabbermouth posts Pete Bailey of the "Rock Show" on Q Radio in the U.K. conducted an interview with guitarist Bill Kelliher of Atlanta progressive metallers MASTODON when the band played at the Academy in Manchester, England on February 6. You can now listen to the chat in the YouTube clip below. MASTODON will hit the road for a spring North American tour in support of their current album "The Hunter", which was released by Reprise Records in September. The tour kicks off on April 4 in Portland, Maine, and visits more than 30 cities in the U.S. and Canada before wrapping up with a hometown show at Atlanta's Masquerade Music Park on May 12. These shows will feature an amazing night of powerful music featuring a dream bill with Swedish metal band OPETH as co-headliners, with special guest GHOST providing support on all dates. Collectively MASTODON has stated: "We're excited to co-headline this tour with OPETH for whom we have great respect and admiration. Having GHOST along as well will make this tour a special event." MASTODON was among the nominees for the 54th annual Grammy Awards, which was held on February 12, 2012 at Staples Center in Los Angeles. The band's Grammy nomination was for "Curl Of The Burl", the first single from MASTODON's new album, "The Hunter". MASTODON received its first Grammy nomination in 2006 for the single "Colony Of Birchmen", from the band's Reprise Records debut album, "Blood Mountain".
- Blabbermouth posts Metal Sanaz conducted an interview with guitarist/vocalist Robb Flynn of San Francisco Bay Area metallers MACHINE HEAD when the band performed at Avalon in Hollywood, California on February 17. You can now watch the chat below. MACHINE HEAD has just completed a North American headlining with support from SUICIDE SILENCE and DARKEST HOUR. MACHINE HEAD's new album, "Unto The Locust", sold more than 17,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release to land at position No. 22 on The Billboard 200 chart — putting MACHINE HEAD in the Top 25 for the first time in the band's 17-year history. MACHINE HEAD has consistently averaged more than 100,000 copies sold in the U.S. for each of its seven albums and has shifted double that overseas (accruing several silver records in the U.K.), resulting in cumulative worldwide sales of more than 2.4 million. MACHINE HEAD's previous CD, "The Blackening", opened with just under 15,000 units back in April 2007 to debut at No. 54 on The Billboard 200 chart. The band's 2004 effort, "Through The Ashes Of Empires", premiered with less than 12,000 copies to land at No. 88.
- Blabbermouth posts video footage of Creighton Fraker — the biological son of FLOTSAM AND JETSAM singer Eric "A.K." Knutson — performing a cover version of the 1986 CYNDI LAUPER ballad "True Colors" during last night's (Tuesday, February 28) episode of the Fox singing competition "American Idol" can be seen below. Fraker has resided in Astoria, New York for the past eight years, although he grew up in South Dakota as the adopted son of a preacher. In an interview that aired on "American idol", Fraker said, "I was adopted when I was just a little baby and I grew up as a preacher's kid, singing church music. And then, I always had this rock and roll thing going on in me and it was kind of out of nowhere. Come to find out my birth father, who I never even knew until I was, like, 25 years old, was the lead singer of this big heavy metal band from the '80s called FLOTSAM AND JETSAM. I meet my dad and I'm like 'Oh, I get it, Fine. OK, It makes sense now.'" Fraker went on to say that Knutson is "the person who really inspired me to audition for this," adding that, "He's a person whose opinion I can respect, so if he says I should be doing this, I guess, OK, I'm gonna do it." After Fraker made the final 24, his birth dad said, "I've always hoped I would have a part in his life. I just can't wait for the rest of [his] career to start right now." FLOTSAM AND JETSAM released its first album, "Doomsday For The Deceiver", on Metal Blade Records in 1986. The bassist on that LP was future METALLICA member Jason Newsted. FLOTSAM AND JETSAM's latest album, "The Cold", was released in Europe in February 2011 via Nuclear Blast. The CD was made available in North America on September 14, 2010.
- Blabbermouth posts German power metallers BLIND GUARDIAN have posted the sixth episode of Guardian TV in which they field questions submitted by their fans on Facebook. Check it out below. Clocking in at 3 minutes and 58 seconds, episode 6 of Guardian TV answers the following questions: 1. Unlike many other bands, you've consistently grown and developed. Where do you take the courage not to rely on a tried-and-tested formula? 2. You've succeeded in keeping your old fans and wowing a new, younger following for BLIND GUARDIAN at the same time. How do you do that without a striking image and extensive marketing campaigns? 3. In particular the kids from the live action role-playing scene have discovered BLIND GUARDIAN for themselves for more than two decades. How do you explain the special attraction which you hold for this scene? 4. In these times of declining CD sales, is there a danger that the BLIND GUARDIAN style of lavish audio productions will no longer be affordable? "Memories Of A Time To Come", the ultimate collection of BLIND GUARDIAN music from 1987 to 2011, was released on January 20 via Virgin/EMI. "Memories Of A Time To Come" is available as a double CD, three-CD deluxe limited edition, including the band's demo recordings when they were called LUCIFER'S HERITAGE, and as download. Commented the band: "Finally, after all these years, we have found the time to gather our most worthy songs into a best of compilation, representative of our career's first 25 years. "From the very beginning it was important for us to undertake this project only if we could put the necessary time and attention to detail into it. With overwhelming nostalgia we have looked back on 25 years and came up with 'Memories Of A Time To Come', an organic mixture of some of our greatest songs. BLIND GUARDIAN is currently collaborating with Germany's best fantasy author Markus Heitz on an orchestral album which is expected to be released in 2012. "At The Edge Of Time", the tenth studio album from BLIND GUARDIAN, sold around 4,400 copies in the United States in its first week of release to debut at position No. 108 on The Billboard 200 chart. The CD landed at position No. 1 on the Top New Artist Albums (Heatseekers) chart, which lists the best-selling albums by new and developing artists, defined as those who have never appeared in the Top 100 of The Billboard 200. BLIND GUARDIAN's previous CD, "A Twist In The Myth", opened with 3,000 units back in September 2006. "At The Edge Of Time" entered the German Media Control chart at position No. 2 — the band's strongest chart showing ever in its home country.
Guardian TV episode 6:
- Blabbermouth reports Hal Leonard has released the official, note-for-note matching guitar tab book for "American Capitalist", the third full-length album from Las Vegas metallers FIVE FINGER DEATH PUNCH. Additionally, each individual song tab is now available at www.guitarinstructor.com. "American Capitalist" debuted at No. 3 on The Billboard 200 chart, selling 91,000 copies in its first week of release. Both the chart and sales numbers were career highs for the group. FIVE FINGER DEATH PUNCH fans are able to get the brand new cover art for "American Capitalist". It features an illustration of the group's ubiquitous "mascot," Knucklehead, over the backdrop of Times Square in New York City. The new Knucklehead illustration only replaces the regular edition album version of "American Capitalist", while the deluxe edition artwork remains the same. "American Capitalist" was released as a standard CD, and a limited-edition deluxe CD format complete with special packaging plus second disc containing a number of exclusive remixes, including one for "Under And Over It". Meanwhile, the iTunes version carries the bonus track "The Tragic Truth".
- Blabbermouth reports drummer Jason Sutter, the most recent addition to MARLYN MANSON's touring lineup, has unveiled a brand new, all-black, custom-built drum kit during the first of his shows with the band. The "Sutter Manson Born Villain Set" is a Ludwig Legacy kit in a semi-matt Eggshell Black with black powder-coated hardware. The kit's Paiste cymbals are the company's 2002 Alpha series in Black Colorsound. Jason recently signed a new endorsement deal with Regal Tip sticks and is using his Signature series throughout the MANSON world tour. He uses DW Drums 9000 series including the brand's 9000 double pedal and Remo drumheads in black finish. An accomplished touring musician who performed with Chris Cornell for three years as well as FOREIGNER, NEW YORK DOLLS and VERTICAL HORIZON, to name just a few, Los Angeles-based Jason took the MANSON gig at the end of 2011 after Chris Vrenna decided to step down from the role. He recently told Jerome Marcus at Mikedolbear.com, "I only found out I had an audition the day before. I had already started learning songs just in case but I still only had a few hours to learn three more and get my drums to the audition when I found out. It was one of the more hectic ones I've experienced!" The kit was made specifically for Manson's 2012 "Born Villain" tour which is currently taking Jason across Australia for the touring Soundwave Festival. Jasonand the band then head to Japan and Taiwan for shows before returning to the U.S. for a headline tour. Spring/summer 2012 is shaping up to be a mammoth run of both festival and headline dates across Europe.
- Blabbermouth reports Alex Skolnick, lead guitarist for thrash metal veterans TESTAMENT, will shred the stage with SHITKILL, IN MUSTH and SAINT AVARICE to celebrate the first birthday of UnBlock The Rock (UBTR), a grassroots organization dedicated to breaking down political barriers through the power of heavy metal. The first initiative of UBTR is to bring Cuban heavy metal band ESCAPE, featured in the documentary "They Will Be Heard", to the U.S. to tour with their headbanging neighbors. "Metal is empowering, and bands want to share their music with the whole world," said Skolnick who will perform TESTAMENT's rock anthem "Souls Of Black" with members from participating bands on March 2. "ESCAPE is a great band. Why shouldn't they perform in front of an American audience?" Skolnick has been working with UBTR since April 2011. His interest in helping the band came from his own work as a mentor and music producer for the Iraqi heavy metal band ACRASSICAUDA, the subject of the critically acclaimed documentary "Heavy Metal In Baghdad". The film followed ACRASSICAUDA and their struggles to perform their music in a war torn nation. The band has since relocated to the United States. Monica Hampton, producer of "Heavy Metal in Baghdad" and "Fahrenheit 911", is also at the helm of UBTR, and has been guiding the development of the organization. Originally an effort to bring ESCAPE to New York to perform, it was Hampton who broadened the organization to include metal bands from all over the world. "It was incredible to see ACRASSICAUDA successfully tour across America last summer; they grew as musicians and as people," she said. "We need more artists from around the world to tour the U.S. and share their music with us, UBTR will make that happen." Skolnick and Hampton have worked with UBTR on several projects, including "UnBlock The Cocktail", a recent "Top Chef"-style cocktail competition and fundraiser in Manhattan, for which Skolnick and Hampton were judges. The winning cocktail, 53 Cadillac, was created by "Izzi", Boca Grande's own bartender, it will be available as a drink special for the first time the night of the birthday show. UBTR was born from the documentary "They Will be Heard", the first feature-length film on Cuban heavy metal. Director Tracey Noelle Luz followed ESCAPE in Cuba for nine months, immersing herself in the Cuban metal culture. Luz and Jennifer Hernandez, the original keyboard player of ESCAPE who currently resides in New Jersey, launched UBTR in February of 2011. "Like most world-changing movements, UBTR was born in the kitchen with two women," Luz said. "Working with only some vision and a little bit of fight, the UBTR family has only expanded, proving that what brings us together is stronger than what separates us. ESCAPE will be performing in New York soon enough." Because of immigration policies between the two countries, the visa process to bring musicians from Cuba to the U.S. is expensive and time consuming. The event will take place on Friday, March 2 from 10:30 p.m. to 2 a.m. at Boca Grande, located at 564 Washington Blvd, in Jersey City's ultra-hip Newport waterfront. Tickets are available for those 21 and older at the door. $10 includes admission to the party of year and, of course, cake. A percentage of proceeds from the event go to UBTR in efforts to bring ESCAPE to the U.S. to perform.
- Blabbermouth posts heavy music presenter Christina Rowatt of Soundwave TV conducted an interview with Canadian musician/producer Devin Townsend (STRAPPING YOUNG LAD, STEVE VAI, LAMB OF GOD, DARKEST HOUR, GWAR) this past Sunday (February 26) at the Soundwave Festival in Sydney, Australia. You can now watch the chat in two parts below. Townsend played four shows in London in November 2011 dedicated to his tetralogy album concept — a great journey through Devin's different states of musical moods — which he started in 2009 with the albums "Addicted" (2009) and "Ki" (2009) and finished with last year's "Deconstruction" and "Ghost". The concerts were professionally recorded and filmed for a unique box-set release, which he has decided to call "By A Thread". Speaking to AOL's Noisecreep, Townsend stated about the upcoming multi-disc package, "I submitted the mixes for the audio and we just finished the cover. I think the entire project is like a 10-disc set or something ridiculous. . . We're going to do the four DVDs, four audio discs [CDS], one of bonus footage, and because the shows are too long to fit the encores on the audio discs, we have a disc of just the encores. . . There's bonus material from 'Ghosts' and 'Deconstruction'. We did a bunch of PUNKY BRÜSTER stuff [Townsend's 1996 project] and for 'Addicted' [concert] we did a bunch of old catalog stuff, just to flesh it out. So the people that come to the show are not just feeling ripped off that we played for 55 minutes and then buggered off." Devin also spoke about his next project, which he will begin recording next month after completing his appearance at Australia's Soundwave Festival. "I'm doing this record called 'Epicloud'," he said. "Over the course of the full record, there's sort of new agey stuff, jazzy stuff, really heavy stuff. We basically cover the gamut. 'Epicloud' is the first record that I felt confident enough to include all those things on one record so it goes between melodic hard rock to schizophrenic heavy metal to country to really ambient stuff and it's all in one place. I'm using a gospel choir, a string section and a horn section for this one as well. On 'Deconstruction', I got to use the Prague Philharmonic and really go far into making an absurd album as over the top as possible and on 'Epicloud' I'm trying to take the same advantages to make some things musically very pleasing, as opposed to just claustrophobic." DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT released "Contain Us", a special tribute box set for its epic quadrology ("Ki", "Addicted", "Deconstruction" and "Ghost") on November 29, 2011 in North America. "Contain Us" was designed and created by Man Alive's Tom Bejgrowicz (who also conceived the classic and must-have MISFITS "Coffin" box-set) and is the ultimate collection for every diehard Devin fan. The standard box-set is priced at $80.00 while the hand-numbered box with the 10" and a lithograph drawn and autographed by Devin is $100.
- Blabbermouth posts "Analysis Paralysis", the new video from British/American grindcore pioneers NAPALM DEATH, can be seen below. The clip was shot and edited by the band's own guitarist, Mitch Harris, who has his own unique underground style and manages perfectly to capture the energy, hate and sheer power of NAPALM DEATH's songs. "Analysis Paralysis" comes off NAPALM DEATH's 14th studio album (excluding the cover album "Leaders Not Followers"), "Utilitarian", which was released on February 27 in Europe and February 28 in North America via the band's longtime partner, Century Media Records. The cover artwork (see below) perfectly fits the album's theme and was created by the Danish artist Frode Sylthe, who is also responsible for THE HAUNTED's "rEVOLVEr" artwork. NAPALM DEATH frontman Mark "Barney" Greenway explains the album title and concept: "After some deliberation, we have decided on 'Utilitarian' as the album title. We generally try to avoid generic titles, and this seemed to have a lot of scope to it. I won't explain the full meaning of utilitarianism here because it's an ethical theory, and as ethical theories go, the depth and debate around it is quite heavy at times. It has a certain 'morality' aspect to it and that isn't something that drives me, so I also certainly have issues with it." "So, rather than just nail that straight to the mast, of course we wanted to put our own spin on it by suggesting that those (i.e. the utilitarian in us, perhaps) who try to challenge everything, or fight against conventions, well, we go through periods of real self-doubt where we wonder if we're really making a difference. I suppose the conclusion is that, for the sake of all our freedoms, you should never stop, as even the feeling of resistance is at least a signal to those who would like to entirely control and dominate us — meaning everything from our instinctive behavior to our human entitlement to walk the earth unprovoked. Fan-filmed video footage of NAPALM DEATH performing "Analysis Paralysis" on January 27 at the Vortex club in Siegen, Germany can be seen below. Read more at Loudwire
"Analysis Paralysis" video:
"Analysis Paralysis" performance:
- Blabbermouth posts Samson, Hartke, Zoom and Best Buy are pleased to announce the third installment of Samson's "Metal Masters" series, which will be held on Thursday, April 12 at the Key Club on the famed Sunset Strip in West Hollywood, CA. Doors will open at 7:00 p.m. Having blown audiences away at "Metal Masters 2" in New York City with surprise appearances by Philip Anselmo (PANTERA, DOWN) and Scott Ian (ANTHRAX), as well as a full ANTHRAX performance, Charlie Benante and Frank Bello (both of ANTHRAX), David Ellefson (MEGADETH), Mike Portnoy (ADRENALINE MOB, ex-DREAM THEATER), Kerry King and now Dave Lombardo (both of SLAYER) are back on the West Coast with an exclusive metal experience that's bigger than ever. Artists will perform both individually and collectively, demonstrating their personal techniques and how they all come together to create the music that millions bang their heads to every day. "We're extremely excited to be working with Best Buy to bring Metal Masters back to the West Coast where it originated," says Mark Menghi, Samson's Director of Marketing. "And with the artists we have participating and the surprises we have planned, 'Metal Masters 3' is going to be the best one yet." Tickets are available for $20 (on a first-come-first served basis) at the Key Club's box office, located at 9039 Sunset Boulevard, or via www.keyclub.com. With door giveaways and surprise guests, all should purchase their tickets early for this all-ages event to witness the return of the "Metal Masters". Read more at Loudwire
- Blabbermouth reports "Not Supposed To Sing The Blues", the new single from Swedish hard rockers EUROPE, will be released digitally on March 9. The song comes off the band's ninth studio album, "Bag Of Bones", due on April 27 via earMusic/Edel. The CD, which features a guest appearance by blues-rock guitarist Joe Bonamassa (BLACK COUNTRY COMMUNION), was produced by Kevin Shirley, who has previously worked with IRON MAIDEN, JOE BONAMASSA, BLACK COUNTRY COMMUNION, BLACK STONE CHERRY and JOURNEY, among others. Commented EUROPE frontman Joey Tempest: "Kevin Shirley did such a great job capturing the spirit of this band. He just let us do our thing and then pushed us and our songs to the max. Finally we express ourselves completely without restraint. Straight from heart and soul. It took some time but we have arrived!" Added EUROPE guitar virtuoso John Norum: "Why drive VW beetle when you can drive a Rolls Royce?! 'Bag Of Bones' is a classic rock album with lots of class. Even my mom likes it!" Regarding the new CD title, EUROPE drummer Ian Haugland said, "It's not [called 'Bag Of Bones'] because we all have lost tons of weight or found a new interest in archeology or dogs... It's just because it sounds fuckin' cool!" In a July 2011 press release, Tempest stated about EUROPE's new CD, "We still feel we have one hell of a rock record to make. Kevin's the man for the job. We love his work with BONAMASSA, BLACK COUNTRY COMMUNION, and BLACK STONE CHERRY. He's the real deal. We're ready to do some serious damage." Last year, EUROPE met up with Shirley in Stockholm to discuss the direction of the next album. Based on reactions from the fans and media, EUROPE's 2009 album, "Last Look At Eden", proved to be the band's most important record since "The Final Countdown". "I've been a big fan of EUROPE's work for many years," said Shirley. "The band is influential and highly underrated. I can't wait to make the upcoming album their most explosive to date." The new material suggests a more straightforward rock approach evident in "Doghouse" — a new song EUROPE performed on their most recent U.K. tour (see video below). The song is also featured on EUROPE's "Europe: Live at Shepherd's Bush" DVD, released in August 2011 via earMUSIC CDs and DVDs. earMUSIC last year released a limited deluxe book with pictures by Denis O'Regan. "Live Look At Eden" features exclusive live audio and the stunning performance at 2010's iTunes Festival in London.
- Blabbermouth reports "Theme Park Family Fun", the new video from ROSVO, the Swedish hardcore band fronted by former THE HAUNTED vocalist Peter Dolving, can be seen below. The song comes off the group's debut EP, "Ticks And Ants", which is available on iTunes. The clip was created by THE HAUNTED guitarist Anders Björler, Hans Simonen and Mark Alan Loso as "a continued cooperation of vigilante art for art's own sake."
"Ticks And Ants" track listing:
01. Mommy Dearest
02. Start Chopping
04. Theme Park Family Fun
ROSVO is currently touring Scandinavia and putting the finishing touches on the material for the follow-up to "Ticks And Ants". According to Dolving, the forthcoming effort will be "a nice friendly audio anvil administered to the frontallobe of our beloved audience." ROSVO has been entertaining "tiny punk rock clubs and drunkard pub audiences" around Sweden and Denmark in January and February and will continue to do so throughout 2012. Currently unsigned and quite happily so, the four-piece outfit delivers a diverse and highly personal brand of intense, catchy heaviness more akin to that of DEAD GUY, COALESCE, CONVERGE and KEN MODE than more traditional hardcore. In an interview with Metal Shock Finland, Dolving stated about ROSVO, "[The band] in itself is not really open for speculation or storytelling. It's all about the music and the words. Anything outside of that, and the images it brings out are really completely uninteresting." Regarding ROSVO's musical direction and lyrical themes, Dolving said, "We are like a fastfood hardcore. We ARE the identikit. We ARE the cool tattoos. We ARE the macho. The über-tough guys, and a token of a politically correct. We are more straight-edge than an ecological box, We are stamped justice mince soy and we are angry. Very very angry. I'm sure some people will feel a great deal of discomfort by our well-defined agro. We are like Ninja in the night. Oh yes. Beware." ROSVO consists of Dolving, Hans Simonen, Martin Lundgren and David Andersson. Dolving announced his departure from THE HAUNTED earlier today, writing on his Facebook page, "I have had it. I will NOT answer questions to why. It's no one else's business. I am looking forward to seeing you people at other shows with other projects." Read more at Loudwire
"Theme Park Family Fun" video:
Return to previous page
Send to a friend
MTV's Daily Video
Between the Bu..